The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's kinda unnecessary and would likely contain a lot of homophobia but sure, why not, lol. :dontknow:
If LGBTQ people can have pride parades then why can't straight people? It's only fair.
Straight people already show up at gay pride so :s-smilie:
Besides there's no reason for straight pride, the foundation that gay pride was built on was due to stonewall, straight people never had to deal with being classed as illegal
It sounds pathetic - straight people don't need a pride parade since we have never been discriminated against due to our sexuality :rolleyes:
that made me laugh. :lol:
Original post by tanteseo
Straight people already show up at gay pride so :s-smilie:
Reply 6
I wouldn't go to one myself but if someone wants to have one, I wouldn't try to stop them.
Original post by Kinyonga
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-48527248

What do you think about this? Should there be a straight pride event? Why, why not?

Yes certainly though I wouldn't go to any parade. It's just to show that we heterosexuals can also exercise our rights
If straight people want to have pride then why not but I would wonder what the point is
Like yeah its pointless, doesn't mean it should be stopped from happening. But if you believe in equality, then you being pissed off at this just makes you a pc hypocrite like the rest of the sheep.
Exercise your rights for what? The world is already catered and set up for straight people. Straight people can get married in every country in the world with no issues. There is no country in the world where being straight is punishable by death or imprisonment. Nobody has ever been disowned by their family for coming out as straight. Straight people have never experienced discrimination as a result of their sexuality, modern or historically
Original post by TS33
Yes certainly though I wouldn't go to any parade. It's just to show that we heterosexuals can also exercise our rights
As Pride is a celebration of all sexualities no matter what it would be pointless to have a festival for straight people as we could celebrate as part of that and should be inclusive and supportive of the LGBTQ+ community, straight people are not the minority and not the ones who are regularly discriminated. It would be a defensive approach just like the "all lives matter" situation which was people being defensive against the black lives matter movement which was taking away the meaning of it as the black community were the ones facing discrimination.
No. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Pride isnt about being proud of being LGBTQ, but about being proud of being yourself even if that is difficult. By this logic, straight pride wouldnt make sense. You're not proud of being straight, but you dont have to be yourself in the face of adversity because straight people dont face the troubles LGBTQ people do. I've never seen pride as being proud of your sexuality, more as being proud of the courage it takes to be yourself when people dont approve. Which doesnt affect straight people.
No, it is not. Straight people never had to deal with the death penalty for their sexuality.
Original post by JoshDarnIt
If LGBTQ people can have pride parades then why can't straight people? It's only fair.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by forgotten_one
Not it is not. Straight people never had to deal with the death penalty for their sexuality.

I never read what was on the link tbf so I shouldn't have really commented. Plus I didn't come in here to argue. Mistake on my part.
The whole notion of "straight pride" is completely and utterly idiotic. Straight people have been the majority in society for centuries. LGBT+ people and other minority groups have had to undergo and endure profound atrocities and discrimination. PRIDE is about celebrating but also remembering the past and what LGBT+ people have to go through and STILL GO THROUGH. Have straight cis people ever been discriminated based on their sexual orientation or gender identity? NO! So do they need straight pride? NO!!
"Straight Pride" is just a mechanism to invalidate the LGBT community's struggles by the majority.
only if Ari is performing :')

What do you think about this? Should there be a straight pride event? Why, why not?

Yes. For true equality, then we should have a straight parade.
Reply 18

So stupid. But if they wanna have one, let them. Like who is even stopping straight people from organising one?
Original post by Ciel.
So stupid. But if they wanna have one, let them. Like who is even stopping straight people from organising one?

I think the risk of being called homophobic. Black people have Black History Month, Jews have Holocaust Memorial Month, Asians have different days. However, when some white people wanted to have a White History Month, it was called racist.

Latest