Is it ok not to have a strong religious/cultural identity?

Watch
Justbeingmyself
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My life philosophy is more about treating all other human beings how I want to be treated, and incorporating the positive aspects of many different religions/cultures into my life without subscribing to anything specifically. Is that a legitimate way to live?
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yh, I guess?
Justbeingmyself
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
yh, I guess?
I guess so, and this is how I would want to raise any possible future children as well. However sometimes you feel pressure from others to act a certain way, or only mix with a certain group of people.
Ben878
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Modern society is increasingly becoming pro not having strong principles / backgrounds from a few, exclusive origins, and very pro having a favourable, tolerant, pick and choose philosophy from a larger number of sources. So, it will not be a problem with regard to modern society and will bring about many good things

But, I think removing firm beliefs and background to a person will cause more feelings of emptiness, having no grounded sense of self. Additionally, loosing a potential strong common ground between others. I think that's the main negative, although you could figure a way to find fix that negative
Last edited by Ben878; 2 years ago
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Justbeingmyself)
My life philosophy is more about treating all other human beings how I want to be treated, and incorporating the positive aspects of many different religions/cultures into my life without subscribing to anything specifically. Is that a legitimate way to live?
I think it's fine and it's how I live my own life
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think it's fine. Do whatever fits you best.
username4355882
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well I can't have a strong cultural identity even if I tried, so it got to be fine lol
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Justbeingmyself)
yes of course it's a legitimate way to live, if you wanted to label it as anything (which you certainly do not have to do) you could say you were a humanist. I'm a humanist atheist and plan to raise my children in that way
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes.
username2950448
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by batter mix)
Well I can't have a strong cultural identity even if I tried, so it got to be fine lol
Why not?
username4355882
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Palmyra)
Why not?
I am just a very diverse mix with no set roots in a particular culture. It’s complicated and ig if I tried, I could have one but it would be too much work. I am fine with it though
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ben878 (LfL))
cause more feelings of emptiness, having no grounded sense of self.
Nagarjuna and the early Buddhists will be chuffed.
Ben878
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by gjd800)
Nagarjuna and the early Buddhists will be chuffed.
I was thinking in terms of emptiness, typically in younger people, leading onto depression, anxiety etc. - as we're social animals and need that belonging and so on

What did the early Buddhists say about the problem of emptying the mind given our nature, such as being a social animal? I thought to a degree we can do nothing to be anything less than what we are? I'm not educated on the matter, I'm interested to know
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was thinking in terms of emptiness, typically in younger people, leading onto depression, anxiety etc. - as we're social animals and need that belonging and so on

What did the early Buddhists say about the problem of emptying the mind given our nature, such as being a social animal? I thought to a degree we can do nothing to be anything less than what we are? I'm not educated on the matter, I'm interested to know
'Emptiness' has a technical meaning in Buddhism (viz. the 'emptiness' of intrinsic nature) and is directly related to the no-self doctrine; I was making a nerd joke.
Ben878
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by gjd800)
'Emptiness' has a technical meaning in Buddhism (viz. the 'emptiness' of intrinsic nature) and is directly related to the no-self doctrine; I was making a nerd joke.
It does fit into the thread quite well though - from a Buddhist perspective the way to achieve emptiness is to strip out identity? (In that emptiness is an ideal to achieve)
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It does fit into the thread quite well though - from a Buddhist perspective the way to achieve emptiness is to strip out identity? (In that emptiness is an ideal to achieve)
Not quite, but not a million miles away. Emptiness is just a matter of fact: there are no entities that possess an immutable identity, there are no permanent substances. It's less of an ideal and more just how **** is. Brute fact, I suppose. There is identity, it's just dependent and not enduring: the background to this is Hindu accounts of atman (easiest way to think of that is similar to a soul) but it has since been levied against lots of theories of mind that suppose any permanent 'me'.

The 'ideal' would be not getting too caught up in these things, with the background premise that doing so increases your dissatisfaction with various aspects of your life.
username2998742
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Defo
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (14)
14.14%
I need help researching courses (8)
8.08%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.06%
I need help with my personal statement (40)
40.4%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (25)
25.25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.02%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.04%

Watched Threads