The Student Room Group

Effects of language devices. - English

In my book it says for a example " Adjectives are used effetivley in "Night of the scoprion" to describe the scene vivdly ......"

These type of things i cant do . I cant explain what the effect is .

So has anyone got some kinda list or something they can post for effects of language devices.
Reply 1
Short sentences: for emphasis
Alliteration: could be for emphasis but mostly for the sound, eg alliteration of S sounds like waves at sea.etc
Metaphor: to convey a vivid image to the reader
Simile: to give the reader an image of what something looks like
Repetition: For emphasis, to show a point e.g. Not my Business, repetition shows the continued ignorance of the person.
Contrast: to compare to images and show their differences/similarities
Personal Pronoun: 1st Person: Give a more personal view of the poem.
2nd Person: to give the impression of directly talking to the reader.
Puns: to create curiosity or interest
Emotive Expressions: To make the reader feel something about the poem.
Ridiculing (e.g Half-Caste): to show that something is stupid or wrong.

There :smile: There might be other interpretations by others, but this is what I was taught.
Reply 2
The above is helpful.
Reply 3
Metaphors to "grip" the reader?? - explains why im failing
Reply 4
Vaza
Short sentences: for emphasis
Alliteration: could be for emphasis but mostly for the sound, eg alliteration of S sounds like waves at sea.etc
Metaphor: to convey a vivid image to the reader
Simile: to give the reader an image of what something looks like
Repetition: For emphasis, to show a point e.g. Not my Business, repetition shows the continued ignorance of the person.
Contrast: to compare to images and show their differences/similarities
Personal Pronoun: 1st Person: Give a more personal view of the poem.
2nd Person: to give the impression of directly talking to the reader.
Puns: to create curiosity or interest
Emotive Expressions: To make the reader feel something about the poem.
Ridiculing (e.g Half-Caste): to show that something is stupid or wrong.

There :smile: There might be other interpretations by others, but this is what I was taught.

Thank you very much. When i csn figure how to + rep on this forum you getting some.
Reply 5
Stu24
Thank you very much. When i csn figure how to + rep on this forum you getting some.

Theres a Thumbs up/Thumbs Down button at the top right of the post that you want to rep :wink:
i dont understand english language.
I always get stuck on this part when writing my answer and end up writing something very vague for example, the writer uses short sentences to bring drama into the situation this makes the reader feel shocked.

I'd say just try to look up interesting emotional words, for how the reader will feel, on Thesaurus and remember them because then you will have a wide variety of language.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending