The Student Room Group

Should I do 1 A-Level or that in addditon to an AS?

So next year I'm applying to Uni in my home country of Egypt and I have chosen my Uni and they require 8 GCSE grades at a minimum of C for all, my GCSE grades are A*BBBCCCC, I actually have three more but they count the highest 8 and don't accept Arabic as a subject for admission consideration, I got a C in Arabic but they don't count it so that's irrelevant, the other two grades are in French and Psychology and for French I got a U and Psychology an E.

They give preference to people who do Advanced Level or Advanced Supplementary level subjects so I was wondering if I should do 1 A-Level or that in addition to an AS, they accept a minimum of Grade D for Advanced Level and a minimum of Grade C for Advanced Supplementary Level.

I have 1 year to do this and I am going to apply soon so please let me know, much appreciated.
Original post by Satan.
So next year I'm applying to Uni in my home country of Egypt and I have chosen my Uni and they require 8 GCSE grades at a minimum of C for all, my GCSE grades are A*BBBCCCC, I actually have three more but they count the highest 8 and don't accept Arabic as a subject for admission consideration, I got a C in Arabic but they don't count it so that's irrelevant, the other two grades are in French and Psychology and for French I got a U and Psychology an E.

They give preference to people who do Advanced Level or Advanced Supplementary level subjects so I was wondering if I should do 1 A-Level or that in addition to an AS, they accept a minimum of Grade D for Advanced Level and a minimum of Grade C for Advanced Supplementary Level.

I have 1 year to do this and I am going to apply soon so please let me know, much appreciated.

if they require just a C in as then i'd do that in a subject you'd do well in.
Reply 2
Fahemni 3ayez ta3mel eh w tedres feen
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
if they require just a C in as then i'd do that in a subject you'd do well in.

Yh of course but I was wondering if I should also do an AS, would that be too much especially considering I'll be self studying.
Reply 4
Original post by Omar964
Fahemni 3ayez ta3mel eh w tedres feen

AUC, might double major in IMC and Philosophy but not sure yet, for majors those two are the options.

So I'll be doing a BA not a BSc or anything else.
Reply 5
Original post by Satan.
AUC, might double major in IMC and Philosophy but not sure yet, for majors those two are the options.

So I'll be doing a BA not a BSc or anything else.

You need to resit a few GCSEs at least the ones with Cs or take up new subjects since AUC is very very competitive and some people I know who apply have at least 2-4A*. I think they accept Arabic A-level which I’ve heard is a walk in the park. If so do IAL Arabic and another A-Level. AUC is pretty good but look at other options such as Coventry/U Of Canada or if you’ve got the funds for AUC try applying abroad *if you want to*
Reply 6
Original post by Omar964
You need to resit a few GCSEs at least the ones with Cs or take up new subjects since AUC is very very competitive and some people I know who apply have at least 2-4A*. I think they accept Arabic A-level which I’ve heard is a walk in the park. If so do IAL Arabic and another A-Level. AUC is pretty good but look at other options such as Coventry/U Of Canada or if you’ve got the funds for AUC try applying abroad *if you want to*

I won't be resitting anything, not the time or interest in doing so, AUC had an acceptance rate of 54% in the fall of 2017 and who knows the offer rate based on that percentage, Arabic is not my strong point at all, I'll definitely be doing Philosophy A-Level but I was thinking of doing an AS as well to bump up my chances.

Which other Unis in Cairo offer marketing and/or philosophy?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Satan.
I won't be resitting anything, not the time or interest in doing so, AUC has an acceptance rate of 33% an who knows the offer rate based on that percentage, Arabic is not my strong point at all, I'll definitely be doing Philosophy A-Level but I was thinking of doing an AS as well to bump up my chances.

Which other Unis in Cairo offer marketing and/or philosophy?

Check the GUC which is probably the next best option but against the AUC I would not advise it at all. Check at Coventry and U of Canada.
Reply 8
Original post by Omar964
Check the GUC which is probably the next best option but against the AUC I would not advise it at all. Check at Coventry and U of Canada.

My choice is AUC, money isn't an issue, the acceptance rate is over 50% so it's clearly not competitive, the only reason I can see it being ranked the best in Egypt is because of how expensive it is, not the requirements, places like Princeton in the US have an acceptance rate of 6%, that you can call extremely competitive, over 50%? No.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending