was A levels harder than university/degree Watch

Schoolquestions
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm currently doing A levels (Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Philosophy)
to put it simply, I'm dying right now and I constantly feel overwhelmed by work
does it get worse at uni or will the pressure ease slightly?
I know it depends a lot on the course, - I'm thinking of doing psychology or audiology at uni.

Do you guys think it's gonna get worse, or is this as bad as it gets?

edit: I understand the course content will be harder, but I mean the overall experience, getting good grades, levels of pressure and amount of content (rather than difficulty of content). does that worsen at university?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Schoolquestions; 2 months ago
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
A-levels being harder than degree is just something (some) teachers say.

What I think they mean by this is that there's a gigantic step up from GCSE to A-level and that's a steep learning curve on how to learn/revise/time manage properly and that once these things are mastered after hair raising levels of stress, that degree is kinda all right, with a lot of hard work. I guess that's fine as an opinion/insight, they see rather a lot of people over many years and picking up on trends for some groups.

I don't subscribe to that view, I think degree is way harder than A-levels.

I have met a few individuals who have said the above themselves that A-levels were harder. I had an ex that did Sociology and she and a few of her friends said at the end of undergrad that in hindsight degree was just like A-levels but more chilled out and didn't learn that much. However, that was quite interesting as she immediately went onto a master's degree and got quite a lot of a shock .

A general piece of advice. Just keep going with the exams. That horrible empty burnt out feeling, keep going. It will be over, I know it doesn't feel like it. Do your best and in many cases you'll do better than you think. Additionally these thoughts of 'can I manage at uni' and 'do I have a future', negativity, they creep in under extreme moments of stress like A-levels.

Uni in the first year in many courses is mostly adjustment period and learning other things . I interact with a lot of Psychology students and my impression is the pressure ramps up in the second half of the second year quite significantly.
Schoolquestions
Rep:
?
(Original post by marinade)
A-levels being harder than degree is just something (some) teachers say.

What I think they mean by this is that there's a gigantic step up from GCSE to A-level and that's a steep learning curve on how to learn/revise/time manage properly and that once these things are mastered after hair raising levels of stress, that degree is kinda all right, with a lot of hard work. I guess that's fine as an opinion/insight, they see rather a lot of people over many years and picking up on trends for some groups.

I don't subscribe to that view, I think degree is way harder than A-levels.

I have met a few individuals who have said the above themselves that A-levels were harder. I had an ex that did Sociology and she and a few of her friends said at the end of undergrad that in hindsight degree was just like A-levels but more chilled out and didn't learn that much. However, that was quite interesting as she immediately went onto a master's degree and got quite a lot of a shock .

A general piece of advice. Just keep going with the exams. That horrible empty burnt out feeling, keep going. It will be over, I know it doesn't feel like it. Do your best and in many cases you'll do better than you think. Additionally these thoughts of 'can I manage at uni' and 'do I have a future', negativity, they creep in under extreme moments of stress like A-levels.

Uni in the first year in many courses is mostly adjustment period and learning other things . I interact with a lot of Psychology students and my impression is the pressure ramps up in the second half of the second year quite significantly.
thanks for your reply, much appreciated.
username4340172
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I got an A* at A level maths , now I study Maths at University and I've got to say Maths is a lot lot tougher at University! So I'd say uni is harder than a levels
MidgetFever
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I think the general consensus is that it'll be harder, but it also depends on how you're assessed and what your strengths are.

Mine's definitely a lot harder. I'm studying Law and A-level law is a joke in comparison.
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Schoolquestions)
thanks for your reply, much appreciated.
A bit of a waffly reply from me . I guess in terms of rites of passage/learning study skills some people seem to pick those up at A-level and then don't run into significant problems at degree level. Actual material at university is harder*.

*University courses have a lot of variation. So you will have fun finding this out. Some undergrads when I did my degree had 2hrs a week of contact time, others 40. Similarly in Psychology at my university third years have only three hours a week, which people don't tend to mention to people outside Psychology circles .
Schoolquestions
Rep:
?
(Original post by MidgetFever)
I think the general consensus is that it'll be harder, but it also depends on how you're assessed and what your strengths are.

Mine's definitely a lot harder. I'm studying Law and A-level law is a joke in comparison.
thanks for the reply.
MinaBee
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The actual content is a lot more difficult but I'd say by the time exams come around it's not as stressful. It's not like at A-level where your whole grade is based off exams, there are other factors such as essays, group work, participation, attendance etc. that will help determine your grade too. If you completely mess up an exam there's a chance you'll still pass if you haven't been lazy all year (unless you're doing a module that's 100% exam, but that's a different story).
Schoolquestions
Rep:
?
(Original post by MinaBee)
The actual content is a lot more difficult but I'd say by the time exams come around it's not as stressful. It's not like at A-level where your whole grade is based off exams, there are other factors such as essays, group work, participation, attendance etc. that will help determine your grade too. If you completely mess up an exam there's a chance you'll still pass if you haven't been lazy all year (unless you're doing a module that's 100% exam, but that's a different story).
oh I wasn't aware of that. thanks a lot for the reply
hobba
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Depends on the person. For some its harder, for others easier. For me Uni was easier because I was a lazy good for nothing at high school, did no work outside class, and just got enough to get into uni - not a prestigious one either - but it did have small classes, was close to where I worked (I decided to go part time), and I got to know the professors well.. But in uni I worked my butt off. Then it was easy - the material became second nature.

So my advice is it's just a matter of the amount of work you want to do and your expectations.

Thanks
Bill
Last edited by hobba; 2 months ago
Schoolquestions
Rep:
?
(Original post by hobba)
Depends on the person. For some its harder, for others easier. For me Uni was easier because I was a lazy good for nothing at high school, did no work outside class, and just got enough to get into uni - not a prestigious one either - but it did have small classes, was close to where I worked (I decided to go part time), and I got to know the professors well.. But in uni I worked my butt off. Then it was easy - the material became second nature.

So my advice is its its just a matter of the amount of work you want to do and your expectations.

Thanks
Bill
oh ok that's cool thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.71%
Excited (151)
9.01%
Worried (303)
18.08%
Terrified (375)
22.37%
Meh (155)
9.25%
Confused (37)
2.21%