The Student Room Group

how do i talk to girls on ig? / get more friends in general

i have very few friends and im trying to expand that by using instagram, i follow suggested people, about half follow back, i like one of their pics but i never get any like back.
if i dm someone i just get ignored and i dont know what im doing wrong?

if youre wondering if im trying to force it, i kind of am, ive been extremely lonely these past years and i think about having a gf 5-6 times a day. ive tried "just letting it happen" for years and absolutely nothing has happened, the "friends" i have right now are slowly drifting away from me because ive lost social confidence and im getting lonelier everyday, im 17 male btw at school.

ive tried clubs, i go to a tennis club and i sometimes have a friendly conversation, but no one knows me well and no one is interested in becoming friends with me. i look very young for 17 aswell

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
i have very few friends and im trying to expand that by using instagram, i follow suggested people, about half follow back, i like one of their pics but i never get any like back.

if youre wondering if im trying to force it, i kind of am, ive been extremely lonely these past years and i think about having a gf 5-6 times a day. ive tried "just letting it happen" for years and absolutely nothing has happened, the "friends" i have right now are slowly drifting away from me because ive lost social confidence and im getting lonelier everyday, im 17 male btw at school.

ive tried clubs, i go to a tennis club and i sometimes have a friendly conversation, but no one knows me well and no one is interested in becoming friends with me. i look very young for 17 aswell

oh god no, stop. ig inn't a dating app, dude. getting DMs from random dudes is annoying as hell (unless they are very hot). just use tinder.
Reply 2
oh, and that's not how ig works. like for like is what kids do really. or people trying to gain new followers in a sneaky way, lol. if you like my picture, i will assume that you like MY PICTURE, not that you want to get a like in return
Reply 3
Original post by Ciel.
oh god no, stop. ig inn't a dating app, dude. getting DMs from random dudes is annoying as hell (unless they are very hot). just use tinder.

i look about 14 tinder isnt going to work for me, i definately wouldnt suffice for an 18 year old let alone 17
Reply 4
i look about 14 tinder isnt going to work for me, i definately wouldnt suffice for an 18 year old let alone 17

well, ig isn't a dating site, you will just end up annoying tons of people.
Reply 5
Original post by Ciel.
well, ig isn't a dating site, you will just end up annoying tons of people.

ok what else is there to do to get a gf or just anyone to care about you boy or girl
Reply 6
ok what else is there to do to get a gf or just anyone to care about you boy or girl

meet them irl, duh.
Reply 7
Original post by Ciel.
meet them irl, duh.

by doing what, the people at my tennis club seem to have enough friends that they dont care about making more
Reply 8
by doing what, the people at my tennis club seem to have enough friends that they dont care about making more

doesn't matter. people will ditch their old friends for you, if you show them you are good enough. or they will let you join their friend group at the very least.
Reply 9
Original post by Ciel.
doesn't matter. people will ditch their old friends for you, if you show them you are good enough. or they will let you join their friend group at the very least.

yea i guess the problem right now is that im not good enough, ive had less and less social interactions that im nervous asf around them and after that first impression no one is really interested
Reply 10
if I get random follows from guys I don't know and they start dm'ing me and liking my pics, it is kinda a turn off. Obviously follow who you like, that's not weird, but suddenly dm'ing people you don't know might be a little strange unless you fully explain what you're messaging them for. I also assume that guys trying to dm me on instagram are just looking for hook ups. It's not that kinda place tbh, especially if you don't have mutual friends/have never seen them around anywhere. Don't force anything. You're only 17, relationships happen when they happen. Go out and try to meet people, use apps such as tinder/bumble/pof. If people think you look too young on there or aren't attracted to you, then they won't be in real life either. You'll meet the right person when the time is right.

Original post by ashwxo
if I get random follows from guys I don't know and they start dm'ing me and liking my pics, it is kinda a turn off. Obviously follow who you like, that's not weird, but suddenly dm'ing people you don't know might be a little strange unless you fully explain what you're messaging them for. I also assume that guys trying to dm me on instagram are just looking for hook ups. It's not that kinda place tbh, especially if you don't have mutual friends/have never seen them around anywhere. Don't force anything. You're only 17, relationships happen when they happen. Go out and try to meet people, use apps such as tinder/bumble/pof. If people think you look too young on there or aren't attracted to you, then they won't be in real life either. You'll meet the right person when the time is right.

thank you, i dont doubt i will oneday meet someone i love, but right now im essentially throwing away my youth by how depressed i keep getting because of loneliness and everything ive tried to try and make new friends just never works out.

ive tried different clubs but because im 17 im borderline between kids and adult group, kids group can be full of younger people that i dont get on with sometimes aged 12-15 and the adult group is full of people 25+ and i look like their kid
What year are you in? It depends. If you’re going to uni soon I’d just say wait till then and meet friend there. Or on insta just pop up to Mutuals. Like when most people do those question things just be like you seem cool or stuff like that
why not try volunteering somewhere or get a job? sounds dead but i think you'll be surprised...
Original post by wxgmak
What year are you in? It depends. If you’re going to uni soon I’d just say wait till then and meet friend there. Or on insta just pop up to Mutuals. Like when most people do those question things just be like you seem cool or stuff like that

not going to uni but im doing an apprenticeship, im in year 12. i really dont want to wait any longer, ive been depressed since maybe year 10 and i kept telling myslef that it will get better in year 11 or year 12 and it never did, cant wait anymore
Original post by cytoplasm
why not try volunteering somewhere or get a job? sounds dead but i think you'll be surprised...

i apply to 3-5 jobs per week on indeed, ive only ever heard back from 1 which was 6 months ago and i got rejected at the interview.
i apply to volunteer aswell, dont get responses from them and the ones i dont apply to mostly want people who can drive and are flexible ie dont have school
slide into their dm and tell em ur d*ck size xx
not going to uni but im doing an apprenticeship, im in year 12. i really dont want to wait any longer, ive been depressed since maybe year 10 and i kept telling myslef that it will get better in year 11 or year 12 and it never did, cant wait anymore

Aww I get how you feel. Most people I know feel the same way. On insta you can find IBF’s (internet best friends) just type ibf and you can do this little profile thing.
Original post by wxgmak
Aww I get how you feel. Most people I know feel the same way. On insta you can find IBF’s (internet best friends) just type ibf and you can do this little profile thing.

thanks for ur help, internet friends dont seem to work for me anymore, especially if its long distance we always just stop talking after a few days usually
im in the same boat as you, actually feel very needy. I'd say I'm not ugly, nor am I like a 10/10 guy. I'd say am around average. But i hardly go out to places and dont have the balls to walk up and chat up people lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending