dingo13
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys, I have offers from both the above as well as Notts for the same course and B'ham for International Business but have narrowed it down to Manchester & UCL as I think they're the strongest of the bunch. I'm also waiting to hear back from Imperial but not expecting an offer given its already June.

What do you guys feel would be the best choice and why? Personally I feel a bit torn, I think Manchester would offer a nice student life environment, however UCL is perhaps the better options careers-wise as: 1) its mgmt dpt is based in Canary Wharf 2) even despite this London is a bigger business/financial hub than MCR and so better for career 3) UCL's reputation is perhaps stronger than MCR's and thus carries more weight with employers etc. I need to make a decision fairly soon (less than 3 weeks) so any advice/insights would be much appreciated! I was pretty much in the Manchester camp until getting the UCL offer made me think twice, particularly in terms of what would be best career-wise. As you can imagine from the course title I'm generally looking to get into (business/management) consulting.
Peterwv_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
UCL:
- Strong reputation in business and management
- Easier time applying to internships and graduate positions (location, location, location)
- High living expenses

Manchester:
- Solid business school reputation
- Additional travel time to and fro from London for interviews (where most of the positions are based)
- Lower living expenses

While Manchester certainly would not hinder your career growth, UCL has the stronger reputation in business and its location would streamline job applications.
dingo13
Rep:
?
bump
dingo13
Rep:
?
How about Nottingham?
shikha.sharma
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dingo13)
Hi guys, I have offers from both the above as well as Notts for the same course and B'ham for International Business but have narrowed it down to Manchester & UCL as I think they're the strongest of the bunch. I'm also waiting to hear back from Imperial but not expecting an offer given its already June.

What do you guys feel would be the best choice and why? Personally I feel a bit torn, I think Manchester would offer a nice student life environment, however UCL is perhaps the better options careers-wise as: 1) its mgmt dpt is based in Canary Wharf 2) even despite this London is a bigger business/financial hub than MCR and so better for career 3) UCL's reputation is perhaps stronger than MCR's and thus carries more weight with employers etc. I need to make a decision fairly soon (less than 3 weeks) so any advice/insights would be much appreciated! I was pretty much in the Manchester camp until getting the UCL offer made me think twice, particularly in terms of what would be best career-wise. As you can imagine from the course title I'm generally looking to get into (business/management) consulting.
Hey There,

MSc in management is one of the best offered masters course in the UK and it simultaneously makes the second most preferred international destinations for students with more than 4,00,000 international students coming to the country every year. MSc in management gives a strong educational foundation along with multicultural environment.

Since you are offered in both UCL and Manchester, Let’s compare the two on basis of several parameters;

Rankings – UCL is ranked eighth in the latest QS World University Rankings whereas University of Manchester is ranked 27th.

Course Overview- UCL’s MSc in management is a specialized and highly competitive full time program which aims to deliver quality inputs to students on practical management issues, current theoretical business debates and trends and equipping them with needful skills and knowledge which would be handy in leading organizations around the world. Students are inspired to work closely within a diverse and vibrant group who bring great range of business knowledge from all over the world.
Manchester’s MSc is a full time master’s course that is aimed for students who have no prior study experience in business management. The course enables to develop the necessary skills to foster ways of thinking, viewing and understanding organizations. Sustainability, innovation and social responsibility are key themes along with marketing, accounting and HR throughout the course.

Tuition Fees- UCL tuition fees for students from the UK/ EU is £9250 whereas for international students it ranges from £18,430 - £27,220 annually. Manchester’s tuition fees for UK/EU students is £13,500 and for international students is £22,500.

Career Prospects- MSc at UCL enables a graduate to contribute productively to his future employer; each student goes through career workshops, one-on-one advice sessions, exclusive business events, accessing the alumni network to sustain a high achieving job role in the market. Amazon, Barclays, Bloomberg, IBM, PwC etc are top recruiters in the UCL campus.
The graduates of Manchester University are able to sustain good positions in a variety of managerial roles across private, public and NPO platforms. Bosch, JP Morgan, ABS Consulting, KPMG are their recent recruiters.

So, with overall graph, you should go for any of the two you like as both schools have the best career prospects.

Good Luck!
dingo13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by shikha.sharma)
Hey There,

MSc in management is one of the best offered masters course in the UK and it simultaneously makes the second most preferred international destinations for students with more than 4,00,000 international students coming to the country every year. MSc in management gives a strong educational foundation along with multicultural environment.

Since you are offered in both UCL and Manchester, Let’s compare the two on basis of several parameters;

Rankings – UCL is ranked eighth in the latest QS World University Rankings whereas University of Manchester is ranked 27th.

Course Overview- UCL’s MSc in management is a specialized and highly competitive full time program which aims to deliver quality inputs to students on practical management issues, current theoretical business debates and trends and equipping them with needful skills and knowledge which would be handy in leading organizations around the world. Students are inspired to work closely within a diverse and vibrant group who bring great range of business knowledge from all over the world.
Manchester’s MSc is a full time master’s course that is aimed for students who have no prior study experience in business management. The course enables to develop the necessary skills to foster ways of thinking, viewing and understanding organizations. Sustainability, innovation and social responsibility are key themes along with marketing, accounting and HR throughout the course.

Tuition Fees- UCL tuition fees for students from the UK/ EU is £9250 whereas for international students it ranges from £18,430 - £27,220 annually. Manchester’s tuition fees for UK/EU students is £13,500 and for international students is £22,500.

Career Prospects- MSc at UCL enables a graduate to contribute productively to his future employer; each student goes through career workshops, one-on-one advice sessions, exclusive business events, accessing the alumni network to sustain a high achieving job role in the market. Amazon, Barclays, Bloomberg, IBM, PwC etc are top recruiters in the UCL campus.
The graduates of Manchester University are able to sustain good positions in a variety of managerial roles across private, public and NPO platforms. Bosch, JP Morgan, ABS Consulting, KPMG are their recent recruiters.

So, with overall graph, you should go for any of the two you like as both schools have the best career prospects.

Good Luck!
Hi thanks for this. I’m strongly considering Nottingham also, what’s your thoughts on that? Please reply ASAP as I’m looking to finally accept one of the offers (and Pay the sizeable deposit) tonight!!
nishu.sharma
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dingo13)

Hey There,

Since you are offered in both UCL and Manchester, Let’s compare the two on basis of several parameters like rankings, course overview, career prospects etc;

Tuition Fees - UCL tuition fees for students from the UK/ EU is £9250 whereas for international students it ranges from £18,430 - £27,220 annually. Manchester’s tuition fees for UK/EU students is £13,500 and for international students is £22,500.

Good Luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (184)
43.6%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.61%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.82%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (89)
21.09%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (42)
9.95%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.92%

Watched Threads