The Student Room Group

Modern Music is all about vanity

this is kinda a rant as I am more into rock(zeppelin sabbath Dpurple Doors) but my sister loves Cardi B, Ariana Grande etc.
As she was playing music it occurred to that almost all music we hear is about how much better the singer is than anyone else, "7 rings" is literally a song about how good it is to be rich same as "I like it", I thought this was probably just me but as I listen to more new releases it seems to me as just a huge narcissistic obsession with oneself despite most of the so called musicians not even writing their own songs.

Does anyone else share this view?
if you would listen to ariana grande's discography you would hear songs such as Better Days which is a black lives matter song and also Get Well Soon and Breathin which bring attention to mental health issues and dealing with them. yes 7 rings is flashy but its more about her friendships if you would listen to the lyrics...
as for cardi b...i cant defend her, she's only in it for the bag
As much as I also love rock music, sometimes that can be the same if going by your definition of "vanity".

You're gonna find it in most genres.
Reply 3
You'll find only what you look for~
Reply 4
Mate the majority of rock music, including the stuff by the artists you mention, is about shagging, taking assorted drugs, or wanting to be rich/famous. Catch on.
Porcupine Tree made a song titled ''The Sound of Muzak'' which lyrically states how the music of the future (today's music) is bland and has no meaning.

''The music of the future will not entertain, It's only meant to repress and neutralise your brain''.
Reply 6
All about narcissistic prima donnas really. Still some talent amongst all the trite though. Just got to search it out.
Original post by gjd800
Mate the majority of rock music, including the stuff by the artists you mention, is about shagging, taking assorted drugs, or wanting to be rich/famous. Catc

Original post by applesam
this is kinda a rant as I am more into rock(zeppelin sabbath Dpurple Doors) but my sister loves Cardi B, Ariana Grande etc.
As she was playing music it occurred to that almost all music we hear is about how much better the singer is than anyone else, "7 rings" is literally a song about how good it is to be rich same as "I like it", I thought this was probably just me but as I listen to more new releases it seems to me as just a huge narcissistic obsession with oneself despite most of the so called musicians not even writing their own songs.

Does anyone else share this view?

Agreed, I'm not into most music now, only really rock or heavy metal, likes of Iron Maiden, Sabbath, Def Leppard..
Reply 8
Original post by charlotte.b848
Agreed, I'm not into most music now, only really rock or heavy metal, likes of Iron Maiden, Sabbath, Def Leppard..

Nearly everything Def Lep wrote was about shagging, ha
You obviously haven't listened to a wide range of modern music. Your opinions are based on generalisations, are unoriginal and boring.

Thank you, next!:rolleyes:
Well yeh maybe but still better than all the modern stuff
Original post by gjd800
Nearly everything Def Lep wrote was about shagging, ha

Quick Reply

Latest