Teawaster
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Does anyone know roughly what percentage is needed to get each grade in this exam. When I look up the grade boundaries it says you need 45, 33 and 21 to get a distinction, merit and pass . This tends to vary depending on how difficult the exam is and the scores are standardised but does anyone know what raw marks roughly equate to these scores . The total mark is 90 so does that mean that you only need 33 out of 90 to get a merit . I’m asking for my son who is doing this exam shortly
username4777468
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For example my grades are
unit 2: M
unit 3: M
unit 5: D
my teacher calculated that with these grades to get a distinction overall i will need to get a mid merit which is not alot. The grade boundaries are very low, prob could make it without any revision
(Original post by Teawaster)
Does anyone know roughly what percentage is needed to get each grade in this exam. When I look up the grade boundaries it says you need 45, 33 and 21 to get a distinction, merit and pass . This tends to vary depending on how difficult the exam is and the scores are standardised but does anyone know what raw marks roughly equate to these scores . The total mark is 90 so does that mean that you only need 33 out of 90 to get a merit . I’m asking for my son who is doing this exam shortly
Rockso
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
These are the grade boundaries for the January 2019 exam, they may not be the same for the June 2019 exam but it will give you an idea.

(Original post by Teawaster)
Attached files
Student540
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How hard is it to actually get marks in this though, why are the grade boundaries so low if it is supposed to be easy?
Rockso
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It is easy if you know how to answer the questions while hitting all the points they want you to. I agree that the exam is a lot of "common sense" but it's the way you answer the questions that get you marks. You have to use the technical vocabulary that they want you to use to pick up the marks. I advice looking at past exams and their mark schemes to see what they want in your answers.
(Original post by Student540)
How hard is it to actually get marks in this though, why are the grade boundaries so low if it is supposed to be easy?
Rockso
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I also think that while a pass is easy a distinction is not, they seem to have made the exam easy to pass but hard to get the top grade in.
(Original post by Rockso)
It is easy if you know how to answer the questions while hitting all the points they want you to. I agree that the exam is a lot of "common sense" but it's the way you answer the questions that get you marks. You have to use the technical vocabulary that they want you to use to pick up the marks. I advice looking at past exams and their mark schemes to see what they want in your answers.
Student540
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
see i only need minimum 15 points which is like a high pass but i want to get a low merit just to make sure I get the distinction overall. See I know a fair bit of the content but using that technical language could prove to be a challenge as I know things about computers etc but not in the context of things like connectivity eg; types of cables, how servers work within a business etc.
I also think that while a pass is easy a distinction is not, they seem to have made the exam easy to pass but hard to get the top grade in.
Student540
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have not opened a book for the exam but have general knowledge of ICT systems. Where should I start to be prepared enough for the exam?

Rockso
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have not opened a book for the exam but have general knowledge of ICT systems. Where should I start to be prepared enough for the exam?
The questions aren't that technical, from what I have seen in the practice exams I have done is that they are looking for a certain range of responses that cover several technical terms. There are some questions that require you to sketch a diagram that shows how somethings would work that will most likely require you to specify connection type, data flow and devices used etc.

You should look at the previous exams that are available to anyone to practice for the exam, do each of the exams and they use the marking schemes to mark your own work. You should also look at the marking schemes and try and remember the points they give you marks for.

Below is a link to the Pearson website, on it you can download the past exam papers and their marking schemes. You have to scroll down the page and click "show more" a few times to see the marking schemes and past papers.
https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...al-assessments
Student540
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thats great thank you! Could I ask how you should manage time for this exam since it is 2 hours long.

The questions aren't that technical, from what I have seen in the practice exams I have done is that they are looking for a certain range of responses that cover several technical terms. There are some questions that require you to sketch a diagram that shows how somethings would work that will most likely require you to specify connection type, data flow and devices used etc.

You should look at the previous exams that are available to anyone to practice for the exam, do each of the exams and they use the marking schemes to mark your own work. You should also look at the marking schemes and try and remember the points they give you marks for.

Below is a link to the Pearson website, on it you can download the past exam papers and their marking schemes. You have to scroll down the page and click "show more" a few times to see the marking schemes and past papers.
https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...al-assessments
Rockso
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I tended to do the usual things in regard to time management when I did mock exams for this. I based the amount of time I spent on each question on the number of marks that the question gave me. If a question gave me two marks, I would make it short and sweet, it gave me twelve marks, I would spend a good 15 minutes on it.

If you get stuck, move on to the next question and come back to it later. Never leave a question blank, that's just throwing away marks.

In my experience, if you are getting full marks on each question or at least trying, it should keep you busy right up to the last minute. They tend to have at least one 12 mark question along with two or three 10/8 mark questions in each paper. These questions can take up a lot of time so don't get too stuck on them.
Thats great thank you! Could I ask how you should manage time for this exam since it is 2 hours long.
ehyy4324
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
any revision notes you can send
ehyy4324
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
anyone got tips
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.57%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.69%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (89)
37.55%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.66%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.53%

Watched Threads