The Student Room Group

Ex young carers, how do you learn to move on?

I've had to care for my mother who was an alcoholic for the majority of my school life (from primary school all the way to college). For so long that it gave her very serious health conditions throughout the years.

I've just been accepted to university for the second time (the first time I left uni to help out again because it gave her cancer), and I've been home since. I'm going to university in September after years of it just being us at home, (she has been sober for a few years now) after my sisters have moved on to higher education.

She is now kind of guilt-tripping me about the fact I will be leaving her on her own and trying to make me second guess my decision to go. I feel so awful that she will have noone and I don't know how to move on from the feeling that she is my responsibility still.
I'm worried she might relapse, either 'accidentally' out of depression or on purpose to try and get me to come back again.

I was wondering if there were any other young carers who have gone through similar and how you dealt with this? The friends I have spoken to, while I appreciate their advice, tend to come from the standpoint of a 'normal' background so it's often hard for them to understand the feelings behind it.
Original post by Anonymous
I've had to care for my mother who was an alcoholic for the majority of my school life (from primary school all the way to college). For so long that it gave her very serious health conditions throughout the years.

I've just been accepted to university for the second time (the first time I left uni to help out again because it gave her cancer), and I've been home since. I'm going to university in September after years of it just being us at home, (she has been sober for a few years now) after my sisters have moved on to higher education.

She is now kind of guilt-tripping me about the fact I will be leaving her on her own and trying to make me second guess my decision to go. I feel so awful that she will have noone and I don't know how to move on from the feeling that she is my responsibility still.
I'm worried she might relapse, either 'accidentally' out of depression or on purpose to try and get me to come back again.

I was wondering if there were any other young carers who have gone through similar and how you dealt with this? The friends I have spoken to, while I appreciate their advice, tend to come from the standpoint of a 'normal' background so it's often hard for them to understand the feelings behind it.

That sounds like an incredibly difficult situation. I imagine it must be very worrying to think your mum might relapse while you're away.

Does your mum have other people who could look after or keep an eye on her while you're away?

It also sounds like you might benefit from getting some additional support yourself, is there a local carer group where you'll be at uni? You could also consider speaking to the university counselling service too if you feel you'd benefit from that.

Realistically you do need to move on with your life and ensure you have the qualifications/job you need to support yourself, and ultimately you can't be responsible for her wellbeing.
Reply 2
Unfortunately there isn't any extra help available for her or anyone to keep her company even, no.

Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending