The Student Room Group

AQA Pure Mathematics A Level Unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tostiw
Where does it say that?

Sourced that info from my teacher, and it's also pretty logical. Obviously the grade boundaries will be lower for a cohort sitting an exam of similar difficulty when the cohort isn't entirely made up of further Maths geniuses doing an A level in one year, many of whom probably scored upwards of 80%+.
Reply 61
Yeah again it's just practice, if you've got a good textbook to work from then you should just do the chapters in there. If not you've always got PhysicsMathsTutor and loads of other online resources.
Differentiation and integration do take a long time to master, and alot of the skill actually just comes from recognizing, then mixing and matching methods/ subbing values.
If you learn to recognise how formulas work, and know how stuff differentiates and integrates, you should be fine.
You could make a cheat sheet, that has all the integration and differentiation formulae, AND the products of differentiating certain values (e.g. e^2x > 2e^2x). This will make it easier and quicker for when you go through questions, as you'll have everything you need right next to you.
Good luck!
Original post by Ninja8004
I love mechanics , stats but core I always get stuck on the harder 10 markers and further differentiation and integration I lowkey think I scored around 40 marks on paper 1 but idk if grade boundaries will be low do I still have a shot at a B/A ? If i get Distinction* BB I still get into my uni of choice but today has made me feel bad.
Yp
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 63
n=500 for which question?

Original post by Josiahbrenchley
Yp
Is it just me that doesn't like statistics? would rather have some more pure than statistics
Original post by unagdi
for point of intersection why did i get 2 sets of coordinates :*((

One of them was 0 but that couldn’t be possible because it would involve dividing by 0.... I think
Reply 66
Page 2, comment #23. It's in the list
Original post by unagdi
n=500 for which question?
That can't be right, the inverse function was root (2x - 1) which is invalid is x = 0. (1,1) was the answer.
Original post by LucyClipp
One of them was 0 but that couldn’t be possible because it would involve dividing by 0.... I think
Oh I was talking about the other one, sorry, with 2/3 as the answer. I got (1,1) for that one though.
Original post by TAEuler
That can't be right, the inverse function was root (2x - 1) which is invalid is x = 0. (1,1) was the answer.
I doubt it will be again, theres a maths tutor who is an examiner who predicts they'll creep back up

Original post by Burtycat
Last year was 56% for an A for Paper 1
Original post by Jackudy3
AQA have said themselves that the boundaries will be lower this year as a less able cohort (ie not all further maths geniuses who have rushed through a qualification in one year) is sitting.

is there a source on this?
Type in Ofqual a level maths on google
Original post by RainbowNebula
is there a source on this?
Original post by Ttxxkingxxtt
Follow up question about dY/dX asked about the integral of e^-X(sinx) and how to represent it as ae^-X(cosx+sinx) i got a=-1/2

same
Hi can someone please help me with which topic came up on today’s paper so I can deduce which topic I will need to revise for the other
These are some of the topics I’ve recalled
Differentiation by substitution
Area of sector
Sequences and series
Graphs translation
Proof of rational and irrational numbers
Trigonometry equation
First principles
Coordinate geometry- perpendicular line
Rates of change parametric
Iteration
Cob web diagram
Trapezium rule

Thankyou for your help
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 74
I got -2
Original post by lklatsias
same
Reply 75
Original post by Jackudy3
Sourced that info from my teacher, and it's also pretty logical. Obviously the grade boundaries will be lower for a cohort sitting an exam of similar difficulty when the cohort isn't entirely made up of further Maths geniuses doing an A level in one year, many of whom probably scored upwards of 80%+.

Just remember that although last year was only further maths students, they learnt the whole course in 1 year and probably had no revision time.
They’re also all very able. Think about all the dribbles that did it yesterday. Grade boundaries will shift down slightly but not by much
Original post by tostiw
Just remember that although last year was only further maths students, they learnt the whole course in 1 year and probably had no revision time.
Reply 77
Original post by Edexcel Are mugs
They’re also all very able. Think about all the dribbles that did it yesterday. Grade boundaries will shift down slightly but not by much

What you thinking ? 50 for an A?
Reply 78
I didn't know only further maths people did this exam last year. Did all the single maths A level candidates do an old specification then?
Original post by tostiw
What you thinking ? 50 for an A?

Original post by Edexcel Are mugs
Did you use a textbook for paper 1? If so, do you know of any which are good for paper 2 and 3?
Original post by IC3112
Yeah again it's just practice, if you've got a good textbook to work from then you should just do the chapters in there. If not you've always got PhysicsMathsTutor and loads of other online resources.
Differentiation and integration do take a long time to master, and alot of the skill actually just comes from recognizing, then mixing and matching methods/ subbing values.
If you learn to recognise how formulas work, and know how stuff differentiates and integrates, you should be fine.
You could make a cheat sheet, that has all the integration and differentiation formulae, AND the products of differentiating certain values (e.g. e^2x > 2e^2x). This will make it easier and quicker for when you go through questions, as you'll have everything you need right next to you.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending