The Student Room Group

AQA English Language Paper 2 Question 2 Exemplar Answer

Hi guys, I've seen people post their exam attempts so I thought I'd reach out. I know nobody here is an examiner, just looking for some second opinions on a mark for my answer.

Question:
You need to refer to Source A and Source B for this question.
Both Sources give details about the places where the events occur.
Use details from both Sources to write a summary of the differences between Aberfan
and London. [8 marks]

Answer:
There are similar things about London and Aberfan, but they have a different emphasis. For example, in source A, Aberfan is described as something that is barely known, with the ‘anonymous terraced houses’ emphasising the power of the disaster. The disaster was so popular that it was the only thing that brought the town any attention. However, in source B, London is clearly much more well known and important, as it is described as a ‘colossal city.’ This size of London implies that a minor earthquake would not do as much damage as it would to a small village.

Secondly, the most significant fact is that in source A, the environment is not established or thriving. The ‘exhausting industry’ and the ‘disused canal’ implies that the economy is failing, and that not many people have jobs in the industry. This could be what has contributed to making their lives ‘traditionally grim.’ On the other hand, in source B workers in London are forced to work in bad conditions, ‘scarcely seeing their own hands,’ resulting in the ‘meaning of their labour’ being unknown. Perhaps, this could mean that in order to live in such a busy city, people are forced to work manual labour to earn enough money to survive, and thus benefiting the economy and as a result, the people are unhappy, but are ‘accustomed’ to it.

I wrote it in about 15 minutes - approximately what mark would I get, and what could I do to improve?

sources: https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/7403/DHotJT.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/5074/NYLR7R.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending