A Pathway Through Grief (A blog) Watch

Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
You know. I read something today, basically said that anger is not "wrong", no emotion is wrong, it's just a reaction in the body, why judge it? I feel like I actually judge my emotions far too harshly, perhaps my psychologist is right. It's not just her though, so many people say I'm way too self-critical. It's something I've been working on in therapy, though. I think I finally get what my psychologist keeps saying to me. Like not just on an intellectual level, but I get it on an emotional level. I need to be less judgemental of myself. It is doing me no favours. Can't say it won't be hard to stop, after all it is a reflex action I acquired in childhood, but it is something I can change. I can channel it into something positive perhaps. At least being actively more mindful of it should help (theoretically).

I think the same applies to grief. I keep judging myself for being "slow" with "getting over it" - but the thing is, grief doesn't really have like a set time to "get over it." I've noticed though that certain mental health professionals reinforce my faulty logic, perhaps they feel guilty (yay! Projection amirite)? Maybe I'm triggering something in them? Perhaps they lost a patient or loved one to suicide? I dunno. I guess I need to be less judgemental with them as well, because boy am I. In my opinion, they could use a class or 12 in how to talk to people like they are...y'know, human.

Idk. Just something I was thinking about, because I couldn't sleep. Again. :facepalm:
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Pathway)
Yeah, I don't like to think of what could've happened had I not been able to get therapy with her. Didn't even seem phased when I said to her at one appointment that I was paranoid she was gonna be like my dad because she's Iranian. She actually said she had thought it might bother me, but didn't want to bring it up yet. :lol:

Feel like I do. But thank you. And idk, I'm an atheist so I'm not sure why I am thinking about this. I think it might be because of guilt or something. Need to have punishment or something. Dunno.

I actually haven't, where did you hear it? I feel like I can sort of relate to it.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, that must've been horrific to deal with at such a young age. Also sorry to hear about your other losses too. Did they hit you differently? I hope I'll be able to deal with it in a healthy way as well. I just feel stuck at the moment I suppose. :dontknow:
I read it on twitter. Yes they all hit me differently.
Pathway
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
I read it on twitter. Yes they all hit me differently.
:console:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, I don't like to think of what could've happened had I not been able to get therapy with her. Didn't even seem phased when I said to her at one appointment that I was paranoid she was gonna be like my dad because she's Iranian. She actually said she had thought it might bother me, but didn't want to bring it up yet. :lol:

Feel like I do. But thank you. And idk, I'm an atheist so I'm not sure why I am thinking about this. I think it might be because of guilt or something. Need to have punishment or something. Dunno.
I remember you saying that she said she'd thought it might bother you, when it happened at the time! :yes:

I think grief and guilt make us think of all kinds of things that we don't actually believe in or usually think about

Btw, really proud of you for the other post you made, that I repped. I know it's a hard slog and that progress is rarely linear in these types of severe trauma. But you are too hard on yourself
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
:console:
thank you, i actually had a colleague tell me i'd had a hard life (from what they know) when i decided to quit my job just over a week ago and that i deserve to be happy which was lovely of them. And i m going to say the same to you, you are pretty strong dealing with a lot that other people could never imagine what that's like so don't be so hard on yourself. There's no such thing as being slow going through grief, its a different journey for every death, but as long as you take steps forward (even if there's steps back in that) then that's what matters.

You're right nothing that you're feeling is ever wrong or not valid. I know it must be tricky with your eds but is there a physical safe hobby you can take up to focus on when things feel a bit much, it was painful for me for a bit after my grandma died as she taught me a lot of what i know but i find baking or just cooking a new recipe very helpful whenever i m struggling with mental and emotional stress or certain songs i can't help but enjoy.
Pathway
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
I remember you saying that she said she'd thought it might bother you, when it happened at the time! :yes:

I think grief and guilt make us think of all kinds of things that we don't actually believe in or usually think about

Btw, really proud of you for the other post you made, that I repped. I know it's a hard slog and that progress is rarely linear in these types of severe trauma. But you are too hard on yourself
It really does. And thank you. I feel like writing this all out in this thread has really helped for some reason, I dunno why. But this is literally the sort of stuff that keeps me up at night. :lol:

thank you, i actually had a colleague tell me i'd had a hard life (from what they know) when i decided to quit my job just over a week ago and that i deserve to be happy which was lovely of them. And i m going to say the same to you, you are pretty strong dealing with a lot that other people could never imagine what that's like so don't be so hard on yourself. There's no such thing as being slow going through grief, its a different journey for every death, but as long as you take steps forward (even if there's steps back in that) then that's what matters.

You're right nothing that you're feeling is ever wrong or not valid. I know it must be tricky with your eds but is there a physical safe hobby you can take up to focus on when things feel a bit much, it was painful for me for a bit after my grandma died as she taught me a lot of what i know but i find baking or just cooking a new recipe very helpful whenever i m struggling with mental and emotional stress or certain songs i can't help but enjoy.
It sounds really hard, I can't imagine what it's like to lose a parent. And encountering such a final thing at such a young age must've been so difficult, I agree with your colleague, you are very strong. I sort of feel like in a way because I wasn't really allowing myself to actually process the grief when it happened because I'd just dissociate, it's sort of like it's all coming up now? If that makes sense? I'm not sure. I know July is going to be a hard month, A died on July 7th, I want to do something...just don't know what. I agree though, I feel like I am making progress, it's just painful. For some reason I find it hard to admit that it hurts, like I feel as though when you admit it hurts it makes it more real?

I'm not sure. People are encouraging me to get back into my hobbies, especially gaming and technology (I'm a big ol' nerd at heart, what can I say lol), but I just feel bad. I feel like moving on or doing things that are fun are off limits. The reinforcement from the EDS (e.g. gaming hurts because my hands are messed up) just furthers my faulty logic of I deserve punishment. I just don't find joy in anything, or well, the sparks of "joy" get quickly taken down and damaged. It's like the world is drained of colour. I dunno. Guilt and shame are really problematic for me because of the complex PTSD, the grief just amplifies it. Like even all these things I'm verbalising in this thread feel "bad" to verbalise because my brain is like "you don't deserve to heal", does that make sense? I dunno, I feel like I talk in circles about this sometimes. I annoy myself with it even. :rofl: I used to enjoy baking a lot before my hands crapped out on me, what do you like to bake?
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It sounds really hard, I can't imagine what it's like to lose a parent. And encountering such a final thing at such a young age must've been so difficult, I agree with your colleague, you are very strong. I sort of feel like in a way because I wasn't really allowing myself to actually process the grief when it happened because I'd just dissociate, it's sort of like it's all coming up now? If that makes sense? I'm not sure. I know July is going to be a hard month, A died on July 7th, I want to do something...just don't know what. I agree though, I feel like I am making progress, it's just painful. For some reason I find it hard to admit that it hurts, like I feel as though when you admit it hurts it makes it more real?

I'm not sure. People are encouraging me to get back into my hobbies, especially gaming and technology (I'm a big ol' nerd at heart, what can I say lol), but I just feel bad. I feel like moving on or doing things that are fun are off limits. The reinforcement from the EDS (e.g. gaming hurts because my hands are messed up) just furthers my faulty logic of I deserve punishment. I just don't find joy in anything, or well, the sparks of "joy" get quickly taken down and damaged. It's like the world is drained of colour. I dunno. Guilt and shame are really problematic for me because of the complex PTSD, the grief just amplifies it. Like even all these things I'm verbalising in this thread feel "bad" to verbalise because my brain is like "you don't deserve to heal", does that make sense? I dunno, I feel like I talk in circles about this sometimes. I annoy myself with it even. :rofl: I used to enjoy baking a lot before my hands crapped out on me, what do you like to bake?
It's quite surreal looking back on it, it was especially difficult in that i look like dad I have his hair colour amongst other things and many people used to tell me i'm the spitting image of him which made me feel guilty sometimes because i was reminding them of their loss too, i don't feel like that anymore as i see my appearance and quite a bit of my personality traits as a way to remember him.I might have got less than 10 years but the time i did have and the impact he had on me i m very grateful for.

It makes sense that it's all coming up now that you are letting yourself process it, i dont think i disassociated exactly but i repressed a lot of memories/pain for a while and when you do let yourself process that it can be very overwhelming. Is there anything that you and A liked to do together that you would feel able to enjoy at this point to give yourself a nicer memory for that date?
Doing fun things when you're going through this shouldn't be something you make off limits for yourself. That does make sense, it's a vicious circle that you're find difficult to break. If you struggle to let yourself feel joy, then let yourself feel a little hope that you can come out of this grief, you've gotten this far in being able to share with us you can keep working through it.

I ll try baking anything really especially any cake with buttercream or chocolate cookies i used to be afraid to mess up because of my dyspraxia but with baking as long as the taste is great it really doesn't matter about the presentation of it.
Pathway
Rep:
?
It's quite surreal looking back on it, it was especially difficult in that i look like dad I have his hair colour amongst other things and many people used to tell me i'm the spitting image of him which made me feel guilty sometimes because i was reminding them of their loss too, i don't feel like that anymore as i see my appearance and quite a bit of my personality traits as a way to remember him.I might have got less than 10 years but the time i did have and the impact he had on me i m very grateful for.

It makes sense that it's all coming up now that you are letting yourself process it, i dont think i disassociated exactly but i repressed a lot of memories/pain for a while and when you do let yourself process that it can be very overwhelming. Is there anything that you and A liked to do together that you would feel able to enjoy at this point to give yourself a nicer memory for that date?
Doing fun things when you're going through this shouldn't be something you make off limits for yourself. That does make sense, it's a vicious circle that you're find difficult to break. If you struggle to let yourself feel joy, then let yourself feel a little hope that you can come out of this grief, you've gotten this far in being able to share with us you can keep working through it.

I ll try baking anything really especially any cake with buttercream or chocolate cookies i used to be afraid to mess up because of my dyspraxia but with baking as long as the taste is great it really doesn't matter about the presentation of it.
That's really quite amazing, did it take long for that change in thought processes to happen? I'm sorry you lost him, but I am glad he had such a profound affect on you, it sounds like he really was a great father? :console: Does talking about him help you? I sort of feel like I only remember negative things at the moment about them. Like when I think about A I mostly think of when I saw her in her coffin. It's just sad.

Yeah, there are a few things. Our mutual friendship group is a bit fragmented at the moment, two people are in hospital (in psychiatric units), so I don't know really. I'll have to have a think. I was thinking perhaps doing some sort of art project with one of my best friends. I dunno. I just miss her.
I know logically it shouldn't be off limits, but that's why the complex PTSD is a complicating factor. Even before they all died, I had trouble with it. My dad isn't a very nice person to put it lightly, and anything remotely positive was not good if it didn't fall within his ever changing goal posts, so my brain dealt with it by making everything off limits (seemed logical to kid me lol). I am trying to allow myself to have hope though, it just feels weird and foreign, for lack of a better term.

I agree. I don't have dyspraxia but my hands make me clumsy because of grip issues. Like I'm pretty much banned from the kitchen in a cooking/baking sense, like my parents won't let me in there without assistance now because I usually end up either trashing the place or hurting myself, or both. I don't really bother now, I think that's partially because of fatigue and stuff as well as clumsiness and whatever. EDS is a pain in the arse, lol. I wanna figure out a way to get back into it somehow with more independence idk. That's something I need to think about. I guess in a way I grieve this sort of stuff too, like my independence and old hobbies I was able to do before my EDS and stuff got worse, ah, annoying situation.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's really quite amazing, did it take long for that change in thought processes to happen? I'm sorry you lost him, but I am glad he had such a profound affect on you, it sounds like he really was a great father? :console: Does talking about him help you? I sort of feel like I only remember negative things at the moment about them. Like when I think about A I mostly think of when I saw her in her coffin. It's just sad.

Yeah, there are a few things. Our mutual friendship group is a bit fragmented at the moment, two people are in hospital (in psychiatric units), so I don't know really. I'll have to have a think. I was thinking perhaps doing some sort of art project with one of my best friends. I dunno. I just miss her.
I know logically it shouldn't be off limits, but that's why the complex PTSD is a complicating factor. Even before they all died, I had trouble with it. My dad isn't a very nice person to put it lightly, and anything remotely positive was not good if it didn't fall within his ever changing goal posts, so my brain dealt with it by making everything off limits (seemed logical to kid me lol). I am trying to allow myself to have hope though, it just feels weird and foreign, for lack of a better term.

I agree. I don't have dyspraxia but my hands make me clumsy because of grip issues. Like I'm pretty much banned from the kitchen in a cooking/baking sense, like my parents won't let me in there without assistance now because I usually end up either trashing the place or hurting myself, or both. I don't really bother now, I think that's partially because of fatigue and stuff as well as clumsiness and whatever. EDS is a pain in the arse, lol. I wanna figure out a way to get back into it somehow with more independence idk. That's something I need to think about. I guess in a way I grieve this sort of stuff too, like my independence and old hobbies I was able to do before my EDS and stuff got worse, ah, annoying situation.
Yes it did take years to change my thought processes. He was a great father. Talking about him does help, one of my closest friends also has a dead parent so talking about our parents together is very therapeutic.
It must be awful seeing A in her coffin, i've not been to an open casket funeral before so not had that experience. I'm sorry that your dad is like that, that isn't what a good parent should be to their child. It's good you're letting yourself hope.

My step dad wouldn't let me near knifes but now living with my husband, he knows the worst i could do is perhaps knock something over or hurt myself with a knife so i just accept something might break or the kitchen could be a mess but that's fixable. I know it's very limited for adults but could you get referred to an occupational therapist they might be able to suggest equipment to make things safer for you to do in the kitchen/ in general. One of my favourite kitchen utensils, is an easy grip tin opener and i have a hook for pull rings as i can't do them with my hands and they were very reasonably priced.
Like there's a lot of mug recipes for microwaves you can find which are easier to mix and i have a couple of giant mugs to prevent spillages when i'm mixing. It's okay to grieve the changes your EDS has caused you, accepting my limits took a long time but i've always had them (apart from not being able to self medicate with caffiene anymore), i imagine it must be very difficult when it's not something you've always had.
Pathway
Rep:
?
Yes it did take years to change my thought processes. He was a great father. Talking about him does help, one of my closest friends also has a dead parent so talking about our parents together is very therapeutic.
It must be awful seeing A in her coffin, i've not been to an open casket funeral before so not had that experience. I'm sorry that your dad is like that, that isn't what a good parent should be to their child. It's good you're letting yourself hope.

My step dad wouldn't let me near knifes but now living with my husband, he knows the worst i could do is perhaps knock something over or hurt myself with a knife so i just accept something might break or the kitchen could be a mess but that's fixable. I know it's very limited for adults but could you get referred to an occupational therapist they might be able to suggest equipment to make things safer for you to do in the kitchen/ in general. One of my favourite kitchen utensils, is an easy grip tin opener and i have a hook for pull rings as i can't do them with my hands and they were very reasonably priced.
Like there's a lot of mug recipes for microwaves you can find which are easier to mix and i have a couple of giant mugs to prevent spillages when i'm mixing. It's okay to grieve the changes your EDS has caused you, accepting my limits took a long time but i've always had them (apart from not being able to self medicate with caffiene anymore), i imagine it must be very difficult when it's not something you've always had.
:console: I'm sorry to hear about your friend and her parent. I'm glad you have someone who "gets" it though, I think in hard times that is essential. How did you guys become friends?

It wasn't open casket in that sense, we just went to see her in the Chapel of Rest. For the funeral part it was closed. She had already sort of started decomposing the second time we saw her in the Chapel of Rest (my friends and I went twice), but I found out that apparently low body weight makes decomposition happen faster regardless of how the body is cared for after death. It just was weird. I don't know if I regret going to see her body. Like she looked so peaceful, but it was just...weird. I don't know how to explain that. Her fingers being blackened on the second visit just stressed me out, I dunno.

Yeah, I saw social services, they got me to see an OT, but she didn't really know what to do with me with regards to my hands. Pull rings are just annoying, they make me dislocate the knuckle joint, and if they're "sharp" then I'll cut my finger too on the inside - Like why? lol. EDS is just a gift that keeps on giving. Will try out what you have though, I sort of gave up with adaptive utensils and stuff 'cause I just got annoyed with them after a while.

Ohhh! Good thinking. I have a giant mug too, has Homer Simpson on it. I have always had limits because of my EDS, but they got progressively worse? If that makes sense. So I had to keep adjusting, but now I'm like "what do?" - I can't figure out how to do it now, not without help or I just hurt myself. I think it's the cumulative affect of injury, like my left shoulder is always out of socket now just from the weight of my arm unless I'm continuously tensing the muscle to hold it in. I was told it is because of all the dislocations I keep having, but it's still annoying and painful. Are you unable to self-medicate with caffeine because of the POTS? How are you coping at the moment? :hugs:
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
:console: I'm sorry to hear about your friend and her parent. I'm glad you have someone who "gets" it though, I think in hard times that is essential. How did you guys become friends?

It wasn't open casket in that sense, we just went to see her in the Chapel of Rest. For the funeral part it was closed. She had already sort of started decomposing the second time we saw her in the Chapel of Rest (my friends and I went twice), but I found out that apparently low body weight makes decomposition happen faster regardless of how the body is cared for after death. It just was weird. I don't know if I regret going to see her body. Like she looked so peaceful, but it was just...weird. I don't know how to explain that. Her fingers being blackened on the second visit just stressed me out, I dunno.

Yeah, I saw social services, they got me to see an OT, but she didn't really know what to do with me with regards to my hands. Pull rings are just annoying, they make me dislocate the knuckle joint, and if they're "sharp" then I'll cut my finger too on the inside - Like why? lol. EDS is just a gift that keeps on giving. Will try out what you have though, I sort of gave up with adaptive utensils and stuff 'cause I just got annoyed with them after a while.

Ohhh! Good thinking. I have a giant mug too, has Homer Simpson on it. I have always had limits because of my EDS, but they got progressively worse? If that makes sense. So I had to keep adjusting, but now I'm like "what do?" - I can't figure out how to do it now, not without help or I just hurt myself. I think it's the cumulative affect of injury, like my left shoulder is always out of socket now just from the weight of my arm unless I'm continuously tensing the muscle to hold it in. I was told it is because of all the dislocations I keep having, but it's still annoying and painful. Are you unable to self-medicate with caffeine because of the POTS? How are you coping at the moment? :hugs:
we met in high school and kind of bonded over the difficulties we had in life. It's understandable seeing her like that stressed you out.The pull ring thing i use you can grip with any part of your hand, so hopefully it could help. I see how things getting worse could be frustrating when you've just worked out how to work with your body then it gets worse.

Yes caffeine puts my heart rate up a bit much, it's been six months since i switched to just a couple of teas a day and then decaf the rest of the day and i m reasonable at peace with my limits being worse now when it means i have no physical symptoms of anything so i m coping pretty well (I just crave a couple of actual coffee sometimes but then it passes). Deciding to leave my job, despite being nerve wracking not having another one yet has really helped me feel better recently.
Pathway
Rep:
?
we met in high school and kind of bonded over the difficulties we had in life. It's understandable seeing her like that stressed you out.The pull ring thing i use you can grip with any part of your hand, so hopefully it could help. I see how things getting worse could be frustrating when you've just worked out how to work with your body then it gets worse.

Yes caffeine puts my heart rate up a bit much, it's been six months since i switched to just a couple of teas a day and then decaf the rest of the day and i m reasonable at peace with my limits being worse now when it means i have no physical symptoms of anything so i m coping pretty well (I just crave a couple of actual coffee sometimes but then it passes). Deciding to leave my job, despite being nerve wracking not having another one yet has really helped me feel better recently.
I'm glad you have someone like that.

That honestly sounds like an epic invention, haha! What's the ring pull thing called?

Wow, that's an amazing improvement! How come you left your job? Was it due to being ill? I'm glad you're feeling better though, it's really great to hear that.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm glad you have someone like that.

That honestly sounds like an epic invention, haha! What's the ring pull thing called?

Wow, that's an amazing improvement! How come you left your job? Was it due to being ill? I'm glad you're feeling better though, it's really great to hear that.
the one i have isn't this exact one but it's the closest i can find is https://www.amazon.co.uk/SupaHome-Op.../dp/B01H2T3IB4 . I decided to leave because i'm not happy in my job anymore, hadn't been for a while and i spent so much time of my life not happy, i m not spending anymore unhappy (got three weeks notice left to go) and i m keeping hopeful i ll find something i enjoy to start sometime in July.
Pathway
Rep:
?
the one i have isn't this exact one but it's the closest i can find is https://www.amazon.co.uk/SupaHome-Op.../dp/B01H2T3IB4 . I decided to leave because i'm not happy in my job anymore, hadn't been for a while and i spent so much time of my life not happy, i m not spending anymore unhappy (got three weeks notice left to go) and i m keeping hopeful i ll find something i enjoy to start sometime in July.
That's really, really great to hear. That's a good life philosophy to have to be honest. Life's way too short to be spending it doing stuff you don't enjoy or don't want to do, and to get nothing out of it. I'm glad you're putting your happiness first!

Thanks for the link. :ninja:
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's really, really great to hear. That's a good life philosophy to have to be honest. Life's way too short to be spending it doing stuff you don't enjoy or don't want to do, and to get nothing out of it. I'm glad you're putting your happiness first!

Thanks for the link. :ninja:
Thank you
Pathway
Rep:
?
Feel really sort of weird, I guess. They've opened an investigation into Am's suicide. Been asked if I have questions and stuff, idk. Like yeah, I have so, so many, but mostly they can only be answered by someone who doesn't breathe anymore. Just hate not knowing things. Also don't want to ask something offensive. Idk.

In other news, have to go past the place K died tomorrow, and tbh every time I have to I just want to shove my head through a wall.

I dunno, not much to say right now I guess.
Pachuco
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wouldn't worry about asking anything offensive, and maybe asking will help you? Worst that can happen is the question can't be answered surely? :hugs:
Fermion.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No I don’t have any support. But I finally had the courage to phone up my GP and make an appointment
Pathway
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pachuco)
I wouldn't worry about asking anything offensive, and maybe asking will help you? Worst that can happen is the question can't be answered surely? :hugs:
I guess so. I just feel bad about it. :hugs: Thank you.

(Original post by Fermion.)
No I don’t have any support. But I finally had the courage to phone up my GP and make an appointment
How are you feeling about it? I can help if you like? My PM is always open. :console: Well done on making the first move, it's not always easy to reach out.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fermion.)
Well done! Sorry to hear of what you're going through, though :console:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (153)
17.83%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.74%
No I am happy with my course choice (506)
58.97%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (124)
14.45%

Watched Threads