How do I study from mindmaps? Watch

j8v4
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I’ve heard they work really well and stuff but what do you do? Just read them?

wilhelminabeann
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I usually get my family and friends to test me. however, I've recently started two mindmap study techniques.

(a) brain dumping a massive mindmap without using any notes, leaving gaps if necessary and filling them in with red pen. then colour coding it too.
(b) using my notes to make a mindmap, then making another (on A5 perhaps) and condensing the information, and then eventually fitting it all onto a flashcard.

hope this helps!
Molly reid 03
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi!
Make the mind maps by taking your class notes and summarising them a lot. Use lots of colour if you like to use colour and pictures/diagrams are really helpful in my opinion as they are much easier to remember in an exam than lots of words on a page. Once you have made the mind map read over it and then cover it up and remake it, seeing how much you can remember. You can do this timed or untimed. After, look at your original mind map and fill in anything that you missed out on your second mind map using a different colour.
Another technique that I find really useful is making a large mind map and then doing another smaller mind map on the same content, but more summarised. Keep summarising and remaking the mind maps until you can cover up the content and rewrite it out from memory.
Make your mind maps by writing out subheadings and bullet pointing a few key points. This helps you to learn just the most important things, leading to your exam answers being more concise in the exam. You will also be processing the information more if you have to actually consider which parts are the most important.

(Original post by j8v4)
I’ve heard they work really well and stuff but what do you do? Just read them?
Molly reid 03
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
That was very long, sorry 🤣
(Original post by Molly reid 03)
Hi!
Make the mind maps by taking your class notes and summarising them a lot. Use lots of colour if you like to use colour and pictures/diagrams are really helpful in my opinion as they are much easier to remember in an exam than lots of words on a page. Once you have made the mind map read over it and then cover it up and remake it, seeing how much you can remember. You can do this timed or untimed. After, look at your original mind map and fill in anything that you missed out on your second mind map using a different colour.
Another technique that I find really useful is making a large mind map and then doing another smaller mind map on the same content, but more summarised. Keep summarising and remaking the mind maps until you can cover up the content and rewrite it out from memory.
Make your mind maps by writing out subheadings and bullet pointing a few key points. This helps you to learn just the most important things, leading to your exam answers being more concise in the exam. You will also be processing the information more if you have to actually consider which parts are the most important.
nintysixthousand
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
i used them to summarise topics eg different theories, poems for english or for planning essays eg 16 markers for psychology i would have a branch for each point i had to make to get the marks. I then try to memorise them and re write them, then give them to a friend or family member and see if i can go around the whole mindmap from memory/
eppypw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Mind map is an active way to revise so it's more effective than passive revision (such as re-reading your notes). Normally, i use mind maps after i finish revising a topic and fully understanding them. I just write the topic or sub-topic in the middle of a page and without looking back at my notes, i try to fill out the whole page with information (detailed annotations). Once i feet like i've wrote everything down, i re-check my notes to see if i've left anything out. If i have, i would write the information that i've missed or forgotten in coloured pen and re-visit them after memorising.
Isabelpayne200
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Good help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (48)
24.49%
No, but I have thought about it (55)
28.06%
No (93)
47.45%

Watched Threads