Is TrainSpotting a good book for advanced higher? Watch

Stoobs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm taking Advanced higher English and have been told we need to read 2 classics books.

1) does Trainspotting count as a classics book?

2) Is it a good choice? I.e. easy marks, decent amount of resources etc

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Stoobs)
I'm taking Advanced higher English and have been told we need to read 2 classics books.

1) does Trainspotting count as a classics book?

2) Is it a good choice? I.e. easy marks, decent amount of resources etc

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Not sure what 'classic' means in this context. If by classic you mean, appropriate then I'm honestly not sure as I've not read the book myself. What do you think? Is it a particularly thought-provoking book that can be analysed with problematic issues/themes etc?
Stoobs
Rep:
?
I'm reading it now, I really enjoy the book and has lots of memorable quotes but it also has lots of drugs, sex, swearing and more so maybe not school appropriate. From what I've gathered it asks the reader about their thoughts on addiction and how drugs is just another past time like TV or Drinking as both are done to pass the time and both can have negative effects.
(Original post by Quick-use)
Not sure what 'classic' means in this context. If by classic you mean, appropriate then I'm honestly not sure as I've not read the book myself. What do you think? Is it a particularly thought-provoking book that can be analysed with problematic issues/themes etc?
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm reading it now, I really enjoy the book and has lots of memorable quotes but it also has lots of drugs, sex, swearing and more so maybe not school appropriate. From what I've gathered it asks the reader about their thoughts on addiction and how drugs is just another past time like TV or Drinking as both are done to pass the time and both can have negative effects.
Drugs, sex and swearing etc is perfectly fine. It won't take away from the quality of a book.

So far, what you've mentioned about the thematic issues of the books shows sophisticated awareness. That said, the problem is that - for English, you have to primarily focus on the literary devices of the text and how they are used to convey the deeper meanings. Are you able to detect appropriate literary devices within the novel? For example: language, motif, tone, mood, structure, symbolism, character perspectives, foreshadowing etc?
Stoobs
Rep:
?
So as long as I can dissect the book it should be fine?
Drugs, sex and swearing etc is perfectly fine. It won't take away from the quality of a book.

So far, what you've mentioned about the thematic issues of the books shows sophisticated awareness. That said, the problem is that - for English, you have to primarily focus on the literary devices of the text and how they are used to convey the deeper meanings. Are you able to detect appropriate literary devices within the novel? For example: language, motif, tone, mood, structure, symbolism, character perspectives, foreshadowing etc?
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
So as long as I can dissect the book it should be fine?
As long as you can do the following 2 things you're good:
1) your text has enough content to be considered meaty or profound
2) you can adopt an angle that allows for sophisticated analysis

For example, if someone were to choose to do their essay on Harry Potter and were to analyse the main character's growth etc, that would probably be a bad essay because it's a fairly easy text and the examiner may wonder: if you're going to choose to look at character growth, why would you choose Harry Potter when you could look at Frankenstein?

On the other hand, however, if you were to look at Harry Potter and look at its treatment of fantastical tropes and compare it with something like The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, then that would be an excellent essay.

As an aside, people usually do 2 texts unless your 1 text is incredibly difficult like The Odyssey or something.
Stoobs
Rep:
?
Thank you.

I spoke to my English teacher today and they said its fine and recommended I do it with a clockwork orange.

So again, thank you!

As long as you can do the following 2 things you're good:
1) your text has enough content to be considered meaty or profound
2) you can adopt an angle that allows for sophisticated analysis

For example, if someone were to choose to do their essay on Harry Potter and were to analyse the main character's growth etc, that would probably be a bad essay because it's a fairly easy text and the examiner may wonder: if you're going to choose to look at character growth, why would you choose Harry Potter when you could look at Frankenstein?

On the other hand, however, if you were to look at Harry Potter and look at its treatment of fantastical tropes and compare it with something like The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, then that would be an excellent essay.

As an aside, people usually do 2 texts unless your 1 text is incredibly difficult like The Odyssey or something.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.75%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (99)
34.74%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
20.7%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.82%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.98%

Watched Threads