The Student Room Group

Missed gcse English Lang paper 1 aqa -illness

They will use your mock grade I think

Missed gcse English Lang paper 1 aqa -illness

The only illness reason they'll allow is if its very serious. Like, vomiting for hours, diarrhoea, not a cold. If it is serious, they'll just use paper 2, and if you miss paper 2, then I imagine they use a mock or predicted grade.
What illnesses might I ask?
Original post by GiveMeCoffee4
The only illness reason they'll allow is if its very serious. Like, vomiting for hours, diarrhoea, not a cold. If it is serious, they'll just use paper 2, and if you miss paper 2, then I imagine they use a mock or predicted grade.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
I’m sorry but is nearly having a seizure and fainting not serious enough?
I obviously can't say every illness, but the main ones would be food poisoning, and not an illness, but if passing out, that would also count. Exam boards are cruel with illness.:frown:
Original post by aisha2147
What illnesses might I ask?
That is quite definitely very serious, did someone call your school about it? If that was the case the school needs to tell the exam board about it for special consideration
Original post by Kitty900
I’m sorry but is nearly having a seizure and fainting not serious enough?
have you contacted the school so they know? if not then you'll get a U
Reply 7
I was treated at school and taken home and obviously couldn’t take the exam after an hour it’s been sat
Original post by nintysixthousand
have you contacted the school so they know? if not then you'll get a U
Reply 8
if you were treated at school, they would definitely pass it on to the exams officer who would then inform the exam board. You will be considered for special consideration. If in doubt talk to your school! x
Reply 9
It happened in school quite embarrassing but I just collapsed whilst lining up to do the exam so all the teachers were there, they won’t let me do the exam after because I was deemed ‘unfit’ mentally, was crying and all over the place
That is quite definitely very serious, did someone call your school about it? If that was the case the school needs to tell the exam board about it for special consideration
We don’t do official mocks with any exam boards just the school, they make up their own papers and didn’t they stop giving mock grades as the actual grade years ago?
Original post by Student040803
Reply 11
awww :frown: best thing to do is speak to your school. They will definitely tell the exam board so I wouldn't worry. Just make sure you smash paper 2, and hopefully special considerations will mean alternative measures will be put in place for you. People on student room aren't your school or the exam board, so like i said, you need to speak to your school and find out what will happen bc no one can give you a definitive answer on here xx
It happened in school quite embarrassing but I just collapsed whilst lining up to do the exam so all the teachers were there, they won’t let me do the exam after because I was deemed ‘unfit’ mentally, was crying and all over the place
If the questions were the same style as the exam board, then they can transfer the marks on the mocks to the grade boundaries. More likely is that they just use your paper 2 and scale it up to the whole thing.
We don’t do official mocks with any exam boards just the school, they make up their own papers and didn’t they stop giving mock grades as the actual grade years ago?
Reply 13
That's a myth that they use your predicted grade/ previous mock grades. the rules are here: https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/other-documents/estimating-the-mark-when-a-candidate-is-absent
If the questions were the same style as the exam board, then they can transfer the marks on the mocks to the grade boundaries. More likely is that they just use your paper 2 and scale it up to the whole thing.
I hope you get better soon.
In my school, apparently decided by the government, if you miss an exam for a genuine reason, they take your paper 2 and add 5%.
A girl in my school last year did paper one for a subject and was very ill so couldn't do paper 2. In paper 1 she got a 7 but since they only add 5% she ended up with an overall grade 4.
count 5% as a grade 1
Also what they used to do is that they would look at your paper 2 and find someone who did similarly to you in paper 2, then use their paper 1 mark/grade for you
(edited 4 years ago)
yeh they don't anymore
Oh my god no way that is the most unfair sh*t I’ve ever seen. This means I’m not going to pass because I definitely didn’t get a 7 or above. I’m so shocked how can they be so harsh with this. Is this not what they do https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/other-documents/estimating-the-mark-when-a-candidate-is-absent
Original post by Dayo03
I hope you get better soon.
In my school, apparently decided by the government, if you miss an exam for a genuine reason, they take your paper 2 and add 5%.
A girl in my school last year did paper one for a subject and was very ill so couldn't do paper 2. In paper 1 she got a 7 but since they only add 5% she ended up with an overall grade 4.
count 5% as a grade 1
Oh my god no way that is the most unfair sh*t I’ve ever seen. This means I’m not going to pass because I definitely didn’t get a 7 or above. I’m so shocked how can they be so harsh with this. Is this not what they do https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/other-documents/estimating-the-mark-when-a-candidate-is-absent

I don't mean to scare you but that's what my teachers told me, but tbh they might do the JCQ thing , idk just hope for the best and maybe ask your teachers x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending