Calls for a 'Straight Pride Parade' cause stir Watch

Kinyonga
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-48527248

What do you think about this? Should there be a straight pride event? Why, why not?
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's kinda unnecessary and would likely contain a lot of homophobia but sure, why not, lol. :dontknow:
JoshDarnIt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If LGBTQ people can have pride parades then why can't straight people? It's only fair.
username4573738
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
what’s the point lol
tanteseo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Straight people already show up at gay pride so
Besides there's no reason for straight pride, the foundation that gay pride was built on was due to stonewall, straight people never had to deal with being classed as illegal
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It sounds pathetic - straight people don't need a pride parade since we have never been discriminated against due to our sexuality :rolleyes:
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
that made me laugh. :lol:
(Original post by tanteseo)
Straight people already show up at gay pride so
Neilos
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wouldn't go to one myself but if someone wants to have one, I wouldn't try to stop them.
TS33
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kinyonga)

What do you think about this? Should there be a straight pride event? Why, why not?
Yes certainly though I wouldn't go to any parade. It's just to show that we heterosexuals can also exercise our rights
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If straight people want to have pride then why not but I would wonder what the point is
Alexty28
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Like yeah its pointless, doesn't mean it should be stopped from happening. But if you believe in equality, then you being pissed off at this just makes you a pc hypocrite like the rest of the sheep.
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Exercise your rights for what? The world is already catered and set up for straight people. Straight people can get married in every country in the world with no issues. There is no country in the world where being straight is punishable by death or imprisonment. Nobody has ever been disowned by their family for coming out as straight. Straight people have never experienced discrimination as a result of their sexuality, modern or historically
(Original post by TS33)
Yes certainly though I wouldn't go to any parade. It's just to show that we heterosexuals can also exercise our rights
lozzabsut
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As Pride is a celebration of all sexualities no matter what it would be pointless to have a festival for straight people as we could celebrate as part of that and should be inclusive and supportive of the LGBTQ+ community, straight people are not the minority and not the ones who are regularly discriminated. It would be a defensive approach just like the "all lives matter" situation which was people being defensive against the black lives matter movement which was taking away the meaning of it as the black community were the ones facing discrimination.
username4706050
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Pride isnt about being proud of being LGBTQ, but about being proud of being yourself even if that is difficult. By this logic, straight pride wouldnt make sense. You're not proud of being straight, but you dont have to be yourself in the face of adversity because straight people dont face the troubles LGBTQ people do. I've never seen pride as being proud of your sexuality, more as being proud of the courage it takes to be yourself when people dont approve. Which doesnt affect straight people.
forgotten_one
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, it is not. Straight people never had to deal with the death penalty for their sexuality.
(Original post by JoshDarnIt)
If LGBTQ people can have pride parades then why can't straight people? It's only fair.
Last edited by forgotten_one; 1 month ago
JoshDarnIt
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by forgotten_one)
Not it is not. Straight people never had to deal with the death penalty for their sexuality.
I never read what was on the link tbf so I shouldn't have really commented. Plus I didn't come in here to argue. Mistake on my part.
Athenaxx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The whole notion of "straight pride" is completely and utterly idiotic. Straight people have been the majority in society for centuries. LGBT+ people and other minority groups have had to undergo and endure profound atrocities and discrimination. PRIDE is about celebrating but also remembering the past and what LGBT+ people have to go through and STILL GO THROUGH. Have straight cis people ever been discriminated based on their sexual orientation or gender identity? NO! So do they need straight pride? NO!!
"Straight Pride" is just a mechanism to invalidate the LGBT community's struggles by the majority.
sachinihimara
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
only if Ari is performing :')
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Yes. For true equality, then we should have a straight parade.
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

So stupid. But if they wanna have one, let them. Like who is even stopping straight people from organising one?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.31%
No I am happy with my course choice (357)
56.31%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.67%

Watched Threads