HELP I'm doing A level science exams while depressed

Watch
aps123
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
It's honestly a huge wave of educational depression over me. I do maths,biology and chemistry, and I feel like that my first set of exams didn't go so well. They were all back to back and everyone else had positive feedback for biology and maths but I didn't. In biology, I did't study any of the stats tests for the questions and I felt so bad-would it still be useful to revise them again just in case they come up in the other exams? I'm worried that since I missed out a few( actually alot) maths questions and biology and chemistry questions (alot) that I'm going to fail, I literally had one of those nightmares at night where I got my results sheet at school opened it and saw 3 Cs and then I think I fainted out of shock. I need a BBC to do the degree I need to do.
Does anyone here have any advice for me, if any. Any methods on keeping calm before the exam because I usually look at the people who get good grades in the exam and feel bad about myself., right before the exam actually which sucks. Also since everybody did really well, I feel like I need to get really high marks like 90 percent to get a B overall in my next set of exams.
Also any tips on what I can do to review biology, maths,chemistry on the day before each exam, if you have experience in these subjects.
Currently I review material like this day before exam:
Maths: review formulas, maths questions from textbook, exam questions if time are done.
Chemistry: Review notes, mechanisms,organic pathways and formulas. Exam questions if time are done.
Biology: Review notes, do exam questions then review textbook.
Also any advice on keeping calm in general. I've only found out recently but people can vomit and feel faint if they're under alot of stress, including me.
I'm okay with any kind of advice on keeping calm because I feel like I'm loosing it-this feels like the most confusing and the most awful set of exams I've done but at the same time I'm willing to do anything to quickly change my perspective of this situation.
Also sorry for rambling and the bad english because my depressed ass favours science.
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Before exams I would listen to familiar music and try to focus on that. I find that if I focus on music I can't stress out so much on other stuff. It also helps to breathe slowly and calmly. Our bodies are designed to kick into panic mode whenever there is a threat and if we get stuck like that forcing ourselves to breathe calmly helps get us out of it.
I know exams can be very stressful, but just trust me when I tell you they aren't as big a deal as they feel. Even if you mess up entirely there are options and you'll be fine. Whatever happens you can get past it. It may take some time, but life isn't a race and even with a pants start you can still do really well in life. (This is coming from somebody who got a U in a paper with a comment that I was "confused").

Unfortunately I'm a bit too far past studies to give any advice on revision other than I found it helpful to do mocks. Two of my best papers were from when I did full mock answers based on the topics I knew would come up. All I had to do in the exams was remember what I wrote and make it relevant to the questions I had. Don't try too hard to cram in an impossible amount of info. Stick to some key points that will help with whatever comes up.

You might also like to have a chat with your school or maybe GP about how you're feeling. They can set you up with free counselling to talk through things a bit or give you other advice and support. You don't need to go through this alone and things got a lot better for me once I stopped trying to. I swear holding things in can be more stressful than the thing itself!
aps123
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you. I was quite worried when I wrote this and upset that no one was replying but that's when I realised they were busy revising.lol.
1. Okay, I'll try listening to some instrumental music, see if that helps. Oh, I do the forced breathing thing, sometimes in the exam hall itself, sometimes get insecure about it but it works for me to an extent.
2. Yup, I'm doing a lot more mock papers this weekend, on a more strictly timed basis. Going to make it my aim to answer every single question in a smaller amount of time than usual. I do unhealthily cram, so I'll do my best to stick to some key points only.
3. After my exams, I may look for help. My sibling already went to a GP and I got negative feedback from them, which does make me awry. It was a 'child-friendly' GP who just kept on spouting, 'it will get better soon and motivational quotes'.Then the counsellor they went to blamed all of their problems on their gender dysphoria. But I'll try things, like anxiety hotlines and the like if there are any, after my exams.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.74%
Note taking apps (7)
1.86%
Flashcards (86)
22.87%
Revision guides (19)
5.05%
Past papers (172)
45.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (14)
3.72%

Watched Threads