The Student Room Group

Road junction

On four way traffic light crossroad, do you have to move forward when on green (there is no filter light for right and no box to move into). ???
(edited 4 years ago)
No when its red you move dumb*ss
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about possible box junctions
Original post by HateSchx
No when its red you move dumb*ss
Original post by R2497
That's not what I'm taliking about. I'm talking about possible box junctions

I dont drive
Well perhaps you shouldn't call me a dumbass, especially when you don't drive
Original post by HateSchx
I dont drive
Original post by R2497
Well perhaps you shouldn't call me a dumbass, especially when you don't drive

Lmao when I said you move at red i thought you'd catch on that I was joking
Reply 6
Original post by R2497
On four way traffic light crossroad, do you have to move forward when on green (there is no filter light for right and no box to move into). ???

Not really understanding your question here. Why would you not move forward on green? Green means go?
I mean, when you're sitting stationary behind the line on red light. The light then turns green, then you have to wait in middle until a gap in traffic (when turning right )? I think this is that type of junction. It doesn't have right arrow light

Original post by IWMTom
Not really understanding your question here. Why would you not move forward on green? Green means go?
(edited 4 years ago)
Yes, when the light turns green, you move forward, if safe to do so. Proceed to turn right when safe. Position your vehicle appropriately so that anyone coming from the opposite direction to you can turn right when it is safe for them to do so. They might be able to turn right before you can.

Often you have to wait till the lights turn red before you can make your turn, due to the volume of traffic coming from the other direction. When this happens you have a few seconds to proceed with your turn before the lights turn green for the traffic to your left and right.

This is all the sort of stuff that should be covered by your driving instructor and something you should have practised many times before your test. Unless you live somewhere like the Highlands of Scotland with no traffic light junctions near your test centre.
thank you so much for your response. hopefully i have the knowledge now, knowing i wouldn't be at risk of being an obstruction / causing a crash by being in the way! wish i had more confidence
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Yes, when the light turns green, you move forward, if safe to do so. Proceed to turn right when safe. Position your vehicle appropriately so that anyone coming from the opposite direction to you can turn right when it is safe for them to do so. They might be able to turn right before you can.

Often you have to wait till the lights turn red before you can make your turn, due to the volume of traffic coming from the other direction. When this happens you have a few seconds to proceed with your turn before the lights turn green for the traffic to your left and right.

This is all the sort of stuff that should be covered by your driving instructor and something you should have practised many times before your test. Unless you live somewhere like the Highlands of Scotland with no traffic light junctions near your test centre.
DK's answer is good.

Some junctions will have proper marked boxes and wee filter lights, IME in most of those cases there will be a dedicated or marked lane for turning right. In all others you just need to creep past the green light in the middle of the lanes where safe, ideally leaving space on the left for other traffic to pass you (remembering their tail might swing out a bit if they turn left), and obv enough on your right for oncoming traffic. If there isn't enough space to pull into the center (narrow street, parked cars ect), you stay on the left before you turn, and it's just tough luck on the folk behind you, in that situation it's considered polite for oncoming traffic to pause and signal you to go first to avoid you blocking traffic (In my opinion anyway)
If it has a yellow box, and the traffic is built up, look ahead to see if you can proceed without stopping on the box, or blocking the junction. When turning right, you can stop in the middle, and must proceed when you can.
Silly that this was never covered in my lessons
Original post by Dunnig Kruger

(edited 4 years ago)
Can you pass an indian driving test???

What do you do at a green light?

Spoiler

what do you do at a yellow light

Spoiler

what do you do at a red light?

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending