The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Same :frown:
Same, I’m completely lost
Reply 3
frankly I think the bottom one is too open ended and frankly any ideas will do
Yeah, any ideas anyone?
So my teacher refuses to give examples however told us about the contextual challenges.

The first one is based on the idea of how schools used to make furniture, as teachers didn't like how you couldn't do that. But an idea which I won't use is a custom knife block with a lockable feature, keeping children safe.

The second one is more for those not wanting to do the first one but are not good at textiles.

The third is textiles based apparently, for those who want to make dresses.
Hi, I finished my NEA this year.

What ever product you choose to develop make sure it is small but complex as this is the easiest to develop and get feedback on from your primary user/stakeholders. Using small features is much more effective than making a product that is really big and this should allow you to get into the higher marks.

Also, make sure you are ALWAYS on top of your work and don't leave anything to the next day because the work will slowly build up and start to impact your other subjects when you have deadlines to meet.

Just wanted to give you some advice, sorry i couldn't give you any ideas.
you can expand on some of your points, like how would you do the sustainable future such as possible material ideas, cutting down waste materials (talk about lean manufacturing to seem smart) how would your product do these? how would your design effect this?
whats the limitations of the product in such activities?
Whats the primary use and then secondary use of the product?
What ideas could you try to get around problems or make new ideas?
these are just some ideas and hopefully they can help, im guessing your in year 10 (im year 11 so ive finished all my NEA)
Reply 8
Original post by THE-BLACK-CAT
Hey ^^
I just finished my NEA and i got a grade 9! so I can definitely help you . Here are some ideas I have for you :
[removed]

That’s all I have at the moment ^^ .ill add more of any more ideas come to me it . If you have any questions or need any more help please ask me ,okay ? Don’t be shy :smile:.

thank you so much, its a fantastic starting point and these all sound like great ideas. congrats on your grade 9 and I wish you all the best for the future, thanks
Heheh thank you ^^ if you like when you reach a certain section in your NEA I can show you mine on how to do it so you have a real example
Original post by SamW9
thank you so much, its a fantastic starting point and these all sound like great ideas. congrats on your grade 9 and I wish you all the best for the future, thanks
Thank you! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Marcus7948
So my teacher refuses to give examples however told us about the contextual challenges.

The first one is based on the idea of how schools used to make furniture, as teachers didn't like how you couldn't do that. But an idea which I won't use is a custom knife block with a lockable feature, keeping children safe.

The second one is more for those not wanting to do the first one but are not good at textiles.

The third is textiles based apparently, for those who want to make dresses.

I really like this idea of the knife block one thanks so much
Might be tricky to make tho . Just remember to keep it simple ^^ it doesn’t have to be a super fancy product .You can still get a high grade with a basic product. In the end you get marks for your thinking and reaserch . As long as you fulfill the marking criteria that’s it ! :smile: Bingo you got grade 9
Original post by SamW9
I really like this idea of the knife block one thanks so much
Reply 13
Might be tricky to make tho . Just remember to keep it simple ^^ it doesn’t have to be a super fancy product .You can still get a high grade with a basic product. In the end you get marks for your thinking and reaserch . As long as you fulfill the marking criteria that’s it ! :smile: Bingo you got grade 9

I reckon it would be rather simple (at least the knife block part of it) you get a cut of wood and slice it in two, chisel out the areas for the knives and then glue it back together with the slots made. then all you gotta do is the lock
Hey ^^
I just finished my NEA and i got a grade 9! so I can definitely help you . Here are some ideas I have for you :

[removed]

That’s all I have at the moment ^^ .ill add more of any more ideas come to me it . If you have any questions or need any more help please ask me ,okay ? Don’t be shy :smile:.

what mark did you get?
Well my teacher put my mark as 100 and I was like wha- :eek: . :colondollar:. But it will probably go down when moderated . Still , I’m really happy ! :smile:
Original post by OllyDaws
what mark did you get?
:argh: The lock is the hard part XD . I reckon try something simpler unless your 100% sure you will be able to find and make a mechanism that will work . I know the deadline for the NEA sounds far way but trust me time will fly away quickly and you might not have time to fully experiment a locking system . If you REALLY like knife block idea that do it :smile: but make sure you figure out a way for the lock quickly otherwise do another idea ^^
Original post by SamW9
I reckon it would be rather simple (at least the knife block part of it) you get a cut of wood and slice it in two, chisel out the areas for the knives and then glue it back together with the slots made. then all you gotta do is the lock
Do you have any idea how to do it?
:redface: Your gonna need to research a lot which I’m sorry I don’t have time for that . I’m in the middle of my GCSES but I’ll see what I can do
Original post by benjamessmith
Do you have any idea how to do it?
Well my teacher put my mark as 100 and I was like wha- :eek: . :colondollar:. But it will probably go down when moderated . Still , I’m really happy ! :smile:

damnnn, only got 88 which is good enough so im quite happy

Latest