The Student Room Group

What should I tell about my ethnicity?

Hello,

Universities ask this strange question when one applies.
The problem is, I'm not exactly sure what to tell them, because technically I'm a bit like White-Asian, but it's a small mix, as one of my great-grandmothers was Asian, but then it's not much of a mix, you can hardly tell I have a little bit Asian eyes, and I don't have any documentation but family photos that would confirm this ancestry.

So I guess I should tell them I'm White?
They don't use this data in the application process so u could put you were blue if you wanted to
It really doesn't matter. It's not going to affect you personally in any way - it's just so the university have statistics that they can use for equalities monitoring.
Reply 3
hi
You could always just tick the box that says you don't want to disclose your ethnicity
Hi
Original post by SUFIAN36
hi
You can really tell them whatever you like; it's only for statistical purposes. I for one am not so keen on these surveys, and most often tick the "information refused" box.

Your initial "what am I?" question only highlights the fact that race and ethnicity are ephemeral notions rather than absolute human attributes.
Reply 7
Original post by 学生の父

Your initial "what am I?" question only highlights the fact that race and ethnicity are ephemeral notions rather than absolute human attributes.

I agree I was just concerned because I wanted to deliver accurate answers, and bothered if this might affect my application somehow, by means if they might deny me just because out of two applicants with equal qualifications, I'm more common ethnicity or sth.

I guess I'll put White-Asian then, I like my Tatar genes.:h:
(edited 4 years ago)
I would just put whichever ethnicity you most closely identify with. As above, it doesn't make any difference to your application and in most cases isn't even visible during their assessment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending