Are most degrees a waste of time??? Watch

JoeCUK
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
With thousands of grads completing uni only to struggle in the work world thereafter is university over sold and should other avenues such as apprenticeships and vocational colleges be invested in to offer strong alternatives to uni??? Opinions please
Unconventional.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is this a question you've been set for homework? :')
JoeCUK
Rep:
?
Ha ha! No! It's a hot topic pinched it from LinkedIn
(Original post by Unconventional.)
Is this a question you've been set for homework? :')
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think struggling to find a job etc.. is just one of the many hardships offered by life, doesn't mean you should be discouraged from studying at university. You can't expect to get a job easily handed to you on a plate in such a competitive market thats just entitlement.

In my opinion university is worth it... as-long as you as an individual make the most of it (seeking internships, studying hard to build your skills, getting involved in societies and meeting new people). But if the system of student loans was different in a bad way in terms of paying back then yeah I would be more against uni

Although I do think in some ways university can be improved, but its up to students to actually tell their department/SU when it comes to things such as poor quality lectures.

I do think that apprenticeships are also a good idea
JoeCUK
Rep:
?
Good points well made thanks for sharing
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
I think struggling to find a job etc.. is just one of the many hardships offered by life, doesn't mean you should be discouraged from studying at university. You can't expect to get a job easily handed to you on a plate in such a competitive market thats just entitlement.

In my opinion university is worth it... as-long as you as an individual make the most of it (seeking internships, studying hard to build your skills, getting involved in societies and meeting new people). But if the system of student loans was different in a bad way in terms of paying back then yeah I would be more against uni

Although I do think in some ways university can be improved, but its up to students to actually tell their department/SU when it comes to things such as poor quality lectures.

I do think that apprenticeships are also a good idea
redbull114
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Unless the degree is important in being able to get into the field of work you want to do, such as Teaching, Medicine, Law etc, than doing a degree is definitely worthwhile. But for other career paths such as Engineering, Accountancy, Cooking, IT, all the skills and knowledge required to carry out roles in these careers can be gained through an Apprenticeship or a Level 3 course.

About 10% of the stuff you get taught in your degree will probably get put into practice when carrying out your job, so a lot of the stuff you learn isn't necessary and is just a waste of time, unless of course your doing something such as Medicine, Teaching etc where a high degree of theoretical knowledge and expertise is required.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This thread has been done to death on here, but aye. There is too much emphasis on university as an avenue to work. If you want educating for education's sake, then nae borra. If you expect work handing to you on a plate because you have a first, you're in for a shock. Lots of institutions are adding practical components and opportunities now for this reason, but the onus is really on the student to make themselves employable. That is something oft lost on the younguns, too.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well it really rather depends on the degree doesnt it... If you want to work in a professional office based environment then degrees are going to be infinitely more helpful than lea how to change a tire or some shite. Same goes for the reverse.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
'most' is a stretch, but yes - there are some that are a complete waste of time.
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
- what subject?

- what career?

- which university?

- what are the alternatives to break into that particular career?

- short term financial costs vs long term benefits of the degree.

there are too many variables
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I mean, it's mostly just signalling to employers that you've a certain amount of intelligence and perseverance so they will probably do well to hire you. That's it. Most non-vocational degrees do not prepare you for a specific profession.
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Going to a bad university can be a bad idea.
But then again that comes back to your results. If you achieved say ABC at A Level.

Then went to a middling university (non target) , achieved a low 2:1 and didn't feel the need to do a master's or showed any real initiative. Then were disheartened and only applied to 10 jobs... Whose fault is that.

Your going to need to show some self initiative and grit in life.

Make sure you pick the appropriate path and have goals.

No one is going to hand you a great life.
marinade
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A lot of outcomes after university is where you live and if you live in the wrong place are you mobile?

Apprenticeships are overegged just like degrees are. I think level 2 apprenticeships should be banned and focus on level 3-6.
_NMcC_
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends upon the Subject. I wouldn't say useless but there is a higher 'saturation' of degrees know as Universities are acting like businesses and pushing people through them.

Again depends upon the subject but in Science anyway a BSc + Master's or an Industrial year is near enough equivalent to the standard 'bachelors' 30/40 yrs ago in my opinion. You then need a pH.D to go further in Science.

But I've heard it's not easy in Engineering either despite one not necessarily needing a higher postgrad degree to get a Job.

Every qualification or area of expertise will have its challenges be it competition or workload etc You just have to get on with it and above all remember that hard work usually trumps most other aspects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (73)
9.46%
No I am happy with my course choice (455)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.86%

Watched Threads