How would you react if Brexit was CANCELLED!

Watch
Other_Owl
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Just curious...
Last edited by Other_Owl; 1 year ago
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Personally I'd rejoice, but also expect an angry ****storm from all the people who voted for it. I feel like it would make a lot of people even more disengaged in politics than they already are. The only way I could see people not being really angry about it is if there was a second referendum and Remain won by a significant margin.
ANO-NI-MUS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm pretty sure most people would be happy. Atleast I will be.
LeMetalhead
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Something like a -2 stability hit, gonna need a lot of mana points to recoup that
jmacvfm
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
have a party. you can all come!
DarthRoar
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Civil unrest.
username4540078
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DarthRoar)
Civil unrest.

Because there is no greater way to show your love for Britain quite like smashing the place up.
Burridge
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’d rejoice. B*llocks to Brexit. And b*llocks to the backward looking & intolerant politics that it has revitalised.
username402722
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd be very happy. Especially if it was a result of a second referendum.
RazzzBerries
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Whether you're a Remainer or you supported Vote Leave, there is one thing that stands. The British people will find some form of argument. If it ain't Brexit, it's how you pronounce scones. If not scones, then the right way to make a cuppa.
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Where I live now I'd be pretty muted. Don' want to annoy people.

Where I used to live - parties in the streets, tears of joy etc.
aa-k
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Slightly relieved but mostly disappointed that democracy would essentially be dead at that point.
(Original post by Other_Owl)
Just curious...
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There would be mixed feelings. I'm not a fan of it in the slightest but it would still be just... really pathetic - if it weren't cancelled by a referendum, that is.
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by aa-k)
Slightly relieved but mostly disappointed that democracy would essentially be dead at that point.
Bit dramatic - referenda have never been a feature of our democracy really. I think there's been 3 ever? And there certainly won't be any more within living memory after this farce.
aa-k
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The idea of a democracy is that the people can decide on certain things. The majority of the people's opinion is seen as the country's best interest. A majority voted to leave, therefore we must leave. On all other referendums, the result that people voted for was carried out.
(Original post by nexttime)
Bit dramatic - referenda have never been a feature of our democracy really. I think there's been 3 ever? And there certainly won't be any more within living memory after this farce.
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by aa-k)
The idea of a democracy is that the people can decide on certain things. The majority of the people's opinion is seen as the country's best interest.
Not really - that would be a 'direct democracy'. We've never had that. We vote for individuals who make decisions for us. We don't vote on which laws to pass, we don't vote on the Budget - that would be stupid. A classic example of where politicians do go against the public would be that most people would vote for reduced immigration but political parties including the conservatives and those who are "tough on immigration" have never really obliged due to the economic and ethical implications that the electorate simply doesn't consider.

All other referendums? There's only been two as I literally just said.

I am not saying that millions will not feel betrayed. I'm just saying that "democracy is dead" is histrionics.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd be relieved to see the value of my salary stop tanking, and that the insanity would be over in general.
username2998742
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
:party:
Wōden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Neither was universal suffrage until quite recently in our history (still within living memory). Just because referenda are an uncommon feature, doesn't invalidate the ones we have decided to hold, nor does it mean they can't become a more common feature in the future (I'd personally welcome a more direct democracy approach in certain areas of our politics, particularly in regards to issues such as the environment, foreign policy and immigration).
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Wōden)
Neither was universal suffrage until quite recently in our history (still within living memory).
Bit of a stretch of 'living memory'. OP's argument implies that referenda are a fundamental part of our existing democracy, and they aren't.

Just because referenda are an uncommon feature, doesn't invalidate the ones we have decided to hold
Never said they weren't 'valid', nor that people won't be annoyed if it was overturned. Just that 'democracy is dead' is a vast exaggeration.

nor does it mean they can't become a more common feature in the future (I'd personally welcome a more direct democracy approach in certain areas of our politics, particularly in regards to issues such as the environment, foreign policy and immigration).
With us being in the information era etc my interpretation of the Brexit referendum was that it was actually also a trial of a more direct democracy. That if the public made the 'right' decision that we'd be seeing far more referenda on such topics as you suggest.

The Brexit fiasco, both in terms of the current political mess and yes in terms of the outcome of the original vote being completely against what almost all experts recommended, has completely killed that idea off. Sorry to disappoint.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (57)
4.61%
Uncertainty around my education (190)
15.36%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (137)
11.08%
Lack of purpose or motivation (177)
14.31%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (54)
4.37%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (69)
5.58%
Loneliness (107)
8.65%
Financial worries (43)
3.48%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (57)
4.61%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
4.53%
Lack of real life entertainment (66)
5.34%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (110)
8.89%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (114)
9.22%

Watched Threads