The Student Room Group

Applying for MSc funding (past cancellation)

Hey all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has started a Master's course, then cancelled and then reapplied the following year...

I applied for a course and immediately regretted signing up for it when September came around, so I cancelled it and decided to work for another year and I applied somewhere else. Anyway, I've just gone to do my Student Finance but it says I'm not eligible as I already received funding for another master's, even though I sent all the money back that they sent me last September.

Any ideas on what I can do if anyone has been in this situation before?

Thanks
Original post by itsprobablykyle
Hey all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has started a Master's course, then cancelled and then reapplied the following year...

I applied for a course and immediately regretted signing up for it when September came around, so I cancelled it and decided to work for another year and I applied somewhere else. Anyway, I've just gone to do my Student Finance but it says I'm not eligible as I already received funding for another master's, even though I sent all the money back that they sent me last September.

Any ideas on what I can do if anyone has been in this situation before?

Thanks

Given that you didn't cancel your loan before you received the first instalment, then Student Finance will count that as having received a postgraduate loan previously, making you ineligible for another. You don't seem to have any extenuating circumstances regarding your cancellation which would allow you to get another loan, so you may be out of luck.

It's a similar situation to if you never received Student Finance but already have an equivalent qualification; they don't see it as your 'fair share' of funding, they view it an opportunity you've simply missed out on.
The reason I decided to drop the course was because some aspects of the course changed, they removed the placement module and changed some of the ways the course was examined. I was also going through a pretty rough place at home, like I said, I’ve paid it all back. I’ve spoken to SFE and they’ve suggested I get a letter from the uni to state I never actually started the course as that might help overturn a decision?
Original post by itsprobablykyle
The reason I decided to drop the course was because some aspects of the course changed, they removed the placement module and changed some of the ways the course was examined. I was also going through a pretty rough place at home, like I said, I’ve paid it all back. I’ve spoken to SFE and they’ve suggested I get a letter from the uni to state I never actually started the course as that might help overturn a decision?

You might as well try, you have nothing to lose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending