Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Maggie-xx)
Name:  0D10048C-34EB-4C99-9DFA-CF2A36ADBB3B.jpeg
Views: 12
Size:  51.0 KB
can someone explain how to write equation please x
Not sure how helpful this is after exams are cancelled but its OCl-(aq) + 2H+(aq) + 2e-  Cl-(aq) + H2O(l). This is because the iodine and hydrogen are both OXIDATION reactions. Then you try to balance OCl-(aq) arrow Cl-(aq) by adding H20 to the right since the right side needs an O atom then adding 2H+ to the left to balance the hydrogen atoms on the right. The electrons are added to make sure the charge is similar on both sides (2e-)
Maggie-xx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by chubchubbs)
Not sure how helpful this is after exams are cancelled but its OCl-(aq) + 2H+(aq) + 2e-  Cl-(aq) + H2O(l). This is because the iodine and hydrogen are both OXIDATION reactions. Then you try to balance OCl-(aq) arrow Cl-(aq) by adding H20 to the right since the right side needs an O atom then adding 2H+ to the left to balance the hydrogen atoms on the right. The electrons are added to make sure the charge is similar on both sides (2e-)
Hydrogen is oxidation?oxidation is loss of electrons and it is gaining electrons to form water?
chubchubbs
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hydrogen is oxidation?oxidation is loss of electrons and it is gaining electrons to form water?
You're right, it is reduction but there isn't any valid way to actually find a way to properly balance the reaction with hydrogen/maybe OCl- is a stronger oxidizing agent as I haven't read the whole context of the question. Check the marking scheme if you want but I'm pretty sure its right.
Maggie-xx
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You're right, it is reduction but there isn't any valid way to actually find a way to properly balance the reaction with hydrogen/maybe OCl- is a stronger oxidizing agent as I haven't read the whole context of the question. Check the marking scheme if you want but I'm pretty sure its right.
Thanks for responding sorry I just have no idea with some of these questions😂are you in 5th year?
chubchubbs
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thanks for responding sorry I just have no idea with some of these questions😂are you in 5th year?
No problem, I'm not the best at chemistry either! And yeah 5th year rn (technically S6 I suppose with exams cancelled and everything):afraid:
Maggie-xx
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No problem, I'm not the best at chemistry either! And yeah 5th year rn (technically S6 I suppose with exams cancelled and everything):afraid:
That’s true! I feel I’ve lost my purpose, is your school expecting you to continue with highers? I hate this limbo x
chubchubbs
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That’s true! I feel I’ve lost my purpose, is your school expecting you to continue with highers? I hate this limbo x
Not really no. :no: There are no exams so what's the point right? Luckily I worked hard throughout the year and got good grades in the prelim so I don't need to do anything but I know this is not the case for a lot of people. I'll probably get a head start on my advanced highers with the spare time of 5 months. Hbu?
Maggie-xx
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not really no. :no: There are no exams so what's the point right? Luckily I worked hard throughout the year and got good grades in the prelim so I don't need to do anything but I know this is not the case for a lot of people. I'll probably get a head start on my advanced highers with the spare time of 5 months. Hbu?
My school wants us to go in for second prelims over the next two weeks which I think is obscene! Initially I was happy exams were cancelled but I don’t know what I was thinking as I hate the uncertainty, I’ve worked hard this year and did well in my prelims, I’m applying for a few jobs at the moment to try and get a bit of money, what are you hoping to study at uni?
chubchubbs
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My school wants us to go in for second prelims over the next two weeks which I think is obscene! Initially I was happy exams were cancelled but I don’t know what I was thinking as I hate the uncertainty, I’ve worked hard this year and did well in my prelims, I’m applying for a few jobs at the moment to try and get a bit of money, what are you hoping to study at uni?
I've heard of schools doing that! I think it defeats the whole point of cancelling school though. I'm also trying to write my CV to apply for jobs and other essays for things but my mum doesn't want me to due to the corona virus. Hopefully medicine but not sure at this point. Wbu?
Maggie-xx
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I've heard of schools doing that! I think it defeats the whole point of cancelling school though. I'm also trying to write my CV to apply for jobs and other essays for things but my mum doesn't want me to due to the corona virus. Hopefully medicine but not sure at this point. Wbu?
Totally agree it defeats the point! Same I would also like to study medicine have you done any career exploration x
chubchubbs
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Totally agree it defeats the point! Same I would also like to study medicine have you done any career exploration x
Uhhh yeah? I wanted to be a vet for a long time but then I did some work experience for both medicine and vet and decided I liked medicine more. Vaguely looked at pharmacology and nursery. Really hard to get any volunteering besides for Covid-19 (not a lot anyway). How about you? x
Maggie-xx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Uhhh yeah? I wanted to be a vet for a long time but then I did some work experience for both medicine and vet and decided I liked medicine more. Vaguely looked at pharmacology and nursery. Really hard to get any volunteering besides for Covid-19 (not a lot anyway). How about you? x
Yes I’ve done a bit here and there, it’s definitely good to keep options open as a lot of people are a bit gung-ho and not sure what they are committing themselves into!x
chubchubbs
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes I’ve done a bit here and there, it’s definitely good to keep options open as a lot of people are a bit gung-ho and not sure what they are committing themselves into!x
Yeah, I do get that sometimes with people who have never done work experience or volunteering being like "I 100% WANT TO DO THIS!!!" (not discrediting them or anything.) What advanced highers/higher are u planning on doing?
Maggie-xx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah, I do get that sometimes with people who have never done work experience or volunteering being like "I 100% WANT TO DO THIS!!!" (not discrediting them or anything.) What advanced highers/higher are u planning on doing?
Maths, chemistry and biology, however I’m tempted to switch maths for physics so will just have to see I guess. Also if I only do three subjects despite them being advanced highers it will mean I have lots of free periods so may need to take up another course I was thinking like personal training at college or something because my school don’t like us to go home! What about you?x
chubchubbs
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Maths, chemistry and biology, however I’m tempted to switch maths for physics so will just have to see I guess. Also if I only do three subjects despite them being advanced highers it will mean I have lots of free periods so may need to take up another course I was thinking like personal training at college or something because my school don’t like us to go home! What about you?x
Same subjects+Higher French! Our school's timetable doesn't allow people to take three sciences so I can't imagine taking all of them to advanced higher. I was thinking of getting free periods to do work experience (volunteer at a care home with a friend) idk if that's gonna happen though with the current situaton. Have you signed up for any of the medic summer schools? x
Maggie-xx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Same subjects+Higher French! Our school's timetable doesn't allow people to take three sciences so I can't imagine taking all of them to advanced higher. I was thinking of getting free periods to do work experience (volunteer at a care home with a friend) idk if that's gonna happen though with the current situaton. Have you signed up for any of the medic summer schools? x
I applied for medic insight but given the current situation I can’t see it running, have you applied for any, should we continue this chat on private message?x
Valeriex
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Is anyone here going to do advanced chemistry next year?
chubchubbs
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Valeriex)
Is anyone here going to do advanced chemistry next year?
I am
IbeIC123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
I am
Same
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (214)
33.75%
No (420)
66.25%

Watched Threads