?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Can I do so?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes if your college agree but why would you want to?
businessbria
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not really, a level 3 BTEC diploma is usually done alone and it's useless to just have one A Level.
Thnvig
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
I mean that I have a business alevel already
(Original post by PQ)
Yes if your college agree but why would you want to?
Thnvig
Rep:
?
I mean that I have a business Alevel already
(Original post by Thnvig)
(Original post by businessbria)
Not really, a level 3 BTEC diploma is usually done alone and it's useless to just have one A Level.
businessbria
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I mean that I have a business Alevel already
If you already have one, you must have finished sixth form/college correct? What are your plans? A btec would be worth more than just the one a level but I dont know the chances of you being able to do so.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ok. But why do you want to do a btec as well? What do you hope to use the btec qualification for?
Thnvig
Rep:
?
If like to gain more ucas points which is why I want yo do a btec in one year
If you already have one, you must have finished sixth form/college correct? What are your plans? A btec would be worth more than just the one a level but I dont know the chances of you being able to do so.
bamtutor
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you have A level Business, you won't be able to do a BTEC in Business. It might get you extra UCAS points, but it will be in two overlapping subjects which will be no good for University.
You could ask the college if they will allow you to do a BTEC in another subject (Law and / or IT are good options to go alongside Business).
Thnvig
Rep:
?
Ah ok thanks for that. So I could do a btec 90 credit in IT for one year and apply for law in uni?
(Original post by bamtutor)
If you have A level Business, you won't be able to do a BTEC in Business. It might get you extra UCAS points, but it will be in two overlapping subjects which will be no good for University.
You could ask the college if they will allow you to do a BTEC in another subject (Law and / or IT are good options to go alongside Business).
bamtutor
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
90 Credits is equal to One and half A levels. If you have an A level already (depends on the grade), you might be able to get sufficient UCAS points, but you probably need to get a Distinction Star in the BTEC. Check some Uni websites and see what they require for entry. Then see if that is achievable with the options you have.

Although if you want to study Law at Uni, an Applied law BTEC is more applicable than IT.

Ah ok thanks for that. So I could do a btec 90 credit in IT for one year and apply for law in uni?
Thnvig
Rep:
?
ok thanks for that
(Original post by bamtutor)
90 Credits is equal to One and half A levels. If you have an A level already (depends on the grade), you might be able to get sufficient UCAS points, but you probably need to get a Distinction Star in the BTEC. Check some Uni websites and see what they require for entry. Then see if that is achievable with the options you have.

Although if you want to study Law at Uni, an Applied law BTEC is more applicable than IT.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If like to gain more ucas points which is why I want yo do a btec in one year
You don’t get extra tariff points from additional qualifications in the same subject. Only one qualification in each subject attracts tariff points.

If you want to go to a specific university/course and don’t currently have the required grades/qualifications then talk to that university to ask their advice on what you should do to have the best application - don’t just pick qualifications willy nilly
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Most btecs are worth exactly the same as one A level in tariff points. 90 credit and extended diploma courses are less common.
Thnvig
Rep:
?
Ah ok. I've checked and Hertfordshire accept me with a 90 credit diploma and business Alevel so that's fine then.
(Original post by PQ)
Most btecs are worth exactly the same as one A level in tariff points. 90 credit and extended diploma courses are less common.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ah ok. I've checked and Hertfordshire accept me with a 90 credit diploma and business Alevel so that's fine then.
Did you make it clear to them that you were taking the btec in the same subject as your A level?
Thnvig
Rep:
?
I think I'd do the btec in IT which is what I told them and they said that is fine.
(Original post by PQ)
Did you make it clear to them that you were taking the btec in the same subject as your A level?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (449)
18.99%
The paper was reasonable (1103)
46.64%
Not feeling great about that exam... (520)
21.99%
It was TERRIBLE (293)
12.39%

Watched Threads