OCR English Literature A Level: Hamlet

Watch
Anjn
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I may be wrong, and this exam was a while ago so I've forgot everything (will add to once I remember). However, here's some brief points I focused on.

1a) Gravedigger passage ( I didn't like how they referred to the diggers as "clowns").
- Antithesis of death. Focus on the theme of death/ after life & religion ( they speak about Ophelia's suicide)
- Death as an equalizer despite of class distinctions now, this will all come to an end, as well as physical attributes "chap fall'n"
- Black humour contrasts death and the setting of the graveyard.
- Audience witness a change in Hamlet.
- Symbolism of Yorick's skull.

1b) Comedy
- As already said, the black humour of the grave diggers reveal serious truths about death and religion.
- Hamlet's puns/riddles/jokes e.g. "sun" or a "little more than kin, less than kind" reveal his disgust at Claudius and his mother. Also shows the theme of appearances versus reality, due to the irony of saying one thing but meaning another.
- Use of songs. Ophelia's bawdy songs reveal her feelings for Hamlet which she has had to oppress, and her mourning for her father. & Gravediggers songs about death.
- Satire. Hamlet dislikes people pleasers and opportunist such as Polonius "fool" and Osric who speaks "bubbles". Hamlet is mocking the Royal court. SP also uses dramatic irony. The fact that Polonius thinks that he knows the cause of Hamlet's insanity, and yet the audience are aware that it is an "antic disposition" allows us to laugh at his naivety.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
So, uhh, what was your grade?
galaxy1008
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anjn)
I may be wrong, and this exam was a while ago so I've forgot everything (will add to once I remember). However, here's some brief points I focused on.

1a) Gravedigger passage ( I didn't like how they referred to the diggers as "clowns").
- Antithesis of death. Focus on the theme of death/ after life & religion ( they speak about Ophelia's suicide)
- Death as an equalizer despite of class distinctions now, this will all come to an end, as well as physical attributes "chap fall'n"
- Black humour contrasts death and the setting of the graveyard.
- Audience witness a change in Hamlet.
- Symbolism of Yorick's skull.

1b) Comedy
- As already said, the black humour of the grave diggers reveal serious truths about death and religion.
- Hamlet's puns/riddles/jokes e.g. "sun" or a "little more than kin, less than kind" reveal his disgust at Claudius and his mother. Also shows the theme of appearances versus reality, due to the irony of saying one thing but meaning another.
- Use of songs. Ophelia's bawdy songs reveal her feelings for Hamlet which she has had to oppress, and her mourning for her father. & Gravediggers songs about death.
- Satire. Hamlet dislikes people pleasers and opportunist such as Polonius "fool" and Osric who speaks "bubbles". Hamlet is mocking the Royal court. SP also uses dramatic irony. The fact that Polonius thinks that he knows the cause of Hamlet's insanity, and yet the audience are aware that it is an "antic disposition" allows us to laugh at his naivety.
Hey! Thanks for posting. I am doing this course this year, any tips on how to revise? What grade did you get overall?
Nathellie
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
the extract and question were both about comedy werent they?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (18)
8.29%
Okay (64)
29.49%
A bit lacking (81)
37.33%
Not good at all (54)
24.88%

Watched Threads