The Student Room Group

What was your schools go to punishment?

What punishment was the most common in your school when I was at school the smallest indiscretion seemed to incur a detention fail to do your homework detention having private conversation about a teacher with a mate and they over hear you detention only one guy got ISS and they painted it as this really bad punishment so you get to go home on time and are able to concentrate and actually learn something oh yeah a detention is so much better idiots these few after school detentions mind not lunchtime or break.
(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

My school gives out little raffle tickets to people who are going well or behaving well in class and an alert slip (which could go onto the report card) to misbehaving students. If something really bad happens it is usually tO tHe RaNcH!

no, they go the vice-principle's office and get a suspension, the usual stuff.
It was usually a matter of either having a teacher scream in your face or a detention, depends on the teacher but usually detention and sometimes both.
Reply 3
We have C1, C2, C3 (choice, challenge, consequence) so people don’t get detention a lot unless they’re asking for it lol. C3 is a detention and C4 is isolation and you get taken out of class.

One time someone posted nazi-posters about Jews and got suspended for a bit. Someone was videoing fights and got suspended too. Heck, you even get isolation for unnatural hair until you dye it back. A few years ago you would get a detention after school if you didn’t bring in your planner lol
Reply 4
We had the 'Remove' section, which was basically isolation for the entire day/week. 'Where's Mark?' 'Oh he's in Remove for 3 days'. Grim.
I got into detention once, and even then I just bribed my teacher with a Mars bar and she let me go.
Reply 6
Making me stand outside the classroom. One teacher just didn't like me and he stopped letting me into his class altogether. I usually got sent to another class, where I didn't have any work to do, and the class was mostly girls. Happy days!
Reply 7
writing out lines usually......... 🙄🙄🙄
Detentions if you forget to bring your homework or are late to school, sent to isolation if you dye your hair a crazy colour or misbehave in class.
(edited 4 years ago)
School was quite lenient with punishments tbh. Detention if you forgot your homework multiple times and exclusion if you committed something serious (there was one girl who stole something from a shop whilst wearing her school uniform, not a smart idea).
Even then, there was a boy in the lower year who caused a lot of trouble apparently. He drank ethanol and smashed a computer screen (by accident) amongst other things.
Don't know how true these allegations were because I heard them from a guy whose sister was in this guy's class, but this boy did not get suspended because his parents were rich and paid money to the school annually so he got let off.
Pretty much isolation. It was all or nothing in my school. I nearly got sent there once for having too many lace holes in my boots and someone spent ages in there for shaving his head to support another student with cancer. The only difference was if you were caught with your phone it'd just be taken off you for the day.
1.5 hour detention on friday after school
1 and a half hour what the heck?? That's child abuse!
Original post by Glaz
1.5 hour detention on friday after school
How is having a private conversation about a teacher even detention-worthy, isn’t that just freedom of speech? :confused:

Our go-to thing was also detention and lines, but we also got them for the most minor reasons, such as a guy having his shirt untucked or his tie not done properly. One boy got expelled for wiping his bogies on someone else’s coat, and another for skipping school photo day to revise for his GCSEs. The latter ended up in the news.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by forgotten_one
1 and a half hour what the heck?? That's child abuse!

We're in sixth form tbf so they don't take any **** from us.
Reply 15
i only got one detention from french in year 9 for like 30 minutes then i got internal suspensed when i pushed a chair into somebodies chest when the chair was on the table that was for a day
Our full punishment system goes like this:

C1: Warning
C2: 30 minute detention after school
C3: 1 hour detention after school for high school or 1.5 hour detention after school on Friday for sixth form
C3a: 2.5 hour detention on Saturday morning
C4: Isolation
C5: Suspension
C6: Permanent exclusion
C = consequence (bad behaviour)

H1: 30 minute detention at lunch
H2: 1 hour detention after school
H = homework

For sixth form we don't get C1/C2, we go straight to C3
if you did something wrong you got a rule and had to write it on a clipboard, if you got 5 in a week you got a detention
Detention mostly or go to tge heads office.

Quick Reply

Latest