The Student Room Group

People treating me differently because I lost weight?

So I used to be a bit overweight before. I was like that for about 3 years. I was in a relationship at the time but broke up last year. I was heartbroken so I decided to get into fitness to distract myself and begin to heal. I lost over 30 pounds and I felt very good seeing how I looked though I'm still working on my ideal body. I noticed that people and even some people around me (acquaintances) began to treat me differently. Before they would be very gentle with me and in a way pity me, but now they make snarky comments and I feel an intimidating vibe from these people. They no longer are empathetic with me, and ask me if I'm sleeping around now and how's the hoe life (don't have a hoe life). It is making me feel uncomfortable and quite upset that I'm being viewed as being a hoe now when I'm not and that I'm feeling myself too much just because I'm wearing nicer clothing and it makes me feel like I should feel ashamed about it.
Ignore them. My moms always said to me 'society will never let you live' no matter what you do. And that's true.

If you feel comfortable in your own skin, that is all that matters! Remove all those negative vibes and all that negative energy! You're better than them:smile:

The moment you get rid of the toxic people in your life and just ignore them, you will realise that what others say really shouldn't make a difference!

Hope things get better:smile:
You've nothing to be ashamed of. Their reaction has nothing to do with you in truth.

They were nice to you before because comparing themselves to you made them feel better about themselves.
Your transition means they're now feeling insecure and their immediate (yet immature) reaction is to take that out on you.
Don’t be ashamed of it. They’re just jealous of your hard work and commitment. If you like yourself rn and feel happy with yourself, then their opinion shouldn’t matter. It’s hard not to feel after all that but it’s okay to take time and get the mindset that focuses on you rather than other. If it’s making u uncomfortable and upset, talk to them about it if u want. Honestly good luck
Original post by Anonymous
So I used to be a bit overweight before. I was like that for about 3 years. I was in a relationship at the time but broke up last year. I was heartbroken so I decided to get into fitness to distract myself and begin to heal. I lost over 30 pounds and I felt very good seeing how I looked though I'm still working on my ideal body. I noticed that people and even some people around me (acquaintances) began to treat me differently. Before they would be very gentle with me and in a way pity me, but now they make snarky comments and I feel an intimidating vibe from these people. They no longer are empathetic with me, and ask me if I'm sleeping around now and how's the hoe life (don't have a hoe life). It is making me feel uncomfortable and quite upset that I'm being viewed as being a hoe now when I'm not and that I'm feeling myself too much just because I'm wearing nicer clothing and it makes me feel like I should feel ashamed about it.

Oh my days I can relate. Ignore the haters! I did a makeover from a geeky girl to a more glamorous and all of a sudden people are assuming that I’m being promiscuous like wtf. They like which guy are you seeing tonight. Why are people so quick so assume. Is it jealousy?
I once had someone make a snarky remark at me for having an 'identity crisis' when they noticed that I was losing my chubbiness and gaining the muscles. :colonhash:
Original post by Anonymous

Jealously & Envy is quite common among girls.

Just tough it out like you did your old relationship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending