Help! My housemate will not give me my share of the credit from the gas company ! Watch

Thabi18
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hello, I am hoping to get some advice on what i should do about a bill dispute in my student accomodation.

I live with 2 other girls in my house and the bills are in one girls name. At the end of the May me and one of the girls moved out early. We are meant to receive a credit refund from British gas because we have money we have not used through out the year. The bills are in the girls name that is staying in the property after we leave and she refuses to show us the statements which show how much we having been paying to british has for the entire year. She says she will provide statements and return our credit to us once we have paid her bills for the month of may.

I have chosen to withold the bill for the month of may due to the fact that she will not provide proof on the statements and i do not trust her to give me my share of the credit.

Bills are in her name so legally she does not have to return the credit to me, and I do not have to give her my share of May's bills until i have statements because my name is not on the bill.

Help! I don't know what to do and she has no threatened me with going to court. Does she have a leg to stand on ?

I have told her that once she provides me with statements for proof of how much british gas has been charging us then I will happily send her the bill for may but she is reluctant to provide the information which leads me to believe she has been over charging us.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Thabi18)
Hello, I am hoping to get some advice on what i should do about a bill dispute in my student accomodation.

I live with 2 other girls in my house and the bills are in one girls name. At the end of the May me and one of the girls moved out early. We are meant to receive a credit refund from British gas because we have money we have not used through out the year. The bills are in the girls name that is staying in the property after we leave and she refuses to show us the statements which show how much we having been paying to british has for the entire year. She says she will provide statements and return our credit to us once we have paid her bills for the month of may.

I have chosen to withold the bill for the month of may due to the fact that she will not provide proof on the statements and i do not trust her to give me my share of the credit.

Bills are in her name so legally she does not have to return the credit to me, and I do not have to give her my share of May's bills until i have statements because my name is not on the bill.

Help! I don't know what to do and she has no threatened me with going to court. Does she have a leg to stand on ?

I have told her that once she provides me with statements for proof of how much british gas has been charging us then I will happily send her the bill for may but she is reluctant to provide the information which leads me to believe she has been over charging us.
It all sounds very childish.
Highly unlikely she will take you to court.

Why cant she just tell or show you how much credit there is?
How much are the bills for May?

Presumably you both just want to pay the amount you owe as well as get the credit you are due.

If you know the bill owed and the credit then you can take the credit off the bills and leave it at that.

StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
"Send me a copy of the bill and i'll settle my share of it at once"

"No"

"Ok then, I still expect my credit refunded, cya"

Is the account in credit by a significant amount or are we talking like under £100 here?
Thabi18
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
"Send me a copy of the bill and i'll settle my share of it at once"

"No"

"Ok then, I still expect my credit refunded, cya"

Is the account in credit by a significant amount or are we talking like under £100 here?
we have £300 in credit for bills that the gas company owe to us
Thabi18
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Highly unlikely she will take you to court.

Why cant she just tell or show you how much credit there is?
How much are the bills for May?

Presumably you both just want to pay the amount you owe as well as get the credit you are due.

If you know the bill owed and the credit then you can take the credit off the bills and leave it at that.

She is refusing to show the statements because she is hiding something. We feel as though she has been overcharging us in bills for the past year. bills for may between me and the other girl are £55. The girl who lives there does not want to show statments first or share the credit until we have sent the bill for may.

It is all very childish but I still want my share of the £300 credit since that it my money too.
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
*shrug* showing you statements shouldn't be conditional on payments being up to date, if anything they should be used to support demands for payment.

You don't live there now, just flat out tell her you feel there's something big she isn't telling you and you want to see proof of the expenses demanded.
SMEGGGY
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Why aren't your other housemates saying or doing any thing?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Thabi18)
She is refusing to show the statements because she is hiding something. We feel as though she has been overcharging us in bills for the past year. bills for may between me and the other girl are £55. The girl who lives there does not want to show statments first or share the credit until we have sent the bill for may.

It is all very childish but I still want my share of the £300 credit since that it my money too.
Just ring the electric company and see if they can give you an estimate.
Does the SU have a mediator or is there a third party you both trust who can see the bills and give you a number?
Presumably you fell out at some stage.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (394)
43.97%
No (91)
10.16%
I'm not old enough (411)
45.87%

Watched Threads