The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Italian or Japanese with German?

Hi, so I was wondering whether to go with Japanese or Italian, I’m thinking of sticking with Japanese but if it’s too hard will it be too difficult to switch? What are your experiences with switching? And if you have any what are your experiences with Japanese or Italian? I’m doing german as my other language
Original post by CalT19
Hi, so I was wondering whether to go with Japanese or Italian, I’m thinking of sticking with Japanese but if it’s too hard will it be too difficult to switch? What are your experiences with switching? And if you have any what are your experiences with Japanese or Italian? I’m doing german as my other language

Would advice you to think about your second option carefully now, because Japanese and Italian have different roots and origins of their language what makes it very difficult to switch from one to another. Apart from that the Japanese has a complex writing system, one of my friends told me it lasts six years to master it and to know all the familiar and frequent used Japanese characters (even the Japanese don't know them all). So if you want an easy way, I would advice you to choice Italian, all the more if you have some experiences in Roman language.

Ich wünsche dir viel Erfolg! :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Vielen Dank!
I did originally have it as Italian but changed it, and here I am thinking of changing it again, if I did change it would I have problems with student finance? Since I had to put german and Japanese down for it?
Original post by Kallisto
Would advice you to think about your second option carefully now, because Japanese and Italian have different roots and origins of their language what makes it very difficult to switch from one to another. Apart from that the Japanese has a complex writing system, one of my friends told me it lasts six years to master it and to know all the familiar and frequent used Japanese characters (even the Japanese don't know them all). So if you want an easy way, I would advice you to choice Italian, all the more if you have some experiences in Roman language.

Ich wünsche dir viel Erfolg! :smile:
Original post by CalT19
Vielen Dank!
I did originally have it as Italian but changed it, and here I am thinking of changing it again, if I did change it would I have problems with student finance? Since I had to put german and Japanese down for it?

That is a question I can't answer to you, sorry! I have never had these issues as student and thus no experiences with it. All what I can do for you is giving advices. If I am not mistaken, you have taken Italian, after that Japanese and Italian again. Looks like it is really difficult for you to make your second decision.
Reply 4
Yep, very difficult, I’ve already done an Italian course and did Latin for a few years so I guess I have a bigger connection with that, but I don’t know which is more useful or if they’re both the same, like your friend said it can take more than 6 years to master so I don’t know if it’s worth doing it if it’s incomplete
Original post by Kallisto
That is a question I can't answer to you, sorry! I have never had these issues as student and thus no experiences with it. All what I can do for you is giving advices. If I am not mistaken, you have taken Italian, after that Japanese and Italian again. Looks like it is really difficult for you to make your second decision.
Reply 5
I just finished my first year of doing Japanese. It's not hard to keep up if you study a few hours per day. If you've got any questions just ask

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending