Abbie2106
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Ok, Im actually asking for a friend whose dream was to attend Cambridge uni but she got 2A*s and a B, she always wondered if she could get in because she follows study youtubers who have said that they got 3B's or have not met the grade standard and were still accepted into Cambridge or Oxford. Other Top unis.
My question is how strict are top universities in regards to the grade threshold for example the usual grade u need to get is A* A A,
Would they accept if u got two A*s and a B ?
Just curious 🤔
Thanks
Student040803
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
She probably won’t get it unless she has loads of achievements outside of school
Fe1ixXx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
How important are GCSEs for Cambridge?
Coolkitkat23
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
not hugely important, i know someone who got in with 2 a*s, however ALEVELS are key to getting in, (Ive been told that a million times lol)
(Original post by Fe1ixXx)
How important are GCSEs for Cambridge?
amartyasen
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
all depends on the course she wants to get into. some courses will have very competitive applicants so it is unlikely she will be considered as the grades are the primary criteria (considering people projected 3-5 A*s sometimes don't even get interviewed). having said that having a very good entrance test score will help.
king axolotl
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
If she's applying post A-Level and isn't retaking the subject she got a B in, then from what I've read (I am by no means an expert) I don't think it'll be likely she'd get an offer. Oxbridge care a lot about grades and she'd be missing their offer. I'm pretty sure you're referring to Miss Varz with the BBB grades, in which case you should realise she, and others, applied for the LMH Foundation Year first and then reapplied to Oxford.
I've heard of applicants with offers missing their grades getting in, but these are generally exceptional circumstances and have already received an offer, whereas by the sounds of it your friend would be applying with a grade that doesn't meet the threshold.
Again, I'm not an expert (I'm in year 12 lol), and its not for me, you, or anyone else to decide where she should apply, but I don't think she'd be a particularly strong candidate in a sea of post A-Level applicants with grades that meet the criteria.
(Original post by Abbie2106)
Ok, Im actually asking for a friend whose dream was to attend Cambridge uni but she got 2A*s and a B, she always wondered if she could get in because she follows study youtubers who have said that they got 3B's or have not met the grade standard and were still accepted into Cambridge or Oxford. Other Top unis.
My question is how strict are top universities in regards to the grade threshold for example the usual grade u need to get is A* A A,
Just curious 🤔
Thanks
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Abbie2106)
Just curious 🤔
Thanks
There's a difference between pre-grade applications and post. I'd she applied already holding A*A*B then she would be very very unlikely to get an offer. If she was predicted the required grades, made an application, was strong in all parts of the application, got a standard offer and then dinged one A level, then there might have been a very slim chance of getting a near miss place, especially with contextual flags.

However, if A*A*B is her actual aptitude level, then there would be no point in getting a place, the pace at Cambridge is relentless and if you aren't at A/A* level on day 1 of the course, you are likely to struggle.
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Very strict, the workload at Oxbridge is VERY heavy hence the high and strict grade requirements
meme259
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
no
sweeneyrod
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
There's a difference between pre-grade applications and post. I'd she applied already holding A*A*B then she would be very very unlikely to get an offer. If she was predicted the required grades, made an application, was strong in all parts of the application, got a standard offer and then dinged one A level, then there might have been a very slim chance of getting a near miss place, especially with contextual flags.

However, if A*A*B is her actual aptitude level, then there would be no point in getting a place, the pace at Cambridge is relentless and if you aren't at A/A* level on day 1 of the course, you are likely to struggle.
I think you're exaggerating the difficulty. According to the 2018 stats, an offer-holder for arts/humanities/social sciences who ends up getting A*A*B would have a 2/3 chance of acceptance (or higher, since some people who receive offers decline them). Even offer-holders who get below AAA sometimes get accepted (around 5% of the time).

Based on these stats, I think getting an offer for a humanity with A*A*B already achieved would be perfectly plausible, if your application was strong in other areas and you had some explanation for the B. After all, A*A*B is in some sense equivalent to A*AA which is the standard offer for humanities. The situation is different for sciences because the grading for the relevant A-levels there is more consistent, so there's less scope for getting unlucky.
catph
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
That isn't true. Cambridge is about academic achievement. I went, as did my husband and our daughter. She got 5 A* at A level; six if you count general studies. However, I would still apply. What have you got to lose? What if the B grade was an aberration? If she gets an interview and performs well, she could be offered a place. I would advise even looking up the people at the college she has applied to who would be interviewing in her subject and seeing what they have written and reading it before the interview.
A quote from Cambridge:
"Admissions decisions at the University of Cambridge are based solely on academic criteria – your ability and your potential. Along with all the other information you provide, interviews help Admissions Tutors to assess your application.
Everyone with a realistic chance of being offered a place is invited to attend an interview – that's around 75% of applicants each year. "
(Original post by Student040803)
She probably won’t get it unless she has loads of achievements outside of school
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (128)
23.88%
Pop (125)
23.32%
Jazz (24)