The Student Room Group

Advice For Secret Christian

I'm from a Muslim family and my parents are rather religious. My dad is extremely against Christianity and believes that the religion is wrong. I used to be an atheist for years and told my parents at the start of this year - and they didn't take it well. I ended up doing lots of research into spirituality and realised I am a Christian. However, I have to hide it from them. I was thinking of getting a Bible, and perhaps even baptised - but I don't know if I can get baptised without parental consent. But I mainly just want to grow in my faith - and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for new Christians?
Reply 1
Perhaps it would be good to consider that Christians are distributed in 3 main groups: Catholics, Protestants (themselves distributed in a lot of sub-groups), Orthodox.
As for Catholics, there is no need of parental consent to get baptised; in special cases Baptism can be given even against the will of parents.
I was Catholic in the past, then I preferred to follow different ways that could be called agnosticism o atheism, it would be too long to explain. I prefer to call it “spirituality”as the best term for me.
I would be curious to know how you realized that you are a Christian.
Original post by strangledleaf
I'm from a Muslim family and my parents are rather religious. My dad is extremely against Christianity and believes that the religion is wrong. I used to be an atheist for years and told my parents at the start of this year - and they didn't take it well. I ended up doing lots of research into spirituality and realised I am a Christian. However, I have to hide it from them. I was thinking of getting a Bible, and perhaps even baptised - but I don't know if I can get baptised without parental consent. But I mainly just want to grow in my faith - and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for new Christians?

How old are you?
Don’t be ashamed of the Gospel
Original post by strangledleaf
get a KJV Bible, whether an audible one or a physical one and read it cover to cover, from Genesis to Revelation. and like htung181200 said, do not be ashamed of the gospel, If you're confident enough, preach it to everyone around you.
Reply 5
"Joseph of Arimathaea, being a disciple of Jesus, but secretly for fear of the Jews, besought Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus: and Pilate gave him leave." (John 19v38)

It was right for him to remain a secret disciple at that time, otherwise the Sanhedren would have kicked him out of their Council where he bare witness against their false accusations. The occasion arose later for him to escape and fulfil his ministry. (I did some research here)

You certainly don't require parents consent to get baptised, mine never knew, it is between you and God.
If you receive the Spirit of God and live the new life he ministers daily they will see the difference and there is no law or argument against it's goodness.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending