?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Opinions please
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JoeCUK)
Opinions please
We arent allowed to start trade agreements until we have left.
Why would you want no transition deal? It will damage us.
JoeCUK
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
I am asking for opinions! This is a post on an opinion gathering/exchanging site!!
I feel that the damage of leaving is more publicised so good to hear peoples views on Brexit would most certainly cause short term disruption but so has being a member3for decades leaving a union even one regarded as corrupt and a little Robin hood has consequences but global trade has been restricted through membership so I feel personally we stand more to gain from trading with richer countries like Canada Australia and USA and bric than restricted trading with europe
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
We arent allowed to start trade agreements until we have left.
Find me the rule that says that

This was a part of May's abject failure in negotiation.

On 31 December 1971 we gave 1 year's notice to leave EFTA. Before that expired, indeed before that notice was even given, we were already negotiating a new trade agreement with France, Germany, Italy, the Benelux countries, Ireland, Denmark and Norway (which failed to ratify) which we signed on 22 Jnauary 1972.
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Find me the rule that says that

This was a part of May's abject failure in negotiation.

On 31 December 1971 we gave 1 year's notice to leave EFTA. Before that expired, indeed before that notice was even given, we were already negotiating a new trade agreement with France, Germany, Italy, the Benelux countries, Ireland, Denmark and Norway (which failed to ratify) which we signed on 22 Jnauary 1972.
Presumably because we would still be members of the EU.
I will assume we can start negotiations, but until we know what the future is in relation to the EU, then those will be very difficult.
I came across a few links which appear to go into this matter in detail and will read them later. Very bad headache at the moment, so it can wait.
https://lawyersforbritain.org/brexit...es-before-exit
https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...-what-involved
ColinDent
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I will assume we can start negotiations, but until we know what the future is in relation to the EU, then those will be very difficult.
I came across a few links which appear to go into this matter in detail and will read them later. Very bad headache at the moment, so it can wait.
The only thing we can't actually do is sign off any deals, but there is nothing to stop us getting everything in place beforehand.
Hope you're head gets better soon.
Oops forgot to answer the original question, we should have started as soon as A50 was enacted but with the situation as it stands then yes we should leave on October 31st regardless.
Last edited by ColinDent; 2 years ago
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Unfortunately, the Lawyers for Britain advice won't open and so there is only their conclusion ("no problem") and the Institute for Government is making bare assertions ("can't be done")

The relevant provisions are Articles 3, 206, 207 and 218 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It is abundantly clear from those that Theresa May can't go off and negotiate a deal relating to the EU Customs Union or the Common Commercial Policy on her own and one could see why someone might have thought De Gaulle would do exactly that. It is equally clear that she can't go off and negotiate a British trade deal that is inconsistant with either the EU Customs Union or the Common Commerical Policy. However, if you look for something that says May cannot negotiate a British deal that doesn't conflict with the EU Customs Union or Common Commercial Policy because it only commences when we have left these, that is not so obvious. Hence my initial comment.
JoeCUK
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
(Original post by ColinDent)
The only thing we can't actually do is sign off any deals, but there is nothing to stop us getting everything in place beforehand.
Hope you're head gets better soon.
Oops forgot to answer the original question, we should have started as soon as A50 was enacted but with the situation as it stands then yes we should leave on October 31st regardless.
Agreed whilst agreements can't be signed they can be set up and the put in motion meaning the disruption of a hard and fast no deal Brexit would be minimised there are always winners and losers and there have been many restrictions that have already cost certain parts of UK industry billions in restricted trade so there is that flip side of the coin one cost can counteract the other
Burridge
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JoeCUK)
Opinions please
No-deal will be disastrous. I'd much rather remain a member than leave without a deal. The economic impact of leaving without a deal is well documented and will cause serious disruption. It'll also leave us in a weak bargaining position - whilst we're going through the turmoil of trying to deal with a no-deal Brexit, the EU will be demanding the full settlement figure & the Irish Backstop before they begin any negotiation.

Whether you believe people will be better off with Brexit (I don't, as do almost all economists) in the medium-long term, there's no doubt that a no-deal situation come October 31st will have profound adverse consequences for the service & manufacturing sectors that rely on seamless EU trade and instant access to European markets.
scorpion95
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
We should have started it at the beginning to be honest. The remoaners constantly go on about how if we go on WTO rules it would be bad because we would have no trade agreements in place but what they seem to happily forget is that the EU dictatorship has said we can't do trade deals till we leave. So whose fault is it, that it could be bad as they call it because we can't sort it out before we leave, the EU dictatorship who want us to be forced to have a deal with them and only them which in effect is us staying in the EU with no say or power. If the deal gets through some how we will still be tied to the EU and won't be able to do any trade agreements on our own as it will have to go through the EU.

To be honest we should have just started doing trade talks with other countries at the start so that when we "leave" aka "no deal" (which is what the referendum was about and was clearly the 'leave' option on the ballot paper) we wouldn't have to worry about anything and the country would be even more better off than it will be as it currently stands at us being on WTO rules. We should just have ignored the EU dictatorship and planned for the no deal situation and got on with it as the EU wouldn't have been able to do anything about it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (32)
15.69%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (63)
30.88%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
12.25%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (17)
8.33%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (11)
5.39%
I think it's an unfair expectation (53)
25.98%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.47%

Watched Threads