Can a 17 year old become a private tutor - and what should I charge?

Watch
Caitlynann2002
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I am 17 years old and I am thinking of doing some tutoring to save up some money ready for university. In my GCSEs I got 10 A*s ( seven 9s and three 8s) in the following subjects: Maths, English lit, English language, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Geography, R.E., Business studies and Fine art. After my GCSEs I did a year of IB in which I was predicted 45/45 points (7/7 in each of the following subjects: English lit HL, Biology HL, Psychology HL, Chemistry SL, Maths SL and Spanish ab initio). I am now transferring to A levels so I can study: Maths, Further maths, English lit and Biology. I was thinking of tutoring for GCSEs, functional skills (I have done tutoring for this before - for free) and SATS and maybe 1st year IB students. Would I be able to do this or would it be unrealistic as I do not have aby teaching qualifications. Am I allowed to just start this idea or do I have to declare something to someone (like the government or something). I have a bunch of revision materials for GCSEs including flashcards, summary sheets and techniques etc... If I were to carry out this idea how much would I charge as I am not a qualified teacher. I was thinking of charging maybe £4-£5 an hour (is this too much?). Also how would I advertise my services. I was thinking that I could tutor in two ways: online tutoring using video calling/ skype and 'in-person-tutoring' for people who live near by - I could go to their homes or they could go to mine. I have done free tutoring in the past for my CAS hours for IB, I have tutored 2 people in their maths and English functional skills exams (online), 1 student for her Maths H tier GCSE exam (in person) and 2 students for their foundation maths and English language GCSE retake exams (in person) - so I have a little experience. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Last edited by Caitlynann2002; 1 year ago
Subhaan1231
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lol for the grades you got I £4-5 is way to less tutors charge at least 4 times that amount some even more
Caitlynann2002
Rep:
?
oh okay thanks for the feedback - how much would you suggest? I was thinking I would do the first hour free and then charge after that. I was thinking that since I haven't got any proper qualifications that I couldn't charge too much.
(Original post by Subhaan1231)
Lol for the grades you got I £4-5 is way to less tutors charge at least 4 times that amount some even more
KetF
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I would charge a lot more (£15-£20) and the fact you have no qualification does not seem to matter as you obviously are very good at technique in terms of passing exams. Kids may relate better to you too, start with a trial with 1 student and see how you get on. Good luck!
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Caitlynann2002)
oh okay thanks for the feedback - how much would you suggest? I was thinking I would do the first hour free and then charge after that. I was thinking that since I haven't got any proper qualifications that I couldn't charge too much.
I'm in the process of becoming one and most websites have suggested 15-20 an hour. I wouldn't do it for free- if the person doesn't like you then you will have earned nothing for the time you spent teaching and showing resources
Caitlynann2002
Rep:
?
Hi, thankyou for the feedback, okay I was just worried that parents would be reluctant to pay for a 17-year-old tutor so maybe if I charged less I might have a better chance of getting people who are interested.
(Original post by KetF)
Hi, I would charge a lot more (£15-£20) and the fact you have no qualification does not seem to matter as you obviously are very good at technique in terms of passing exams. Kids may relate better to you too, start with a trial with 1 student and see how you get on. Good luck!
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I wouldn't pay an A-Level student more than £10, personally. Most people tutoring are much older and much more experienced and I would rather pay more and get the benefit of that experience.
Caitlynann2002
Rep:
?
Thankyou for the feedback - this is what I was thinking because I am technically a child myself so I can't imagine parents would feel as confident in me tutoring their child than an adult and therefore, I should probably charge less in order to make my services more appealing.
(Original post by black tea)
I wouldn't pay an A-Level student more than £10, personally. Most people tutoring are much older and much more experienced and I would rather pay more and get the benefit of that experience.
Subhaan1231
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Okay ye ur young but the grades you have show that you know how to revise and what your doing is obviously right so Id say start with £10 then if you get more people wanting you increase it
(Original post by Caitlynann2002)
Thankyou for the feedback - this is what I was thinking because I am technically a child myself so I can't imagine parents would feel as confident in me tutoring their child than an adult and therefore, I should probably charge less in order to make my services more appealing.
jennawaggitt
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm also 17 and do lots of tutoring for primary children, I charge £10 for half an hour and £15 for an hour. Still much less than a normal tutor so parents will decide whats best for them, the lack of experience is reflected in the price. If you're doing GCSE standard I would go higher to about £20 an hour as it's much more work for you.
GetGradenines
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How much do you make a week or a month on average?
(Original post by jennawaggitt)
I'm also 17 and do lots of tutoring for primary children, I charge £10 for half an hour and £15 for an hour. Still much less than a normal tutor so parents will decide whats best for them, the lack of experience is reflected in the price. If you're doing GCSE standard I would go higher to about £20 an hour as it's much more work for you.
Caitlynann2002
Rep:
?
How would you advertise it? I have made a Facebook page and shared it over 12 different Facebook buy and sell sites in the area that I live. Another reason I was thinking if keeping the price quite low (I was thinking of £7 an hour) is because I live in Taunton in somerset. so I don't live in a big city or anything so there is less demand. I know I kind of started at a bad time considering exams have just finished but I have only had one 'client' (but his step mum is friends with my mum so I don't think it was because of my advertisement). I'm going to be tutoring them for GCSE maths, English lit and language, physics, bio, Chemistry and geography for 6 hours a fortnight which is quite good. But I don't think my advertising is very effective (but again it might just be the time of year) do you have any advice on how to advertise tutoring services when u are a teen yourself (as you can't do it with online tutoring companies).
ech133
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I live in Taunton too! You should definitely do it because it would be a good way of earning money and it’s a good thing to put on your CV
Caitlynann2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by ech133)
I live in Taunton too! You should definitely do it because it would be a good way of earning money and it’s a good thing to put on your CV
hey thanks for your reply. Yeah I have started, like I made a page and a.whole advertisement thingy which I have posted on all of the buy and sell sites and stuff but I am finding it hard to find any takers. I've only been able to find 1 person (they want me to do 6 hours a fortnight so that's quite a bit I guess), but they knew my.family first hand. My main concern is that many people are unwilling to hire a 17 year old to tutor their kids.
Caitlynann2002
Rep:
?
also are you in sixth form?
itzme_02
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jennawaggitt)
Hi, I'm 17 years old/ currently in year 13 and I'm planning to tutor GCSE Maths and GCSE Science, or KS3 during my gap year next year. I just wanted to ask how do you tutor?
Keval02
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I have my own tutoring business and am looking for a tutor. Please contact me if you are interested
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (386)
56.76%
I don't have everything I need (294)
43.24%

Watched Threads