ebay scam? how to get money back? help

Watch
Ri012345
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I bought a phone off ebay it is a new iPhone and I was told that postage should take 3 days. It's been 3 days and the phone hasn't arrived. I paid with bank transfer, I have tried to contact the seller but there has been no response through texts (which have been delivered but been left unopen) and through calls.
What should I do? Will I be able to get my money back? Should I contact my bank to ask for advice?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Ri012345)
I bought a phone off ebay it is a new iPhone and I was told that postage should take 3 days. It's been 3 days and the phone hasn't arrived. I paid with bank transfer, I have tried to contact the seller but there has been no response through texts (which have been delivered but been left unopen) and through calls.
What should I do? Will I be able to get my money back? Should I contact my bank to ask for advice?
Contact eBay. Bank is very unlikely to refund you being a bank transfer.

In fact if someone is asking for bank transfer alarm bells should ring.

You may eventually need to contact Action Fraud or the Police.

If this is a scam there is very little chance you'd get your money back, sorry.
Ri012345
Rep:
?
This was my first time purchasing from eBay so I wasn't aware that bank transfers were shady.
I will try and contact eBay, thank you.
(Original post by ecolier)
Contact eBay. Bank is very unlikely to refund you being a bank transfer.

In fact if someone is asking for bank transfer alarm bells should ring.

You may eventually need to contact Action Fraud or the Police.

If this is a scam there is very little chance you'd get your money back, sorry.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
...I wasn't aware that bank transfers were shady...
Sure, if you are young it's an easy mistake to make.

If you are an adult you really should know, a lot of people have hundreds of thousands scammed because of bank account transfers. The banks usually do not give the money back because it's a "willing transection".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48385426

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...our-money-back
Gent2324
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
yea if u paid with bank transfer youre ****ed really. only chance you have is contacting your bank, ebay wont do anything
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
lesson to be learnt, good luck
Strelzo
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Was payment carried out through the site, or externally? If it's externally, that wasn't the smartest thing to do, and most likely you will not be able to get your money back. If the payment was internal, you shoul be able to contact eBay; a seller can't sell something, but not deliver; that's fraud, especially when it's on a secure site.
Ri012345
Rep:
?
externally, which after seeing all this does seem like a red flag but I didn't know at the time
(Original post by Strelzo)
Was payment carried out through the site, or externally? If it's externally, that wasn't the smartest thing to do, and most likely you will not be able to get your money back. If the payment was internal, you shoul be able to contact eBay; a seller can't sell something, but not deliver; that's fraud, especially when it's on a secure site.
Strelzo
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
externally, which after seeing all this does seem like a red flag but I didn't know at the time
Yeah, you've kind of screwed yourself. You never know though, you may find there is a way, but I wouldn't count on it :/
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
If you shop at Ebay, always shop with Paypal. If something goes wrong, it is easier to get your money back.

You can try contacting your bank, but it is unlikely they can help.
chikane
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hmm what you could do is open a case and say you never received the item and if it goes in your favour they could attempt to take money from his paypal/ebay account and it will leave him in the negative. Next time always pay with Paypal it is much safer and you are protected. Open a case with ebay.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (147)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my education (154)
16.42%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (88)
9.38%
Isolating with family (65)
6.93%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (34)
3.62%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (82)
8.74%
Loneliness (95)
10.13%
Financial worries (39)
4.16%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (85)
9.06%
Exposure to negative news/social media (64)
6.82%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (85)
9.06%

Watched Threads