Last edited by Hashirama13; 2 years ago
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Hashirama13)
Hi, thank you for the reply!
Let's say i get into that program, can i put in my CV and linkedin LSE as my university or it will be misleading?
no since accurately speaking, LSE is not running the programme. you could put "programme name" from "university x with lse"
Hashirama13
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by HoldThisL)
no since accurately speaking, LSE is not running the programme. you could put "programme name" from "university x with lse"
Ahh i see, ok, thank you!

Will UoL international degree provide me with the opportunity to work at companies like GoldmanSachs or Mckinsey?
Or i will have better chance with going to some non-target school like Univerisity of City London to get into those companies?
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Hashirama13)
Ahh i see, ok, thank you!

Will UoL international degree provide me with the opportunity to work at companies like GoldmanSachs or Mckinsey?
Or i will have better chance with going to some non-target school like Univerisity of City London to get into those companies?
go to a target university

but bro

please stop talking about UoL - it's not a thing of any importance

LSE and UCL are both members of UoL and both are well reputed
City, University of London is also a member of UoL but it is average. the fact that it is a member of UoL does not make it better

having a degree "from the UoL" is of no bearing unless you tell a hypothetical employer which member institution of UoL it is from
damselbrujah
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think it is pretty likely that you can put LSE on your CV if you pursue this. I think that any solid advice is premature, because we don't know which program you're talking about or to what extent LSE is involved. For example, for the Columbia-LSE global history program, you formally get a degree from both. If it's just a module or something you do at LSE, it's a stretch of the truth if you say you got a degree from there without being very clear about the exact nature of the program. If it's co-coordinated by LSE, I don't see a problem. That said, the only time I've ever heard of universities being very fastidious about what you put on your CV after you graduate is Harvard's extension school, who apparently regularly email their graduates to inform them their qualification's name has been watered down again. An old boss of mine did a week long program at Cambridge and put it at the top of his education section on LinkedIn 🤷

It's true that UoL isn't something to worry about. What the UoL is is a sort of organisational umbrella of various London universities that has mostly become obsolete since most universities began to grant their own degrees with their own names on them. If I see that someone has graduated from the "University of London," I suspect that they went to a less-esteemed school and are covering for it with the umbrella label.

That said, if you are applying for work in eastern Europe, things are totally different, so I also think it's bad to say categorically that not including the UoL name is beneficial. You know your employers/audience better than we do. McKinsey doesn't care about UoL, that's true.

Anyway, none of this matters that much. And yeah LSE is actually much less exclusive and rigorous than people seem to think re: requirements. But given that we don't know which program you're talking about, I am talking out of my ass.
Hashirama13
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by HoldThisL)
go to a target university

but bro

please stop talking about UoL - it's not a thing of any importance

LSE and UCL are both members of UoL and both are well reputed
City, University of London is also a member of UoL but it is average. the fact that it is a member of UoL does not make it better

having a degree "from the UoL" is of no bearing unless you tell a hypothetical employer which member institution of UoL it is from
thankss
Last edited by Hashirama13; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
22.48%
Excited but a bit nervous (117)
45.35%
Not bothered either way (34)
13.18%
I'm really nervous (49)
18.99%

Watched Threads