The Student Room Group

The mum that steals

My mums living at my nans house with me as per usual she has nowhere to live, throughout her life she's lived with a handful of people and it always ends up in them always being in the wrong, she's always right and is always the victim and can't do any bad. But as we're family we can't exactly say no to her living at home.

Since living at home she's made no effort to try and get a flat off the council, she has no job and spends her time either sleeping or going out at late hours and coming back at six in the morning, this is something she does every night of the month.

Whilst she's been here money has gone missing, we both know it's her and when we've asked her about it she screams and plays the nobody trusts me act and will storm out. I've had to share a bank account with her as her own account is in a mess, this was a huge mistake and I was pressured into it by my nan, I didn't want to share my account with her but I've had to.

As you can guess where this is going, my account is now also in a mess with debt, this is something my mum blames on me despite the fact I've never had any issues with debt until she started using my account, not to mention her own account is in a mess but she ignores these facts and plays the poor innocent victim like she does with everything.

My nans birthday is coming up tomorrow and as I'm so financially in debt, thanks to my trampy mum I can't afford to get a card, let alone a present. I'm going to get shouted at over this and my family won't look over the points to why I can't afford anything and I think it's unfair. And of course the tramps pay day falls today so she's alright, she can get a present etc. All in all my sisters robbed money from the house, from me, got my account in debt and I'm going to look like the bad one.

I'm sick of my family, think I should move out to be honest, even if it's sofa surfing.
Move out
Reply 2
I see 4 options long term:

You could talk to your nan and try to get this sorted with her help.
You could leave home, change your bank details and try to move past this as best you can.
You could try to take legal action against your mum (which might be hard considering you did willingly give her your account info. I'm not sure how that would go).
You could just live with this and keep being treated like a doormat.
Whatever you decide to do, you need to stop sharing bank accounts with her immediately. It doesn't matter whether she's family or not, you need to protect your money as much as you can cause if you're continually in debt then it's only going to reflect badly on you in the future even if it wan't your fault. Clearly your mum has some issues and I'm not saying you can't support her, but you need to put yourself first.
move out, save your money because it's your future
Reply 5
Original post by RossJames966
I've had to share a bank account with her as her own account is in a mess, this was a huge mistake and I was pressured into it by my nan, I didn't want to share my account with her but I've had to.

Sharing a bank account has to stop. If your mum can't manage her money properly that's not a reason for you to suffer the knock-on consequences.

Also, bear in mind that your bank are also not going to be happy if they find out what's going on. The only way this setup will be acceptable to a bank is if the account is in joint names -- but even then, a bank will consider you "jointly and severally liable" for any debts (which means they can pursue either or both of you for the full amount owing).

The problem you're going to have is that it's going to be difficult to close an account if it's overdrawn, so you'll need to find the money to clear the overdraft, or find an account that will allow you to transfer the overdraft.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending