AQA A Level Chemistry, elements sulfur and phosphorous

Watch
K.C.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
In the writing of chemical equations does anyone know what AQA expect with regards to writing phosphorous and sulfur?

Do they want P or P4, S or S8?

Thanks.
ChemistryWebsite
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When writing an equation which includes elements, use their molecular formula.
You wouldn't write just Cl or O or N in an equation (hopefully) and you wouldn't just write P or S either.

Use P4 and S8.
K.C.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
The diatomic elements are obviously supposed to be written Cl2 etc because that's how they exist naturally. But if I asked you to write the products of the redox reaction with HI and sulphuric acid to produce sulfur, textbooks and mark schemes do not write S8. Equally, when asked to show the formation of phosphorus (V) oxide I have seen it accepted to write 4P + etc...
However in some places it seems to be preferred to use their molecular formula, whence my question.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (738)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (928)
42.69%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (413)
19%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise