Nursingstudent90
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi I’m currently going back to university for my final year this September, I took a two years out to have my son so during this time I was able to claim universal credit for my son/rent etc. I’m a single parent and live alone with my son.
I started nursing in 2016 so I therefore am still able to apply for NHS bursary which I have done so; my question is which elements of the NHS bursary will affect my universal credit?
I have applied for the bursary for this year and am set to receive the basic award, non-means tested grant, dependents allowance, parent learning allowance, childcare allowance and the extra weeks allowance elements of the bursary. Iv tried contacting UC who have no idea and when I contacting NHS bursary they said none of it should be classed as income but I’m 100% this isn’t true..
universal credit meeting said only the basic award element should be counted as income! No one seems to know anything about it!

Any help would be very much appreciated
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Nursingstudent90)
Hi I’m currently going back to university for my final year this September, I took a two years out to have my son so during this time I was able to claim universal credit for my son/rent etc. I’m a single parent and live alone with my son.
I started nursing in 2016 so I therefore am still able to apply for NHS bursary which I have done so; my question is which elements of the NHS bursary will affect my universal credit?
I have applied for the bursary for this year and am set to receive the basic award, non-means tested grant, dependents allowance, parent learning allowance, childcare allowance and the extra weeks allowance elements of the bursary. Iv tried contacting UC who have no idea and when I contacting NHS bursary they said none of it should be classed as income but I’m 100% this isn’t true..
universal credit meeting said only the basic award element should be counted as income! No one seems to know anything about it!

Any help would be very much appreciated
All income must be reported - this includes any student income. UC, not your funding body are best placed to advise you on this.

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/St...iversal-Credit
Nursingstudent90
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Iv tried to contacting universal credit they have said they are not sure at the moment until I actually go back to university and submit a change in circumstances. This is great however I don’t want to go back to uni and find out I can’t afford it.
(Original post by Charlotte's Web)
All income must be reported - this includes any student income. UC, not your funding body are best placed to advise you on this.

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/St...iversal-Credit
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Nursingstudent90)
Iv tried to contacting universal credit they have said they are not sure at the moment until I actually go back to university and submit a change in circumstances. This is great however I don’t want to go back to uni and find out I can’t afford it.
Unfortunately none of these agencies can give you a speculative answer. If they tell you you can receive X amount now, anything could change in terms of their policies and your circumstances. There is quite a bit of advice online which suggests it will count towards your income but ultimately until you apply there is no way to confirm any exact amounts.
charlie.p.2019
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi I was wondering if you got an answer on this as I'm considering going back to university after taking a break and I'm also entitled to get my bursary back and was trying to figure out what my incoming would be if I go back to university
Sammyra
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hello Im on the same boat. What was the verdict? Which elements of the bursary do they take into account and deduct from the universal credit entitle? Thank you I've just applied for uc following relationship breakdown.
Vexper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
H6137 - Grants, if you use cntrl + F, it should be the third result, there's a list.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...4942/admh6.pdf

They'll take it all into consideration, and exclude the things they can, but on your statement that your case manager receives (they look at it first) make it very clear to them what all the different elements are in the grant.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (33)
16.5%
I'm not sure (7)
3.5%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (70)
35%
I have already dropped out (3)
1.5%
I'm not a current university student (87)
43.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed