The Student Room Group

Do employers really think people with first class degrees have no social life?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cheesus69
correlation is not necessarily causation

Yep, cheers, next caller.
Son has Oxford Ist has been offered everything he has applied for.Load of old rubbish!Stop fretting and enjoy your achievements!
Original post by Kimber2222
Recently got a first class degree in English Literature and read numerous forums stating that those with a first class degree are less likely to be employed. To me, it seems ridiculous. I worked part time, went out 3 times a week and did everything every other student does. Worried that just because I got a 1:1 employers will look at me differently and will think I’m socially awkward etc. Interested in other people’s opinions.
Phd's and academic careers are not well paid.
Original post by marinade
Large datasets suggest that those with 2.1s and 2.2s outearn those with 1sts. However initially those with 1sts do do better (under 30).

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/apr/25/women-with-masters-degrees-paid-less-than-men-without-them-in-england
That is fair, but the assumption that the person is incapable of producing good work is too much. I think if the recruiter interviews the applicant and investigates more, they may like the applicant. Besides, nobody knows what a 1st or 2.1 candidate can do without relevant experience.

I’d rather take someone with relevant experience than one without esp one with experience in the top firms. Also, after a couple of years, the degree classification wont matter anymore.
Yes, i understand that part. I am stating that having a 3rd but with relevant experience should not be rubbished, when after a few years your degree classification does not matter.

It will be foolish to me for a recruiter to pass over such a candidate without first trying to at least interview the candidate. If I was the Chief Executive and my recruiter passed on a such a candidate without an interview, who then goes to do great things for our competitors, I would sack the recruiter for being stupid.

In my opinion, you should look at the whole candidate. Not making arbitrary decisions based on a degree classification that is no standardised across the board and is very subjective. E.g. is a 2.1 at Oxford or Manchester the same as a 2.1 at London Met or Leeds Beckett Uni?
Original post by J-SP
In 15+ years of legal recruitment, I can’t think I have ever seen someone with a third even apply.

I once had to careers coach someone who had achieved a third, and their attitude was pretty poor and so I had to explain they had absolutely no chance of getting in the front door, but that would have been the case if they also had a first.

That case was down to attitude and not performance. If a person with a 3rd has a good attitude, gone out to bag strong work experience in MC firms, performs well in interviews and growing their network. It is unfair to deny them of an equal opportunity based on an attribute that wont matter in the next 3-5 years.
It might depend on the degree. I had a life, I had a job and I did extra-curriculars but some regard 'Business' as a soft subject.
Although I'm not a law person @J-SP surely many MC firms place a minimum entry requirement of a 2,1 or a 2,2 otherwise they would be sifting through a ridiculous amount of CVs and applications?
Original post by Wired_1800
That case was down to attitude and not performance. If a person with a 3rd has a good attitude, gone out to bag strong work experience in MC firms, performs well in interviews and growing their network. It is unfair to deny them of an equal opportunity based on an attribute that wont matter in the next 3-5 years.
Original post by Themysticalegg
Although I'm not a law person @J-SP surely many MC firms place a minimum entry requirement of a 2,1 or a 2,2 otherwise they would be sifting through a ridiculous amount of CVs and applications?

Maybe J-SP can confirm, but I doubt many recruiters physically review those CVs like years ago. Several companies now use online assessments to sieve out the low performers. Then focus on the strong performers.

I find it a bit unfair that someone who passes the initial stages of an MC firm’s online tests, gets to the interview and does well, shows they have relevant experience, then gets rejected because they got a 3rd Class. To me, it is ridiculous.
Original post by J-SP
Exactly - it will near on impossible for someone with a third to “bag” strong work experience in MC firms given they got a third.

For TCs most firms will have a minimum 2.1 requirement. If you can’t train, you can’t qualify, you can’t get 3-5 years of relevant work experience.

I am saying a kid who got experience during his undergraduate days. Here is a scenario:

Jacob is an Oxford student. Before his first year, he took a gap year and interned in an MC firm, just learning about law. During his first year’s summer vacation, he joins another MC firm as an intern. He interns in other firms during his undergraduate career. At the time of graduation, he has almost 2 years of relevant work experience across MC firms. He also has good references. Unfortunately he bags a 3rd class.

He then applies for a job, the recruiter sees the 3rd class in his CV, interviews him anyway and sees that he performed really well. Then she rejects him because he got a 3rd class from Oxford.

Isn't that unfair?? Should that be allowed?
1. Not all internships are the same. Some may be more useful than serving tea or photocopying documents.

2. The name was random and does not have to be male. It can be a Jacob, Phillipa, Olivia or George.

3. I tried to balance the gender with a male student and female recruiter. It can be the other way round as well.

4. Ok, Jacob passed the online assessments. The reviewer of his CV may have been influenced to invite him to an interview based on his experience. You look at the whole application and not just the degree classification.

5. Many examinations esp at places like Oxford, I think, tend to have examinations in the final year that count towards their degree. So it is not a wild assumption to see people perform poorly on their final examinations. It happens during A Levels as well. Also, not everyone is a good test taker.
Original post by J-SP
Jacob is a unicorn....

Year long placements in law are incredibly rare. Where they do happen, it’s not generally for gap year students. Where they do happen, you wouldn’t be working in a billable hours team - at best you’d be in a business support role.

Jacob would have achieved or been on track for a 2.1 in his first year to have got an internship with a MC firm in his first year. If he had been on track for a 2.1 and got a third in his final year, then there’s either extenuating circumstances or Jacob has gone downhill in terms of attitude or approach. The previous means this hypothetical situation is now completely irrelevant to the discussion, the latter means they would never be recruited due to their attitude.

If the recruiter knew there was a T&C in the employment contract that said they needed to have achieved a 2.1, they wouldn’t have brought Jacob through to interview.

For his gap year, he may be in a business support role. Afterwards, he may be doing decent work during his undergraduate summer placements.

There are some unis like Oxford, I think, where they have their examinations in the final year. So Jacob wont need to show that he is on track for a 2.1, as he wont have grades to back it up.

Also, if he performed well during his gap year, there is a good chance that he will be invited back for his first year vacation scheme.
But it still counts as experience over another person with no experience. When you compare those without relevant experience with those with relevant experience. Surely, the relevant experience should count more.

Some universities don't have regular assessments like I pointed out. So yes, your undergraduate degree is down to how lucky you are in two weeks of your final year of study.
Original post by J-SP
If I block someone on TSR, they shouldn’t be able to quote you. I have now had to unblock you just to respond to something you keep banging on about with little to no insight about....

He won’t be doing “decent” placements at a MC firm without a 2.1. His first year’s work experience pre uni is practically meaningless. It doesn’t equate to him being able to get a training contract.

Yes, Oxford don’t assess formally until final year. However, you do mock assessments before then and your academic tutors provide you with grades and predicted grades based on your essays and seminar performances. There are also pre lim and mod assessments pre final year, they just don’t go towards the final grade.

He wouldn’t be taken on a vacation scheme without achieving a 2.1 in his first year.

Ok, let’s assume he does achieve the 2.1 and bags the vacation scheme for both years, then ends up with a 3rd. Do you still punish someone with relevant experience?

I agree that I am not a recruiter, but I am trying to understand the reasoning behind such restrictions. Yes, attitude can play a part in poor performance but there are people who have the right attitude and still do poorly in their examinations. Not everyone is a test taker.
If you have a first class degree and nothing else, then yeah it's easy for employers to come to that conclusion. Employers expect to hire the best candidates so candidates must have more than just a degree to their names :smile:
The experience can be subjective and, like I wrote before, Jacob’s could be really relevant esp with experience in the MC set.
H
Original post by J-SP
The person with “no experience” wouldn’t be hired either. There is no decision between one or the other - neither would be successful.

Original post by J-SP
I explained this. That would happen if either extenuating circumstances were present OR if they had a change in attitude. Extenuating circumstances mean this conversation is null and void. A change in attitude wouldn’t be acceptable.

So you dont hire 1st class graduates with no relevant experience? This is interesting.
Original post by J-SP
MCs are firms not sets....

They won’t have relevant experience. That won’t have happened until they are a qualified lawyer...

That is fair. So those UG students who are in MC firms are not gaining relevant experience?
Somewhere that requires a 1st for consideration isn't going to give two hoots about your social life.
I am talking about all relevant experience. Experience is subjective because a UG at Freshfields will surely have a different experience to another person at A&O or Linklaters.

Yes, you dont have to have MC experience to gain an MC TC, but having one will surely help your case. Else, what is the point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending