The Student Room Group

Higher Physics 2019/2020

for higher physics people
Hello
Hi, we have a cover teacher as physics teacher is away marking sqa papers so we have been left questions to answer everyday
Hello,Can anyone tell me if it is required you have knowledge on MACHOS and WHIMPS as well as gravitational lensing?
Hi, is anyone doing the refraction experiment for their Physics Assignment? What title have you put? Is there any advice you have on anything? I'm doing the assignment this week
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi, I'm a crash higher - any advice from people who have done Nat 5? Anything I must look over?
Reply 6
Original post by AC79
Hi, I'm a crash higher - any advice from people who have done Nat 5? Anything I must look over?

Hi there! Sorry that this reply is 2 weeks later but I would probably recommend looking over most of the national 5 course because higher is just looking more In depth of this national 5 knowledge. Some questions for higher exams have been national 5 level and I think the sqa like to chuck that in to throw us off a bit! Hope this helps!
Reply 7
Original post by JoS000
Hi there! Sorry that this reply is 2 weeks later but I would probably recommend looking over most of the national 5 course because higher is just looking more In depth of this national 5 knowledge. Some questions for higher exams have been national 5 level and I think the sqa like to chuck that in to throw us off a bit! Hope this helps!

Thank you!!
Reply 8
Original post by AC79
Thank you!!

Your welcome!
Hi, can anyone recommend the easiest way to learn right and left-hand rule (in Scotland) because different textbooks use different hands for each rule and it's really confusing?
Original post by Folayemi.f
Hi, can anyone recommend the easiest way to learn right and left-hand rule (in Scotland) because different textbooks use different hands for each rule and it's really confusing?

Just use the right hand for both rules and flip it in the opposite direction so if you got up on your right hand and it was a positive charge you would flip it so it would be down I really struggle with them myself but it helps knowing there is going to be like max 2marks on them so I wouldn’t worry yourself, have you done machos and gravitational lensing?
Original post by Maggie-xx
Just use the right hand for both rules and flip it in the opposite direction so if you got up on your right hand and it was a positive charge you would flip it so it would be down I really struggle with them myself but it helps knowing there is going to be like max 2marks on them so I wouldn’t worry yourself, have you done machos and gravitational len

thank you so much!! and no not yet
Is anyone able to help me understand how to know sign convention eq when to use positive and negative?
In the following question I don’t understand why a isn’t negative as she is accelerating down yet the initial velocity is regarded to as negative and it is in the downward direction!
It depends what you substitute into the formula. If you use negative for acceleration, you’re basically saying downward direction is negative. The marking scheme is using positive sign for acceleration and so they’re saying downward direction is positive. But ultimately the answer should be of downward direction. I hope that makes sense ?
Original post by Nrevix
It depends what you substitute into the formula. If you use negative for acceleration, you’re basically saying downward direction is negative. The marking scheme is sing positive sign for acceleration and so they’re saying downward direction is positive. But ultimately the answer should be of downward direction. I hope that makes sense ?

Can you just clarify why they have taken acceleration which is downwards as positive yet initial velocity which is downwards as negative, surely the sign convention is consistent, thanks for replying much appreciated x

Quick Reply

Latest