Which websites best to use to build a website???

Watch
studentt24601
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm building a website for a small school. Have looked at Wix, Godaddy, Square Space - the website needs to have no ads and minimum costs. Any recommendations? Have you used any of these before?
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by studentt24601)
I'm building a website for a small school. Have looked at Wix, Godaddy, Square Space - the website needs to have no ads and minimum costs. Any recommendations? Have you used any of these before?
You can rent servers for like £2/mo and build the site in Visual Studio Community Edition. There's not much programming really involved in building a basic site like that for a school, so you might as well learn to do it for yourself.
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's going to depend a great deal on what your requirements are. Do you have a 'vision' for the site and a specification of the content and features it needs to contain? If not, you need to start there before deciding which builder tool to use because that'll be the main deciding factor in what your best option is.

Wix tends to be the most popular one because it's got a pretty rich set of features and capabilities, so it's worth checking out that one first to see whether it meets your needs. For most basic sites it's probably not going to matter, so just pick one and run with it. There's generally going to be little or no difference in terms of pricing (you're going to be looking at between £5-£10 per month), so the kinds of things to look out for are going to be:

- Do the customisation tools and options suit you?
- Are there any good template options that fit your vision for the site?
- How easy it is to use?
- What restrictions are there and do they matter to you?
- Do you need any of the 'apps'/'addins'?
- What's the documentation and support like when you need to find out how to do something or get help?
- How much content do you have, and how easy is it for you to add new pages, create/modify navigation, etc?

Also consider the fact that you're building a site for someone else, so it's also important to think about the technical support side of things -- once you hand over the site, whoever you have chosen to build/host the site with will be their contact in terms of support when something goes wrong.
There may be a time in future when someone else other than you needs to go into the site and made modifications, so think about those people too and not just the time and effort you'll be putting in to create it initially. Chances are that you probably won't want to be responsible for maintaining this website in 1-2 years time, so if whoever you're giving it to is able to maintain it themselves or find someone else to maintain it, then you want them to be in a position where they can support it properly too.
Last edited by winterscoming; 2 years ago
sujatha90
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
HostGattor is the best choice to host your website in my experience. I maintain my websites with them.
alan55
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If it fits your budget it's better to apply to professionals. I found one reliable custom software company here https://www.effectivesoft.com/webdev..._services.html with affordable prices. And I'm completely satisfied with their work, I got my website done quickly and they took into account all my wishes and requests.
Last edited by alan55; 2 years ago
DannyWnok12
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey you can find someone to build a website for you on fiver. Wix and all this website where you can build a website yourself are not the best options.
david1207
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you're looking to build a self hosted website then you have to buy a domain, web hosting and then you can build it through WordPress. It's the best you can do.
HBaguette
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Neocities. Completely free, no ads, and you have full control over what's on the site.
I even use it for my site: https://hbaguette.neocities.org
michaelhw
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I used to build the sites with html, mysql and php. I spent a fortune on Indian mysql administrators, and database hosting. These days, i just modify some wordpress template or jomla or whatever, and the end result is much better.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.43%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.57%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.57%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.71%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (47)
26.86%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.86%

Watched Threads