The Student Room Group

AQA German A-level June 5 2019

Scroll to see replies

i found the english to german translation quite challenging, as well as the listening actually - they set up lots of 'traps' to catch listeners out (and im a native)
Original post by ellapap
The exam really was bad. I wasn't expecting it to be this hard at all, especially the translations:s-smilie:
It's reassuring to know everyone has found it awful, hopefully grade boundaries won't be too bad
lust und laune is more like "whenever they felt like it" its kind of german slang
Original post by hannah300501
Wtf is they only shared a bed for lust und Laune - i put they only share a bed when they want sex ?!?!
Reply 42
If you found it hard as a native then there's no hope for the rest of us! 😂😭
Original post by poopieface
i found the english to german translation quite challenging, as well as the listening actually - they set up lots of 'traps' to catch listeners out (and im a native)
Original post by georgee8
Did other people in your class also find it difficult? I thought it was so hard but the other people I took the exam with found it fine? 3

well they said the translations were awful, but i found them alright. one person said he didn’t finish. the others said that they understood the questions and content but don’t think their answers are right.
Original post by bhyp
omg i am so glad people are on the same page i am so screwed !!!!!
so who is ready for monday 😂
also does anyone have any tips on how to revise for that exam? which book and film are you guys doing???

Goodbye Lenin and Die Verwandlung 😣
Reply 45
Same! I didn't think anyone else did that combination, do you like them?
Original post by lottiewebbx
we’re doing andorra & das leben der anderen😭 all im gonna do is learn vocab, learn the cases & go over the play / movie again😬 i’m hoping they’ll be nice on monday

Does anyone have any das leben der anderen or der vorleser essay plans they'd be able to share?! Xx
I really like the film but I think the book is kinda dry, hbu?
Reply 49
Yeah I really like them, there’s enough to talk about which is the main thing! I’m starting to worry about tomorrow now - need to pick up some marks 😭
I really like the film but I think the book is kinda dry, hbu?
I really like das Leben der Anderen but I always make really stupid grammar mistakes in this exam no matter how many times I check 😭
Original post by beenax
Yeah I really like them, there’s enough to talk about which is the main thing! I’m starting to worry about tomorrow now - need to pick up some marks 😭
Reply 51
I do das leben der anderen and der besuch der alten dame, i find the book much more easier to talk about then the film, im so scared for tomorrow
this paper is only 20%
Original post by beenax
I really think the exam board should do something about all the natives that make it much harder for the rest of us 😭 especially because that exam was so hard (like what were those translations and the horrid infinitive gap fill 😱) I’m really disappointed as I no longer think I have any chance in getting a B. I’d be grateful if anyone has an unofficial mark scheme - so I can cry some more! 😂

I agree. I grilled aqa about this on twitter but they completely overlooked what I was asking and just gave me a video link as to how they set grade boundaries in general.
Reply 53
I know, frustrating isn't it. Nothing we can do really but try our best and hope for a good outcome! Good luck tomorrow!
Original post by TheRealAshy
I agree. I grilled aqa about this on twitter but they completely overlooked what I was asking and just gave me a video link as to how they set grade boundaries in general.
I need an A too! I have been getting consistan As in those papers and I feel the same way as you, don't worry thought I bet the grade boundaries will be low, it was so much harder than all the past papers, both old and new spec. :smile:
Is anyone doing Goodbye Lenin and Der Vorleser tomorrow?
I'm doing good bye Lenin and die Verwandlung tomorrow, anyone have any tips/predictions? I also agree that paper 1 was horrific and I want to cry tbh
Reply 57
I feel really anxious about German. It used to be my best subject at GCSE, but then the A level has completely knocked my confidence. I am consistent with my homework, vocab and grammar, but still seem to underperform in all the papers I do. I thought it was a subject I loved, and I even applied to do it at university, alongside English. I need AAB, but it seems like I am going to miss the A grade in German. I can't stop thinking about how badly paper 1 went and I hope there are a few others who feel the same way. It such a shame, because I know I enjoy it deep down, and that I am capable of an A, but I guess it just comes down to luck sometimes when doing Paper 1 (i.e. luck with vocab!). Tomorrow I am just going to try my best and pick up marks, but then again it's only 20%..
Original post by oeem
I feel really anxious about German. It used to be my best subject at GCSE, but then the A level has completely knocked my confidence. I am consistent with my homework, vocab and grammar, but still seem to underperform in all the papers I do. I thought it was a subject I loved, and I even applied to do it at university, alongside English. I need AAB, but it seems like I am going to miss the A grade in German. I can't stop thinking about how badly paper 1 went and I hope there are a few others who feel the same way. It such a shame, because I know I enjoy it deep down, and that I am capable of an A, but I guess it just comes down to luck sometimes when doing Paper 1 (i.e. luck with vocab!). Tomorrow I am just going to try my best and pick up marks, but then again it's only 20%..

Same. I feel like I've really improved but it just doesn't show in my grades.... Plus I'm th e only non native speaker in my class so the teachings been horrendous because the teachers aren't used to actually teaching the a level
Reply 59
Yeah agreed. I spent the whole of my year 12 summer in Germany and improved massively on my speaking and range of vocab, yet as soon as I get back to the A level I seem to get B/Cs.
Original post by mistysky06
Same. I feel like I've really improved but it just doesn't show in my grades.... Plus I'm th e only non native speaker in my class so the teachings been horrendous because the teachers aren't used to actually teaching the a level

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending