The Student Room Group

Espresso question for Baristas

I have some general questions about making espresso and was wondering if you could answer some.

I have heard a lot about how most cafes using double shots to make their espresso and espresso based drinks because of the shape of most single baskets which means extraction of espresso is not always consistent. Even if a customer asks for a single shot, a double basket would be used to extract a double shot but the double shot is halved by placing two cups and espresso is brewed using a double sprout, so one shot is usually wasted. What would you suggest?
A naked portfafilter is sometimes used for a better extraction, would you suggest using a naked one as opposed to one with sprouts?
In terms of brewing ratios, I have heard that 1:2 is usually what to aim for. So assuming I will use double shots for my espresso based drinks and therefore add around 20 grams of coffee to the double basket, I should yield 40 grams of liquid espresso (which should take around 25 seconds to brew).

Plus any other tips to really impress people with my coffee ( this is for a cafe)

Thank you.
Reply 1
I make coffee at home. I have a coffee machine. Buy grain medium roast. I like coffee with milk more.

Quick Reply

Latest