Do employers really think people with first class degrees have no social life? Watch

Kimber2222
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Recently got a first class degree in English Literature and read numerous forums stating that those with a first class degree are less likely to be employed. To me, it seems ridiculous. I worked part time, went out 3 times a week and did everything every other student does. Worried that just because I got a 1:1 employers will look at me differently and will think I’m socially awkward etc. Interested in other people’s opinions.
Enginerd.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Any sources? Not heard that before.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kimber2222)
Recently got a first class degree in English Literature and read numerous forums stating that those with a first class degree are less likely to be employed. To me, it seems ridiculous. I worked part time, went out 3 times a week and did everything every other student does. Worried that just because I got a 1:1 employers will look at me differently and will think I’m socially awkward etc. Interested in other people’s opinions.
I got a first class too and I've never heard of this claim. Unless those people on forums can back up their claims with statistics then we can confidently dismiss what they're saying as fabrications. After all, a candidate is judged during an interview and so there'd be no reason for an employer to think you're socially awkward if you come across as confident.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah I heard that too. My daughter got a first in Maths - but it has never held her back. A relative actually said to her that he felt sorry for her because his daughter got a 2:1 and enjoyed her degree.
Kimber2222
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My brother in law said it which lead me to search on google. If you search “is a first class degree useful?”, you’ll come across lots of forums stating that those who get firsts are worse off than those who get 2.1’s or even 2.2’s. Just interested in opinions that’s all.
(Original post by Enginerd.)
Any sources? Not heard that before.
Enginerd.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My brother in law said it which lead me to search on google. If you search “is a first class degree useful?”, you’ll come across lots of forums stating that those who get firsts are worse off than those who get 2.1’s or even 2.2’s. Just interested in opinions that’s all.
Yeh, I guess it kinda makes sense.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
marinade
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Large datasets suggest that those with 2.1s and 2.2s outearn those with 1sts. However initially those with 1sts do do better (under 30).

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...hem-in-england
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Generally speaking employers draw conclusions about whether to hire people based on their performance in interviews, not from a degree or anything on a CV. The CV and degree tends to be a way for interviewers to decide who to invite to interview and a big starting point when hiring graduates, but it's pretty much irrelevant when it comes to the final decision-making process.

While there may be some statistical correlation between degree classification and employability, it could just as easily be a correlation between degree classification and performance in interviews. For example, perhaps the types of people who are most lkely to work extremely hard to get top grades at everything are also the types of people who are lacking in communication skills; but communication skills are exactly the kinds of things that interviewers will pick up on, so if an interviewer feels that the person they're interviewing may be particularly weak in that area then that's a common reason for interviewers having doubts and deciding to choose someone else who may have been better able to speak clearly and articulate themselves to leave a better impression overall. .
threeportdrift
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, of course they don't. It's just folks that don't organise their time better that presume it must be the case. Employers should be able to see from your application that you've done things alongside your degree.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
I got a first class too and I've never heard of this claim. Unless those people on forums can back up their claims with statistics then we can confidently dismiss what they're saying as fabrications. After all, a candidate is judged during an interview and so there'd be no reason for an employer to think you're socially awkward if you come across as confident.
I recall that Prof Robert Winston said it once; but he is recruiting people who've studied medicine at UG, which is kind of a unique position to be in. Extremely hard to get a first, not a lot of spare time anyway, and if you only spend your time in the books when you are free, you perhaps are not a very interesting person.

But he's one person and a bit of a Labour gobshite.
Last edited by Notoriety; 1 month ago
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have heard of this claim but cannot back it up. Apparently people with 1st Class degrees esp in STEM were too focused on studying that they did not find time for other activities like SU, clubs, societies or developing in other ways.

Obviously, this is generalisation, but it would be bad to disqualify a candidate because they were top of their class.
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
why would an employer care if you have a social life or not?
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by J-SP)
No.

But if all they have on their CV is a first class degree, then they could.
Would you prefer a 1st class London South Bank lawyer or a 3rd Class Oxford lawyer with Magic Circle experience?
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
Would you prefer a 1st class London South Bank lawyer or a 3rd Class Oxford lawyer with Magic Circle experience?
She'd reject both of them and go with the high 2:1 grad with MC experience and a generally sexy looking application form
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
She'd reject both of them and go with the high 2:1 grad with MC experience and a generally sexy looking application form
Nah, i think she will pick the 3rd class Oxford lawyer with relevant experience. There is no 2.1 in the mix.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by J-SP)
I can’t quote Wired as I’ve blocked him.... so having to quote you instead....

Easy preference here though - the London South Bank Grad. The Oxford person with a third with MC experience is a unicorn - they don’t exist, or if they do their experience is down to Mummy/Daddy getting some work experience for them. No MC firms will accept below a 2.2
Regardless of whether it is from mummy/daddy, you would reject someone with relevant MC experience from Oxford? Wow.

I thought employers go for relevant experience over degree.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
Regardless of whether it is from mummy/daddy, you would reject someone with relevant MC experience from Oxford? Wow.

I thought employers go for relevant experience over degree.
You're not very well-acquainted with what these sort of employers are looking for

This 'experience' you're referring to is a joke

My own 'work experience' at an MC involved 2-hour lunch breaks and lots of free stuff

And it wasn't even assessed properly
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got a first and I was on the sauce 3 nights a week and going the footie in the reg. Not sure I've seen the claim made, tbh.
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That used to be said in the past when far fewer students (maybe one or two a year per subject other than sciences) got firsts. Haven't heard anyone mention it for years - since the numbers getting higher grades than in the past.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by J-SP)
If the firm has a minimum academic requirement of a 2.1, then it doesn’t matter how much experience they have if they have a third, they won’t be recruited.
Even with relevant experience? Are recruiters that strict?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.66%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.61%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.6%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.13%

Watched Threads