Higher Computing 2019/2020 Watch

Kubsyy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone!

Since SQA exams are finished and it’s being marked simultaneously checked correctly, I wanted to start a thread for Higher Computing.

So how you guys feel towards higher computing?, will it be easy or hard?.

Update: Welp, I found out that I will have the same teacher who doesn’t teach yet again!. Time to go through hell again by revising from textbooks😡.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Kubsyy; 3 weeks ago
nat5dawg
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Afternoon

Just thought I'd drop some links to websites that really helped me revise for Higher Comp Sci this year:
- Great revision notes: https://sites.google.com/rgc.aberdee...ome?authuser=0
- All the prelim papers (bar 2019): https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/nl...uting-science/

Of course, the course content may change (again) this year - who knows - but the basis of it should be the same. For example, the majority of the content in all the past papers (2015-2018) was actually not included in the course for 2019, but a good few questions were still absolutely relevant.

My advice to those taking it this year is to focus mainly on the specimen paper (usually released in September) and also on the course specification. I really do stress reading and understanding the content in the course spec, because for numerous questions in the exam this year - they could be answered by just memorizing parts of the course spec (eg F/E cycle or intelligent systems). It's all about memorizing the theory and understanding the harder parts such as programming/web dev.

comp sci is hands down the best subject (not up for debate...) and higher, while it is naturally more difficult, is so much more fun than nat 5. enjoyyy
Last edited by nat5dawg; 2 weeks ago
Kubsyy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Thank you!, it will be useful when I will have study
(Original post by nat5dawg)
Afternoon

Just thought I'd drop some links to websites that really helped me revise for Higher Comp Sci this year:
- Great revision notes: https://sites.google.com/rgc.aberdee...ome?authuser=0
- All the prelim papers (bar 2019): https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/nl...uting-science/

Of course, the course content may change (again) this year - who knows - but the basis of it should be the same. For example, the majority of the content in all the past papers (2015-2018) was actually not included in the course for 2019, but a good few questions were still absolutely relevant.

My advice to those taking it this year is to focus mainly on the specimen paper (usually released in September) and also on the course specification. I really do stress reading and understanding the content in the course spec, because for numerous questions in the exam this year - they could be answered by just memorizing parts of the course spec (eg F/E cycle or intelligent systems). It's all about memorizing the theory and understanding the harder parts such as programming/web dev.

comp sci is hands down the best subject (not up for debate...) and higher, while it is naturally more difficult, is so much more fun than nat 5. enjoyyy
Strelzo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Higher Computing is going to be great; we have completed SUB Routines and Paramater passing for software development and so far it's been very easy. The thing that is weird is that our class consists of National 4, National 5 and Higher students lol. The main focus is obviously that of the Higher student's interests, but it just seems insane that there are 3 different levels of qualifications that are being sat to be achieved inside the one class.
Kubsyy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Oh lol, I do not know how my class will be because I will have tomorrow but one of my friends talked to the teacher and he said that there will be 2-3 highers (me and my friend I’m presuming) and the rest will be national 5 which is really funny. But I really hope that I pass nat 5 and do higher to do a year of hell again ahaha. But I’m glad that you’re enjoying already
(Original post by Strelzo)
Higher Computing is going to be great; we have completed SUB Routines and Paramater passing for software development and so far it's been very easy. The thing that is weird is that our class consists of National 4, National 5 and Higher students lol. The main focus is obviously that of the Higher student's interests, but it just seems insane that there are 3 different levels of qualifications that are being sat to be achieved inside the one class.
Kubsyy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello guys, does anybody know websites, links etc that provide programming tasks appropriate for higher computing?. I was searching through websites when I had computing and I couldnt find any. I have ordered bright red’s higher computing book but Im afraid that they might not have programming tasks to do. I would be really, really greatful if anybody knows if there is anything with those tasks.
nat5dawg
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Kubsyy)
Hello guys, does anybody know websites, links etc that provide programming tasks appropriate for higher computing?. I was searching through websites when I had computing and I couldnt find any. I have ordered bright red’s higher computing book but Im afraid that they might not have programming tasks to do. I would be really, really greatful if anybody knows if there is anything with those tasks.
Unfortunately this was something I never really managed to find. Your best bet is to have a look at past coursework papers (my phone is being annoying so I can't link them but google should find them) and do what you can with them. Hope that helps a bit
Strelzo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I could give you problems from the ones we were doing in class if you want?
Kubsyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Strelzo)
I could give you problems from the ones we were doing in class if you want?
That would be really good if you can.
Kubsyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by nat5dawg)
Unfortunately this was something I never really managed to find. Your best bet is to have a look at past coursework papers (my phone is being annoying so I can't link them but google should find them) and do what you can with them. Hope that helps a bit
Yeah I’m aware of that, which is stupid but oh well. I would do a coursework practice but that would be complex for me because I don’t understand programming constructs and algorithms for higher yet, so I just want easy tasks that gets me started. But thanks.
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Different exam board, but there's a good list of programming challenges to try to practise with here:
https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/260930...es-booklet.pdf

Project Euler has some good practise problems too: https://projecteuler.net/archives
Hackerrank also has some good tasks for programming practise: https://www.hackerrank.com/dashboard
Kubsyy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Hello guys, I want to ask, how would I solve this and convert any denary to binary to 16 bit twos complement?Name:  F5F6A132-E2A8-4C9B-BFBA-E64E6CDE4F9F.jpg.jpeg
Views: 5
Size:  11.8 KB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.91%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (97)
34.28%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
20.85%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.89%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
13.07%

Watched Threads