AlenJoseph
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey everyone! I was wondering if there was any excellent ways of revising calculations. I love maths but I am horrendous in chemistry calculations.
4TheBrighterSide
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AlenJoseph)
Hey everyone! I was wondering if there was any excellent ways of revising calculations. I love maths but I am horrendous in chemistry calculations.
Honestly, I would just say practice. That’s the best possible way. Here’s a file with some useful question for practice on it.
AlenJoseph
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 4TheBrighterSide)
Honestly, I would just say practice. That’s the best possible way. Here’s a file with some useful question for practice on it.
Thx a lod buddy!!
Maggie-xx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can anyone help me I’m challenged every time by the questions that want you to draw experimental apparatus and the marking schemes are very generic but some times I don’t even know where to start, I do very little experimental practice in class, can anyone give me tips.Eg. When how do you know what to use to separate nitrogen dioxide from oxygen?
Katyyferrierr
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is anyone else crashing higher chem without sitting nat 5?
Qwert007
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi has anyone here done the Higher P&N prelim??
AlenJoseph
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Qwert007)
Hi has anyone here done the Higher P&N prelim??
I dont think i sat the P&N but ill tell u the Chem prelim aint easy!!
Qwert007
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AlenJoseph)
I dont think i sat the P&N but ill tell u the Chem prelim aint easy!!
Ohhhhhh what stuff was in it
AlenJoseph
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Calculations are just ugghhh

There are many questions of finding the prices and now I find them easy but just make sure to look at values such as gfm and moles

Open ended questions are more AIDS than i thought! There was a question about antifreeze but just rant on about hydoxl group, polarity of hydrogen bonds and how polar things dissolve in polar solvents.

Make sure you are aware of the time, two hours and twenty mins - sounds long but trust me the chem prelim is a mad long journey!

All the best of luck! God bless.
Mollyanne2003
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hows everyone found unit 2? We haven’t covered it yet, and wondering what I should prepare myself for
Katyyferrierr
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mollyanne2003)
hows everyone found unit 2? We haven’t covered it yet, and wondering what I should prepare myself for
I never done nat 5 chemistry so I’m completely crashing higher this year but unit 2 was actually pretty easy in my opinion as long as u know the basics
Mollyanne2003
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Katyyferrierr)
I never done nat 5 chemistry so I’m completely crashing higher this year but unit 2 was actually pretty easy in my opinion as long as u know the basics
That’s so good to hear honestly, I found whichever unit didn’t have all the calculations in it a lot easier, and am semi understanding the other one (I can’t remember which is which!) but I was hoping for something simple to complete it - I did N5 and got an A but had to really really try for it!
Katyyferrierr
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mollyanne2003)
That’s so good to hear honestly, I found whichever unit didn’t have all the calculations in it a lot easier, and am semi understanding the other one (I can’t remember which is which!) but I was hoping for something simple to complete it - I did N5 and got an A but had to really really try for it!
The only things I had to try a bit harder to understand were things with a bit of a nat 5 background to them but after I understood that it was completely fine and it was an enjoyable unit, I do advanced higher biology so that did help a lot with proteins and other topics tho
Mollyanne2003
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Katyyferrierr)
The only things I had to try a bit harder to understand were things with a bit of a nat 5 background to them but after I understood that it was completely fine and it was an enjoyable unit, I do advanced higher biology so that did help a lot with proteins and other topics tho
Yeh I’m finding quite a bit of crossover with higher human biology and chemistry which is quite useful!
Katyyferrierr
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Does anyone have any tips on how to effectively revise chem, tried the usuals ways I do for bio but I’m finding it time consuming with not much pay off
GalaxiSwirl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey! I'm crashing higher chemistry, (without having done it at all in high school), and I'd like to know what would be best to revise for the prelim, and some good revision resources, I can't seem to find any questions online except past papers and I've really been struggling with this subject. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Katyyferrierr
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by GalaxiSwirl)
Hey! I'm crashing higher chemistry, (without having done it at all in high school), and I'd like to know what would be best to revise for the prelim, and some good revision resources, I can't seem to find any questions online except past papers and I've really been struggling with this subject. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
I actually crashed it as well this year without doing it before n managed to get 82% in my prelim, I used the past papers on sqa and older past papers not on there as well (the website new chemistry teaching resources has all of them), I also have a book called questions and paper which is rlly useful for questions on each topic, to get to grips with the content tho I make mindmaps and get my parents to test me on them which I find rlly helps
Maggie-xx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Are enthalpy of neutralisation and of solution in the higher course?
Katyyferrierr
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Maggie-xx)
No they got taken out, I’m sure it’s only enthalpy of combustion you need to know
4TheBrighterSide
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Maggie-xx)
i’m pretty sure neutralisation is no longer in the course specification but solution is as it was in my prelim.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (407)
68.06%
No (191)
31.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed