Commuting - Train or Car Watch

Chloe750
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm starting a course at Portsmouth Uni in September but am living at home in Bournemouth and commuting. I am trying to decide if it is best to drive to uni (about an hour and mostly on the motorway) or catch the train (two trains and journey ranges between 1hr15 and 1hr45). Or do a combination of the two depending on when I need to be in uni for. Any advice on this would be very much appreciated
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
centraltrains
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Does the uni have good parking? Train is good as it gives you time to either do some reading or just general thinking/reflection whereas you can't do that as such while driving!
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If there's good, cheap parking then car might be better but traffic going in for early morning lectures could be a nightmare. Train would be longer and if you had a railcard it may work out cheaper than driving, but if your train is delayed or cancelled there's not much you can do whereas in a car you could find an alternate route. A mixture of the two would probably work out best. If I pass my test before September then I'd take the bus/train for morning lectures and drive for one's that were later on in the day.
centraltrains
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
[If your worried about delays, you can use https://www.mytrainjourney.co.uk to check how often trains get delayed.]
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Chloe750)
I'm starting a course at Portsmouth Uni in September but am living at home in Bournemouth and commuting. I am trying to decide if it is best to drive to uni (about an hour and mostly on the motorway) or catch the train (two trains and journey ranges between 1hr15 and 1hr45). Or do a combination of the two depending on when I need to be in uni for. Any advice on this would be very much appreciated
Hi Chloe,

You have already received great advice here, I would just add it may be beneficial to do the journey both by car and train at peak times or rush hour. This will give you an idea of if you could see yourself doing the trip by that means of transport and if you prefer a certain way.

Tom
Chloe750
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
If there's good, cheap parking then car might be better but traffic going in for early morning lectures could be a nightmare. Train would be longer and if you had a railcard it may work out cheaper than driving, but if your train is delayed or cancelled there's not much you can do whereas in a car you could find an alternate route. A mixture of the two would probably work out best. If I pass my test before September then I'd take the bus/train for morning lectures and drive for one's that were later on in the day.
Thank you for the advice!
I am going to visit the uni later this month and will be driving, so I will get a good idea of what the drive is like and hopefully can assess the parking situation. I was thinking a mixture of the two but I know I struggle in the mornings so it's a case of if I have to get up earlier to get the train, am I better driving?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you for the advice!
I am going to visit the uni later this month and will be driving, so I will get a good idea of what the drive is like and hopefully can assess the parking situation. I was thinking a mixture of the two but I know I struggle in the mornings so it's a case of if I have to get up earlier to get the train, am I better driving?
Well it could easily even out - if you're stuck in a lot of traffic for the majority of a commute then a train journey could actually be quicker even if you'd have to leave earlier. I live in Birmingham and a friend of mine went to BCU, she always got the bus into town in the morning even though she could drive as it meant she didn't have to worry about parking etc and the cost of a bus ticket was cheaper than petrol and parking charges combined. It all depends on your personal situation though. I think making the drive to gauge distance and what the roads are like is a good call. I'm starting at Coventry in September so I'll be making the journey before then so at least I'll know roughly where I'm going and won't get lost on the first day.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
To park on university owned land at Portsmouth you need a parking permit and it looks like they only issue them to students with a blue badge.
http://www2.port.ac.uk/departments/s...nt/CarParking/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.75%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (99)
34.74%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
20.7%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.82%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.98%

Watched Threads