This discussion is closed.
TomDoughens
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Oofffffff)
What questions did y’all have for the essay (for prose) ??
I haven't done the textual analysis or critical essay yet. I'm desperate to know the answer to this question too because my prelim is tomorrow.
Voaly
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I just did the prelim on Tuesday, the essay question for me was alright, the 8 marker question was really easy compared to the past papers I did before the exam, and the close reading paper about Peppa Pig felt easy as well, I just hope I didn't mess up on it completely haha
TomDoughens
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Voaly)
I just did the prelim on Tuesday, the essay question for me was alright, the 8 marker question was really easy compared to the past papers I did before the exam, and the close reading paper about Peppa Pig felt easy as well, I just hope I didn't mess up on it completely haha
Did you do tallys blood? If so, what was the final question about? Also, what were the two questions for the poem section of the critical essay. I gotta know bro
Oofffffff
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TomDoughens)
I haven't done the textual analysis or critical essay yet. I'm desperate to know the answer to this question too because my prelim is tomorrow.
Let me know tomorrow pls if it’s about themes or characters!
Oofffffff
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Voaly)
What were the 2 questions for the essay? (For prose)
Oofffffff
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Pls someone answer me ASAP in the next 24hrs
TomDoughens
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Pls someone answer me ASAP in the next 24hrs
sorry bro one was on human experience and the other how it had an emotional effect on you. I chose the emotional effect one and did okay. good luck bro and also you're welcome because no one helped me xD
Last edited by TomDoughens; 1 year ago
Oofffffff
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TomDoughens)
sorry bro one was on human experience and the other how it had an emotional effect on you. I chose the emotional effect one and did okay. good luck bro and also you're welcome because no one helped me xD
I’m doing prose (which is a novel or a short story) not the poems so I think I will have diff questions
Oofffffff
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by StudentForSQA)
Omg u did the same prelim I did. It was named ‘the billion dollar pig’ had a quite which talked about making an episode for a hairdresser but peppa bald! And mentioned Ben and Holly’s little kingdom and it mentioned how some were critical about peppa pig through use of word choice ‘sexism’.
Was that the one by the Sunday times new magazine ??
mspratt1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m doing TKAM for my English exam this year, any pointers?
mspratt1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What questions did y’all have for the essay (for prose) ??
I had a character you feel sympathy for or a key event that causes tension.
nataliemackayy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Voaly)
What was the topic of the 8 marker?
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A wee bit advice for prelims- as tempting as it is, don't try to ask for or find out what the questions for your text are...You won't have any hints for the real exam, so best to find out now what type of mark you'll get on an unknown question now, so you can then tailor your revision for the real exam accordingly. I know English is usually one that causes a lot of stress (I can relate- I dreaded it!) but remember the prelim has no bearing on your final grade, so you're as well using it to learn as much about where you're at as you can. Good luck everyone
jamesg2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good advice from Labrador99.

My advice is know your text thoroughly. By that I mean read the text re-read the text and re-read the text. From your numerous readings create your own notes. The better you know your text the more able you are to apply that knowledge to the unexpected question.
If it is the mini-essay question - there is no way of guessing it. Preparation, Preparation is what you need to concentrate on.
Remember in the critical essay question - unlike Poetry - there will always be a character question for drama and prose. You just won't know what the point of the question is.

The text is King. If you really know your text you will be ok.
StudentForSQA
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nataliemackayy)
What was the topic of the 8 marker?
Aunt Julia was the given poem.
Oofffffff
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jamesg2)
Good advice from Labrador99.

My advice is know your text thoroughly. By that I mean read the text re-read the text and re-read the text. From your numerous readings create your own notes. The better you know your text the more able you are to apply that knowledge to the unexpected question.
If it is the mini-essay question - there is no way of guessing it. Preparation, Preparation is what you need to concentrate on.
Remember in the critical essay question - unlike Poetry - there will always be a character question for drama and prose. You just won't know what the point of the question is.

The text is King. If you really know your text you will be ok.
I agree! For the essay if u are doing prose, since the question will always be about character (most of the questions are pretty similar like who interests you/who u find fascinating/who u feel sympathy for, and if u are lucky enough one of the main characters might fit in all of those categories so just learn a lot about a character u feel confident writing an essay about! so for the final exam I will probs write out about 2-4 diff essays and memorise them! For set text I’m just writing a lot of notes! But for the close reading paper I’m most scared about, I understand all the question types however the problem I have is a lot of time in the passages there’s a lot of fancy words used that I don’t understand, so any tips/advice anyone can give? How could I revise/prepare for it?
absmcgill
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lilyeve1)
Hello, I am about to write my personal/creative portfolio piece and I don't know what to do it on. Any ideas?
Anything that has happened in your life that has had an effect on you. It could be falling out with a friend, meeting someone who had a big impact on you, or if someone passed away.
cahctus
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi! For the discursive (persuasive) essay, does the title and bibliography count towards the word count? I’m guessing that the title counts but I’m not too sure if the websites I used do
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cahctus)
Hi! For the discursive (persuasive) essay, does the title and bibliography count towards the word count? I’m guessing that the title counts but I’m not too sure if the websites I used do
Neither count towards the word limit
cahctus
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
thanks!

(Original post by Labrador99)
Neither count towards the word limit
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (297)
57.45%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (72)
13.93%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (58)
11.22%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (44)
8.51%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
5.03%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.87%

Watched Threads