BigManTing94
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Is there any reason to take advanced highers? I get if you like the subject or are going to study it at uni but is there any point taking more than 1 advanced higher over just a regular higher?
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well it depends. You are right with studying it because most of it will be useful when you start uni.

Also if you take AH’S then you get most of the week free. I had 2 AH’s and 2 Highers in 6th year and half my week was free. It does help with balancing a workload.
BigManTing94
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I see, thanks for the info
Strelzo
Badges: 20
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BigManTing94)
Is there any reason to take advanced highers? I get if you like the subject or are going to study it at uni but is there any point taking more than 1 advanced higher over just a regular higher?
If you get into University, advanced highers account for your first year at University, so you will be placed as a graduate rather than an undergraduate. They are really useless in my opinion; which is exactly the reason why I want to leave for University at the end of 5th year, but if I have to then I will take Advanced Higher Mathematics and Computing Science.
snazzles
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you're applying to Oxbridge or similar then they use advanced highers to see how you cope with the workload to ensure you're going to be able to keep up with their coursework. It mostly shows ability rather than anything you really need to learn since it's similar to the first year of uni
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm planning on applying to Cambridge and doing 3 AH because that is their requirement. Starting with 4 and will likely drop 1.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Strelzo)
If you get into University, advanced highers account for your first year at University, so you will be placed as a graduate rather than an undergraduate. They are really useless in my opinion; which is exactly the reason why I want to leave for University at the end of 5th year, but if I have to then I will take Advanced Higher Mathematics and Computing Science.
Graduate? Graduate = someone's who's graduated from university.

I highly recommend doing Advanced Highers if you can. I studied French, Spanish and Japanese at Edinburgh and doing AH in Spanish, History and English helped me soooo much to cope with 1st year, especially the skills gained from my AHs in Spanish and History.

My friends who were also doing French and Spanish at Edinburgh uni and hadn't done an AH level in the subject struggled so much in 1st year. Even though 1st year isn't worth anything, they literally scraped low 50s while I was getting high 2:1s and Firsts. This set me up really well for 2nd year as well. AH History helped me loads with research and essay skills at university level - it was invaluable to be honest.

My friends who did History, English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Comp Sci degrees etc at Edinburgh said the exact same things - the skills gained from their AH subjects was essential. The people who hadn't done them genuinely suffered through first year. Of course, it's not impossible to do well in First year without an AH, but it can seem a bit of an uphill climb.

That said, these were my experiences at Edinburgh and I can't speak for other universities. I can say though that as a languages student, a Higher in a language does not, at all, prepare you for university level language studies at Edinburgh. My language degree was 50% language and 50% culture/history/lit/philosophy/politics/international relations etc. Regarding the latter 50%, I would have definitely struggled so much had I only done Higher History or English and hadn't done them at AH.

The AH dissertations/extended essays were particularly useful. Every essay I did at university (apart from my mini-dissertation and main dissertation) was around 2500 - 3500 words. The 3000 - 4500 word dissertations/extended essays that I did at AH prepped me quite a bit for essay writing at university!
Last edited by Quick-use; 2 years ago
Strelzo
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
Graduate? Graduate = someone's who's graduated from university.
Blame my teachers then lol, I was informed wrong. The teacher I spoke to said "You are classified as an Undergraduate when in your first year, and henceforth you are a graduate." From what I remember, they went on to explain that you are tested at the end of every academic year, and given a qualification based on your grade achieved in an examination.
Last edited by Strelzo; 2 years ago
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Strelzo)
Blame my teachers then lol, I was informed wrong. The teacher I spoke to said "You are classified as an Undergraduate when in your first year, and henceforth you are a graduate." From what I remember, they went on to explain that you are tested at the end of every academic year, and given a qualification based on your grade achieved in an examination.
Yes, your teacher wasn't correct.

• Undergraduate degree students = undergraduate student OR undergrad
  • Students who have graduated with a degree from university = graduate
  • Students doing a post-graduate degree = graduate student OR postgrad

I also would not recommend high school students to skip first year of university. I'd only recommend it for mature students, people who can't afford studying 4 years or people who, for whatever reason, want to rush through their degree. For the regular student, first year is integral for making friends and learning from mistakes. It allows for huge growth and settling into university life, studies and becoming accustomed to sound academic practice. A lot of things that I was taught at high school were wrong and I had an incredible number of bad habits which took a long time to rectify.

Advanced Highers aren't useless and I don't think you can make that judgement, especially if 1) you haven't done them yet 2) you haven't been to university yet and can't compare what you learned at AH to what you're learning at university 3) because your teacher or someone you know said so. The sad thing is that many teachers (including my ones when I was at high school) were vastly uninformed and, if I'm being completely honest, not too competent in their respective fields.
Last edited by Quick-use; 2 years ago
Strelzo
Report 2 years ago
Yes, your teacher wasn't correct.

• Undergraduate degree students = undergraduate student OR undergrad
  • Students who have graduated with a degree from university = graduate
  • Students doing a post-graduate degree = graduate student OR postgrad

I also would not recommend high school students to skip first year of university. I'd only recommend it for mature students, people who can't afford studying 4 years or people who, for whatever reason, want to rush through their degree. For the regular student, first year is integral for making friends and learning from mistakes. It allows for huge growth and settling into university life, studies and becoming accustomed to sound academic practice. A lot of things that I was taught at high school were wrong and I had an incredible number of bad habits which took a long time to rectify.

Advanced Highers aren't useless and I don't think you can make that judgement, especially if 1) you haven't done them yet 2) you haven't been to university yet and can't compare what you learned at AH to what you're learning at university 3) because your teacher or someone you know said so. The sad thing is that many teachers (including my ones when I was at high school) were vastly uninformed and, if I'm being completely honest, not too competent in their respective fields.
They are pretty pointless if you want to go to University; they are only a backup for me if I don't get accepted at the end of this academic year; if my exams don't go as planned. Getting to University at 17 means I can: settle in; do something that is actually relevant to my future job and finally indulge further in my studies which serve more purpose (studying 4 hours a day + 10 hours at the weekend seems weird at Higher level for me). Advanced highers basically account to a template of the workload you would have received during your first year at University. I would much rather sit first year of University for all of the reasons mentioned above. I'm never going to sit Advanced Highers unless I have to; Highers are bad enough as they are; I would much rather complete self study rather than work in a class of people (it slows down work-rate due to the mass number of students.)
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can anyone suggest as to the workload of 4 AHs over the whole year? Is it going to be more than 5 highers? I coped well with highers, however, the subject I dropped for AH is the one I spent the most time on.
Strelzo
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 123543)
Can anyone suggest as to the workload of 4 AHs over the whole year? Is it going to be more than 5 highers? I coped well with highers, however, the subject I dropped for AH is the one I spent the most time on.
A lot more work than 5 highers.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 123543)
I didn't do 4 Advanced Highers but I did 3 AHs, 3 Highers and 1 Nat 5 in S6 and I actually found the workload for 5 Highers more... It was probably because I self-learned 3 of those subjects and just studied for the exams. That said, I wouldn't necessarily recommend 4 AHs - it's just unnecessary stress and added pressure. But, if you're keen to do it and you're confident about the grades, then you could try. It just doesn't sound very enjoyable though.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah - my intention was always to take 3, however, due to timetabling constraints, the school force you to fill x amount of periods - which for some reason 3 AH didn't.

I'll probably drop it at the end of June but just see how the workload is - worst case scenario is I have had an extra month of french.

Thanks for your advice
I didn't do 4 Advanced Highers but I did 3 AHs, 3 Highers and 1 Nat 5 in S6 and I actually found the workload for 5 Highers more... It was probably because I self-learned 3 of those subjects and just studied for the exams. That said, I wouldn't necessarily recommend 4 AHs - it's just unnecessary stress and added pressure. But, if you're keen to do it and you're confident about the grades, then you could try. It just doesn't sound very enjoyable though.
fucthesqa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm currently doing 3 AHs and 2 highers (1 crash)

I don't know if this is a smart idea because I don't actually need any advanced highers I just enjoy the subjects.

I wouldn't put stress on yourself to do AHs because the workload is quite intense, I will most likely drop to 3 AHs and 1 higher (dropping the crash) which is still not easy but would take some strain off myself so I can at least have some sort of social life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed